24 in New York

33 last night, I am sure I had a heavy frost. Another weekend of checking for damages.

Wow George great rain but a lot of spraying?

I think that cold night Spur worried about got some of my rootstock. I had everything else covered that night but some of these P.18. We got down around 30. Some P.18 has had the leaves brown and the stem turned from greenish to brown. They were about the last I planted, had the poorest roots and were likely stressed anyway. I planted a lot more P.18, about 60, on my parents farm 2 hours to the south and have not seen any problems on them. These might bounce back from the roots but I am starting to pull them just in case they caught something.

Wow George great rain but a lot of spraying?
Ya, and to much Pristine!!!...$$$$$$

I lost a lot of apples w/ that cold snap. Everything down low lost almost everything...:(

Ouch but you will have lots more Apple sales this year lol

Ouch but you will have lots more Apple sales this year lol
I've got some Gala. Zestar!. Macs, Macoun, Cortland and some HC's. Everything else is toast and each of those varieties is 25% of what it should be.

Oh my god what happened? Did the frost get you. Come down and help me then. Sorry to hear it George. I am debating how much to thin and 95% of my fruit able trees have apples. Macouns , HC, Gala, Winter Banana, Cortland, Fameuse, Wolf River, Freedom, Liberty, Enterprise etc etc I just hope I don't screw up. All of my Asian pears are doing great also. Getting some Fuji and Pixie Crunch as well and the Granny Smiths are loaded Arkansas Bkacks may be overloaded and the Goldrush are really full. My early Gingergolds are also very heavily fruited. I can't believe it for a change. Oh and will get a decent bunch of NY Bonkers 35 this year also

I've got some Gala. Zestar!. Macs, Macoun, Cortland and some HC's. Everything else is toast and each of those varieties is 25% of what it should be.

I'm really sorry to hear that.

Oh my god what happened? Did the frost get you. Come down and help me then. Sorry to hear it George. I am debating how much to thin and 95% of my fruit able trees have apples. Macouns , HC, Gala, Winter Banana, Cortland, Fameuse, Wolf River, Freedom, Liberty, Enterprise etc etc I just hope I don't screw up. All of my Asian pears are doing great also. Getting some Fuji and Pixie Crunch as well and the Granny Smiths are loaded Arkansas Bkacks may be overloaded and the Goldrush are really full. My early Gingergolds are also very heavily fruited. I can't believe it for a change. Oh and will get a decent bunch of NY Bonkers 35 this year also
28 at the house one morning, but it must have been colder down in the low spots. Just use Carbaryl, you really can't over thin, but I bet you're past the thinning window down there. How big are the apples?

Thanks Rally, I burned a couple mornings in bloom but this was after I set fruit and missed that it was supposed to get that cold. Probably a long duration too.

28 at the house one morning, but it must have been colder down in the low spots. Just use Carbaryl, you really can't over thin, but I bet you're past the thinning window down there. How big are the apples?

Thanks Rally, I burned a couple mornings in bloom but this was after I set fruit and missed that it was supposed to get that cold. Probably a long duration too.
I have been doing some by hand that lol really overloaded. Some are as big as ripe black cypher rise but HC are about large blueberry size. I have varying sizes on same tree and I kW some of the smaller ones won't make it. I will continue to hand thin as I see larger clusters I won't be able to get back to the farm until Monday so may be too late by then

Oh, very, very sorry to hear this Maya. :(

I have been doing some by hand that lol really overloaded. Some are as big as ripe black cypher rise but HC are about large blueberry size. I have varying sizes on same tree and I kW some of the smaller ones won't make it. I will continue to hand thin as I see larger clusters I won't be able to get back to the farm until Monday so may be too late by then
Make sure you thin HC's and Gala, both are biennial bearing. Also those Macouns have such small stems, they drop as soon as they mature if they are not thinned well. It won't hurt tho use carbaryl, even if you are late you may get some thinning and its ok on PC.

That's aweful Maya. I will have to check more on my land. I know some oaks and chestnuts got leaf burn but the apples that I saw looked fine.

Did your apples bloom on time this year or later than normal? Also, you you noticed the cold and snow staying longer or less in the spring? The NH moose biologist is blaming the moose tick issue on the early snow melts. They drop off the moose onto bare ground instead of snow and more live.

We were about 8-10 days later than normal. Snow is different every year, this year was fairly late. My oak leaves were all wilted, but they are forming new leaves and they look good. Our moose numbers are down quite a bit.

Make sure you thin HC's and Gala, both are biennial bearing. Also those Macouns have such small stems, they drop as soon as they mature if they are not thinned well. It won't hurt tho use carbaryl, even if you are late you may get some thinning and its ok on PC.
Ok thanks George.

NH I bet that moose is one Apple eatin machine once it finds them lol. Very cool

This young one visited my neighbors horses week. No mom with it. Not sure if it's last years or this years calf. Looks quite thin to be last years.

41357714-2DFF-4644-8EE5-98A62D026B47-819-000001CB3410F43F_zpsbteu3e0l.jpg

7D6F699F-A1C1-4F82-9C3E-164298D4C9D3-819-000001CB3F806D34_zpswdeqd6zb.jpg

Looks like the Ugly Duckling to me.

Aero,

I don't think they'll eat apples but, they love apple wood. They'll prune up to 8' high. If they get I to a commercial orchard they cause major damage.
Oh cmon I think they will eat apples and any other soft mast thing in their view !!!!

This Black Oxford on Antonovka rootstock was grafted in the spring of 2013, planted in the spring of 2014 and was one of my fasting growing trees last year. This spring I thought I had lost it until it finally started to leaf out just a couple of days ago. Sometimes these trees have you scratching your head :confused:.
6-2-15%20001_zpsztwl5fzk.jpg

This is a Centurion Crabapple showing how red it's new growth is.
6-2-15%20007_zpsin7bmdsy.jpg

A 10 year old Antonovka seedling finally has a few apples on this year. I believe these apples show some apple maggot or plum curculio damage???
6-2-15%20016_zpszhm8r0pg.jpg

That's PC feeding scars Grey.

Cool pics NH, well except for the last one.

Nice moose NH. Moose are expanding in NY so maybe I will see one in my lifetime. We didn't have bears five years ago and they are common now.
Another cold weekend, light frost today. I only found a couple apples on all the trees I looked at. Looks like another year with no apples. Happy to report my Bur oaks are pushing out a second batch of leaves after the first set froze. Not sure how many years a tree can go through that process, probably why there are no oaks in my area.

image.jpg