606NT Press Wheels

Skye King

5 year old buck +
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I just planted wheat with my 606NT Land Pride drill and the press wheels are not covering the seed. They are actually running to one side of the furrow. I have everything setup according to the manual and still the seed does not get covered. I thought that maybe the press wheels were mounted wrong but they are mounted just like the manual shows. Should the press wheels be running on top of the furrow or, as in my case, to one side of the furrow? I there any way to adjust where the press wheels run?

Sounds like something is bent or set up wrong? Do you have pictures by chance? Closing wheels should follow directly behind the openers.

Sounds like something is bent or set up wrong? Do you have pictures by chance? Closing wheels should follow directly behind the openers.
I thought the same but everything looks straight. I will send some pictures tomorrow.
I really think the drill is set up wrong. It has been like this since I bought it and I have been living with the problem. But, I want it to work right.

Did you buy it new or used? I’ve read of guys with similar problems that assumed it was damaged by people turning too sharp with the drill in the ground.

Did you buy it new or used? I’ve read of guys with similar problems that assumed it was damaged by people turning too sharp with the drill in the ground.
I bought it used. It had only a few acres on it when I bought it and I thought it would be perfect for my needs. You just might be onto something with the turning short while the drill is in the ground. I wonder how to check if that is the problem.

I bought it used. It had only a few acres on it when I bought it and I thought it would be perfect for my needs. You just might be onto something with the turning short while the drill is in the ground. I wonder how to check if that is the problem.
Got any ideas?

Plausible.

Got any ideas?
Do the wheels appear to be directly behind the disk openers when you have it lifted? How much side to side play is in the gear that holds those wheels?

My press wheels have that little rib in the center....which tends to ride in the slot caused by the openers. I kinda like that set up.

Do the wheels appear to be directly behind the disk openers when you have it lifted? How much side to side play is in the gear that holds those wheels?
There isn’t very much side play in the wheels and they are just to the side of the disc openers. Maybe a fraction of an inch. But enough that they don’t close the furrow.

There isn’t very much side play in the wheels and they are just to the side of the disc openers. Maybe a fraction of an inch. But enough that they don’t close the furrow.

I will take some pictures and send them tomorrow.
Maybe one of you guys will see something that I am missing.

Pictures as promised. I put a straight edge from the center of the openers to the center of the press wheels with the drill lifted. Everything is lined up right.

Attachments

• IMG_4598.jpeg
    IMG_4598.jpeg
    508.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4597.jpeg
    IMG_4597.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4596.jpeg
    IMG_4596.jpeg
    478.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4592.jpeg
    IMG_4592.jpeg
    758 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4590.jpeg
    IMG_4590.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4588.jpeg
    IMG_4588.jpeg
    674.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4587.jpeg
    IMG_4587.jpeg
    507.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4584.jpeg
    IMG_4584.jpeg
    625 KB · Views: 26
Not sure you can tell, but when the drill is down the press wheels are sitting jut to the right of the furrow.

BTW: I have been thinking about mounting a fertilizer tank on the front of the drill so that I can put down fertilizer as I plant.

Kinda hard to see the way things line up from the pics. (at least for me). If you raise your drill and grab those wheels with your hands......can you make them move from side to side? How many inches of "slop" do you have from right to left?

Did you buy it new and has it always been that way?

I'd call up land pride or great plains and get their input. If it was like that from the start i'd guess something is not square like it's supposed to be.

Foggy47: There is hardly any slop if I try to move the wheels side to side.
Wind Gipsy: I bought it used and it has always been this way. I haven't thought about calling Land Pride but that is a good idea.

Just to be clear....all your press wheels track right over the furrow and cover the seeds?

Just to be clear....all your press wheels track right over the furrow and cover the seeds?
yes, that’s how those press wheels are supposed to work and how my esch drill that is similar to a land pride works. If my new land pride 3p600 doesn’t work that way I’ll be be trying to figure out what’s wrong. I think someone sold you a drill that’s been damaged.. land pride would be a good source to inquire with what causes that.