606NT Press Wheels

if you look at the pictures, the last picture is the trunnion and that is what actually broke apart.
It's difficult for me to see any defect from your pictures. How did you know those Trunions were bad?.....could you see any defects?

Those pictures are of the new ones. The old ones were in pieces, not too hard to tell they were bad.

From your factory conversation and the pictures of the trunions and how they are shaped certainly if one side of the contact surface is gone one would think the arm would be pressured AWAY from the high side this creating pressure to one side or the other
The fact that the press wheel tracking is off to the same side in most instances may also indicate the prior owners propensity to always turn in the same direction when possible at end rows ..it is even possible that a slow lift speed had the operator unaware he was exerting lateral pressure on the units as they could have still been in the ground during the initial portion of his turn
If the above scenario has any fact to it.. it will unfortunately mean the sacrificial plastic bushings have done exactly what they were designed to do and protect the integrity of the metal components at the unit front pivot point ..rendering the replacement of all bushings necessary.. or at minimum ..pull the unit whose alignment seems the worst and do an autopsy on the bushing praying it did not go so far as metal to metal ..but even then very likely new bushings will give your machine plenty of life for what we are doing !

Disclaimer: I am not an expert..your mileage may vary ..and this and $1 will get you a senior decaf at McDonalds 😁
Bear

Guess what? That makes two experts and the reason I asked for help. I was hoping that someone had an idea about why the wheels were not tracking. The company guy is really trying to help solve my problem.

After I get the new trunnions all installed I will know if that helps and will post the results.

The new trunnions are installed and my problem is fixed. All press wheels are tracking over the furrow and closing it.

Attachments

• IMG_4650.jpeg
    IMG_4650.jpeg
    987.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4649.jpeg
    IMG_4649.jpeg
    864 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4648.jpeg
    IMG_4648.jpeg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4646.jpeg
    IMG_4646.jpeg
    996.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4645.jpeg
    IMG_4645.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Don’t ask me why because I don’t understand why? I just know that my press wheel problem is fixed.

Awesome man! thanks for sharing.

Have you figured out why your "low acre" machine had such an issue?

Anyone else had a bad Trunion?

I’ll admit, I did not think the trunnions wre even related to the tracking problem. Great info to have further down the road for other who may run into that problem.

I’ll admit, I did not think the trunnions wre even related to the tracking problem. Great info to have further down the road for other who may run into that problem.
Gotta wonder the cause of such problems. I would suspect turning too tight on corners.....but what do I know? Evidently I'm no expert. Grin. I bought a "slightly used"drill too.....and wish I had paid a little more for a new one. I've made peace with my drill now.....but I had a learning curve to overcome too.

Foggy: I was just happy to get the machine and did not know what to look for nor did I even look over the thing when I picked it up. Lesson learned: do some research and ask questions before jumping into the lake. I was a newby to no-till and was anxious to try it. Heck, I planted a whole field without engaging the drive wheel, talk about stupid.

As far as the trunnions are concerned, all of them were trash, in pieces, and had to be replaced. I did not think preplacing them would solve my problem, but I just finished planting some wheat and winter peas and the press wheels tracked directly over the furrow covering the seed. The Land Pride guy I have been dealing with was just as surprised as I was that the trunnions fixed the problem.

I do not think turning too tight destroyed the trunnions. The trunnions are made from some sort of hard rubber. They are hollow with an open cavity at the top. My idea is that water got into the cavity when I pressure washed the machine before storing it. If the water froze during the winter, it could have cracked the trunnions and destroyed them. In the future after I pressure wash the machine, I will blow out the trunnion cavities to get the water out.

it looks like the openers are following the coulters but the press wheels are not over the trench. I sent pictures to the Land Pride guy this morning hoping that he can see something that I am missing.

Here are pictures of the tracks. Some of the wheels are tracking right over the furrow and some are just to the right of the furrow.
Those all look like closed furrows to Me

I finished planting yesterday. Planted food plots with wheat, winter peas, clover and turnips, then I overseeded my pastures with wheat, ryegrass and winter peas. The press wheels did a good job of covering the furrows so I think replacing those broken trunnions did the job. If it rains and the stuff all comes up I will send y'all pictures.

I washed down my drill this morning since I have finished my fall planting and took the air hose to the new trunnions to check for water in them. Sure enough, they were all full of water. Now I figure that the old trunnions had water in them that froze over the winter destroying the old trunnions. New chore: blow out the trunnions after washing down the drill.

I seldom wash machinery. Just blow it off with an air hose or a leaf blower.....and sometimes spray some diesel fuel on shiney metal to prevent rust.

To each his own! I just have this thing about dirty equipment. But, if you do wash off your drill, blow the water out of the trunnions.

Just a suggestion!