24 in New York

Spur

5 year old buck +
Two days ago the weather channel posted a low temp of 35. I didn't want to take any chances so I covered my blossomed apple trees with tarps. Well, it got down to 24 degrees and I think that I still had a freeze under the tarps. I took the tarps off today and the leaves are brown and all of the petals were on the ground. I guess when it gets that cold any attempt to save fruit is futile.

I guess that's just part of it. Sucks in those years. I hope you have a bumper crop next year.

Spur,

Did it do any tip damage to your chestnuts ?
Chestnuts are fine, same with the nectarines and plums. The apples and peaches took a big hit.

Spur I can't believe it got that cold. Had a low of 36 at my place with some frost. BUt my trees are looking great. How about your grafts? You didn't plant those yet did you? Surprised the nectarines did fine as I thought they had same critical temp issue as apples

The grafts are sitting in my garage warm and cozy. I plan on planting those grafts tomorrow.

Well thank God for those. I planted 8 grafts so far and plan on about that many per week until all in

I had some burning on the edge of leaves on the trees I just planted. The big trees are almost to full bloom and seem to have handled the frost ok. We have another frost coming in a couple days hopefully that will be it but probably not.

Wow that is really late for frost in our neck of the woods. Good luck

I am looking at mid to upper twenties Saturday. Blossoms should be done by then. What effect does going that low have after fruit set? More importantly what effect will it have on all the new trees I planted this year that are leafed out. I knew these warm temps were going to be a curse.

I am looking at mid to upper twenties Saturday. Blossoms should be done by then. What effect does going that low have after fruit set? More importantly what effect will it have on all the new trees I planted this year that are leafed out. I knew these warm temps were going to be a curse.
28 will get 10% kill and 25 90% kill per the critical temp charts good luck !!!!

The leaves that were touching the garbage bags I put over the trees have all turned black, and the leaves that weren't touching the bags are okay.

The Weather Channel is calling for high 30's for the next 3 days and I am not taking a chance. I recovered them tonight with the "soldiers" and won't be uncovering them until Saturday.

My Bosc pears and Liberty apples are already developing so I am very protective of them right now and can't wait to eat some!

Supposed to be 33 here Friday night but that shouldn't cause any problems ..... I hope :eek:

28 will get 10% kill and 25 90% kill per the critical temp charts good luck !!!!

I was hoping that was not the case after fruit set. Bye bye apples this year looking at 25 for Saturday morning.

AccuWeather severe weather alert. Freeze watch in effect for Friday night.....Temperatures in the high 20S.

Impacts....Vegetation that may be impacted by freezing conditions should be protected.

So, at my house I have to plan for low 20S because of my elevation. This has been a great year for apples (sarcasm).

Warm weather comes too early in the spring anymore. As much as we like to see winter go, the temps. get too high - too quick. Buds break, blossoms pop and then a shot of cold out of Canada and fruit is toast. The gradual warm-ups of my childhood are no more. Radical temp. swings nowadays.

I was hoping that was not the case after fruit set. Bye bye apples this year looking at 25 for Saturday morning.
Keep the faith. Maybe you will not get that low. come to think of it the chart only goes to post bloom. I am not sure about what happens once apples are formed. I need to check as I am going down to 31 tonight

Keep the faith. Maybe you will not get that low. come to think of it the chart only goes to post bloom. I am not sure about what happens once apples are formed. I need to check as I am going down to 31 tonight

I am going to use Foggy's idea and cover them with sheets. We are definitely heading towards 25 or lower. Now I am starting to worry about all the dogwood and ninebark I planted.

Get contractor size garbage bags and zip lok ties. Keeps air trapped so it is warmer Inside.

Temp is set for 28 tonight in town, so I am expecting 20-22 degrees tonight. Brrrrrrr. my eye is on the prize. Only 1 more day of cold tempos until the fall!

I picked up some sheets at the Salvation Army. I am going to run sticks through the cage just above the tree and cover them with a sheet. My guess is we hit 23. Weather man said 25 easy so I will guess lower.

I hope you keep the frost off, Chummer. Same with Spur & Aero.