606NT Press Wheels

I am in agreement with you. Either the guy knew the drill was damaged or it got damaged in transit. Ih well, that’s water under the bridge. Now I just have to figure out how to fix it. I’m calling Land Pride today.

New news: After emailing Land Pride and doing some checking to answer their questions about side play, I discovered that all of the opener trunnions except two are trash. The trunnions are just a block of rubber that attach to the T handle that is used to adjust the seed depth. As soon as I get the trunnions in and installed I will give an update.

Thanks for the update. Good info.

New news: After emailing Land Pride and doing some checking to answer their questions about side play, I discovered that all of the opener trunnions except two are trash. The trunnions are just a block of rubber that attach to the T handle that is used to adjust the seed depth. As soon as I get the trunnions in and installed I will give an update.
Any insight how these trunnions got damaged? And how do those affect the tracking of the closing wheels?

The trunnions have no affect on the tracking of the press wheels. They are the t-handles that are used to set the pressure on the press wheels and thus the seed depth.

According to the person at Land Pride that I talked with, the trunnions can get damaged by driving too fast while planting and operating over very rough ground.

What did they say about why it would be tracking crooked?

But what they didn't tell you is sometimes no matter what the seed trench won't always close over the seed. Many more times then not I've planted soybeans in a trench where they all show. Soil conditions matter. If it's damp clay that wheel won't close mine. If it's dry it will. I've never sweated it. Closed row or not the seeds always grow.

The seed that was put in the trench did come up. But most of the seed was scattered on top of the ground like I had broadcast it. I still don't have any idea why the press wheels are not tracking behind the openers. The Land Pride guy questioned as to whether the main seed box is level so I spent the last two days making sure the tongue and the main seed box and main tool bar are all set up according to the manual.

The Land Pride guy wanted me to check the row unit for side play. He said the front bushings are a plastic wear item that protects the metal components and that when the bushings wear the row unit will move around.

Are the openers following the coulters well or are they cheating a little to the side? Probably not creating a completely separate trench but I could see them opening a trench to the side and pushing that trench into the slit from the coulters.

The Great plains row unit steel isn't that thick I could see them getting tweaked if a guy turned too sharp with them in the ground..

it looks like the openers are following the coulters but the press wheels are not over the trench. I sent pictures to the Land Pride guy this morning hoping that he can see something that I am missing.

Here are pictures of the tracks. Some of the wheels are tracking right over the furrow and some are just to the right of the furrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4615.jpeg
    IMG_4615.jpeg
    990.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4614.jpeg
    IMG_4614.jpeg
    849.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4613.jpeg
    IMG_4613.jpeg
    826.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4612.jpeg
    IMG_4612.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
The row units could very well get tweaked, as you say, by turning with the unit in the ground. The arm is really long from the front tool bar to the back wheels and there is no support in the middle of the row unit.

I'm gonna be curious of what you find out here. That is pretty serious mis-alignment if you ask me. I would have to believe someone tweaked the steel in the row units. (Note to self.....don't turn any tight corners!)

I think turning tight corners is ok as long as you have the drill raised all the way and not in the ground.

I am waiting for the Land Pride guy to get back in touch. He wanted to know the serial number of my machine and said they had a lot of investigating to do. Don't know what to think about that?

The new trunnions arrived and I have install some of them. But, I thought it might be interesting for you guys to see the install process. The trunnions have to be separated from the t-handles to do the install. To do this you have to punch out the roll lin securing the t-handle to the spring shaft. I have attached pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4641.jpeg
    IMG_4641.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4640.jpeg
    IMG_4640.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4644.jpeg
    IMG_4644.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4643.jpeg
    IMG_4643.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4642.jpeg
    IMG_4642.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 14
The new trunnions arrived and I have install some of them. But, I thought it might be interesting for you guys to see the install process. The trunnions have to be separated from the t-handles to do the install. To do this you have to punch out the roll lin securing the t-handle to the spring shaft. I have attached pictures.
1. Does this look like it will better align your press wheels?
2. What caused the need to replace?
3. Good info.

I don’t know if replacing the trunnions are going to solve the tracking problem.

All of the trunnions were trashed. They broke, don’t know why but every one of them just came apart.

if you look at the pictures, the last picture is the trunnion and that is what actually broke apart.

if you look at the pictures, the last picture is the trunnion and that is what actually broke apart.
Is that somewhat common? Gotta wonder what causes that?

It shouldn't be common in my opinion. But mine were all trashed and needed replacing. According to the Land Pride guy Those can be broken from driving too fast while planting and from driving over really rough ground. I always plant at walking speed and my fields are not rough at all.