A rare find

BuckSutherland

5 year old buck +
I found these the day after rifle season closed here in MN while I was doing my post season scouting. I was in the Chippewa National Forrest about 125 yards south of my property looking for buck beds in a clear cut that is approximately 10 years old. Shocked to find one, and even more shocked that it only took me about 15 seconds to find the other side. This is a great deer for my area. I brought them home and my 4 year old daughter immediately took them from me and decorated her bedroom with them.

IMG_0889.JPGIMG_0909.JPG

Looks like the porcupines had a little snack. I hardly ever find any, maybe a handful in my life.

Looks like the porcupines had a little snack. I hardly ever find any, maybe a handful in my life.

better than a mineral rock!

bill

Are you allowed to hunt there?

That's cool. I rarely find one, and it's often a race against the mice and squirrels....

Are you allowed to hunt there?

It is legal to hunt in the Chippewa National Forest, but likely impossible to hunt this spot or anywhere close to it cause visibility is about 25 feet maximum. These clear cuts are incredibly thick at age ten. I figure they have been laying there since last January waiting for someone to pick them up. Our deer shed very early compared to deer further south. I also had 7 encounters with snowshoe hares while I was back there. Very cool to see as well. I think a few times it was the same animal, but very cool anyways and RARE. A few grouse mixed in as well. I saw a lot of grouse this year.

IMG_0887.JPG

It is legal to hunt in the Chippewa National Forest, but likely impossible to hunt this spot or anywhere close to it cause visibility is about 25 feet maximum. These clear cuts are incredibly thick at age ten. I figure they have been laying there since last January waiting for someone to pick them up. Our deer shed very early compared to deer further south. I also had 7 encounters with snowshoe hares while I was back there. Very cool to see as well. I think a few times it was the same animal, but very cool anyways and RARE. A few grouse mixed in as well. I saw a lot of grouse this year.

View attachment 32758

Can you hunt the entrances/exits?

Great find, I had 2 grouse under my stand last week while hunting in Otter Tail County. Typical! They seem to love to be around my stand when I am archery hunting!