What A Difference A Year Makes

bigbendmarine

5 year old buck +
Almost wouldn't believe it if I hadn't witnessed it through camera captures... so last spring before bucks were even putting on any bone I noticed a small yearling (at least THINK he was a yearling?!) that was hanging onto a doe group that was feeding, and he had a distinct split ear visible. Got a few pics of him that spring. First pic below is the first time I saw him... he's on the far right of the photo. Have to look closely, but split in ear is visible.

Split-Ear May 2017.jpg

Split-Ear April 2017.jpg

By November he'd bulked up a bit and sported horns, but not in ANY way tempting... relatively small racked and with about every point broken off.

Split Ear Dec 17.jpg

Fast forward a SINGLE year and I get this photo from a stump holding a mineral block.

Split-Ear.jpg

Already tempted me twice this season... first this past weekend on the opening weekend of gun season. Always find coat color variations interesting and his was WAY darker than any others.

Split Ear (2).jpg

And then this morning when I looked out the front window of my home as I prepared to head to work. He was initially feeding on live oak acorns right against my fence but ran out with the doe just a ways to put distance between himself and one of my dogs that had run out to bark at them.

Split Ear Nov 17 (3).jpg

Split Ear Nov 17 (2).jpg

If I didn't have the history capturing images of him and the distinct split-ear, I'd swear him to be at least 3 1/2, with the reminder I'm down in North Florida, not exactly the capital of high-scoring deer (just takes 100 to make the wildlife commission-coordinated Florida buck registry). Anyone else surprised a 2 1/2 would be shaping up this nicely down my way? Would y'all put him at 2 1/2 based on the history of pics as well??? Tempting as he already is, can hardly imagine giving him 2 more years if he's lucky enough to avoid other area hunters AND roads.

On the road note, sadly lost a young one just this week that I recognized from many game cam captures... buck on the left with split brow tines. Don't know what percentage on the forum are crazy enough in the desire to salvage bones, but cut his head and horns off late yesterday after he'd already grown fairly... uhmmmm... ripe -- main reason being I've been wanting to get my hands on a young buck skull to mount horns from my very first buck killed MANY moons ago, a small basket 8, and have had difficulty finding pedicles close enough in size to somewhat match. Guardedly optimistic his skull will work, though hate the way I got it.

Split Brow Tine 18.jpg

I'm with you on the 2.5 age now...he should really be nice at 3.5

He was sure a scrapper last year, see how broke up he gets this year.

That progress looks typical of what we see here in NY. Although his antlers really progressed, his body size definitely suggests a younger deer. If I didn’t know the story or location and just saw a picture I would age him at 2 1/2.

Awesome! Thanks for posting, I love seeing progress pics like this. Very cool documentation.

He was sure a scrapper last year, see how broke up he gets this year.
Marks on his neck in the pic I took from the stand this year make me think he's being a scrapper again this year as welll... and based on tine survival rate is faring a bit better, at least thus far. :emoji_wink: