Impact of Ammo shortage on New Hunters

223 would be a great place to start for kids new to hunting and a lot of “5 rounds a year to check zero” adults too. Practice ammo would not be an issue and 77 gr TMKs will kill whitetails plenty dead.

Last edited:
Annnd this is probably why there is a shortage. It was the same premise with toilet paper last year. I'm not knocking you in particular because honestly, I haven't been in your shoes. I have been striking out for finding ammo for a year now and I don't know how I would react if I found some in stock for a reasonable price. I just think it's worth pointing out that it may not be a conspiracy, and that it may just be regular old customer behavior that's causing a shortage.
Slugs come 5 per box. 50 rounds is nothing. We are desperate for good slugs.

I’ve got plenty of end of the world and self defense ammo. But my hunting stock is getting low. Can’t find my favorite reloading powder or bullets either.

good job with the kids.

I've had plenty of "end of the world" ammo for many years, but must admit that I never really thought about common reloading stuff for my hunting rifles becoming so scarce like it currently is. Even though I probably have enough of these components to last the rest of my life, I made the decision a few weeks ago to spend some time every evening and see what could be found and stock up extra heavy. I've been able to get several things at nearly the normal price but paid a premium for the primers and one of the powders. But, I got very lucky on bullets and some other powder. When the last two orders arrive in a few day, I should be set for life, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

I’m set for a little while on most components but it would be tough to be a newby in these times. I’d load up some for a new hunter if they were local.

Attachments

• F3F43D09-031C-4127-859B-5D5DD86B74AD.jpeg
    F3F43D09-031C-4127-859B-5D5DD86B74AD.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 19
I have a Savage 220 20ga. that really only like one specific type of sabot. I haven't found any, at all, in the last year and a half and at this point I am down to 8 bullets.
When I bought the gun it was shotgun only hunting for my areas, of course the VERY next year they opened up both of my hunting areas to rifle hunting for deer. My entire life we have only been allowed to shotgun hunt so at the time it was a good investment but only hunted with the Savage for 2 seasons. I was stingy preseason shooting last year and since I can't find ammo I will likely switch back to my .45 T/C Encore muzzleloader or consider selling/trading my Savage for a deer rifle, the closest I have to a deer caliber is .300 Win Mag and that thing kicks like a b***H lol it is a bit overkill but I have 2 boxes of that ammo. NY sucks to find ammo and anything shipped has to go through an FFL license and my local gun stores seem to resist me everytime I ask them to receive shipped ammo for me. I always ask if they can get it first, the answer is always the same, "I'll try", but they never find it.

Not sure the deal there but in my opinion, ammo secures our 2nd Amendment Constitutional Right, hate to go there but --->> Biden stopping Russian ammo shipped to the US when we are already dry is nothing more than BS way to screw us in my eyes. JMO there but... if we were short on p****y hats he would make them available again!

The last couple years when handgun ammo was really hard to come by, I was buying up rifle ammo, and shotgun ammo. I have enough to last a life time, unless I decide to do a lot of target shooting. I have about 30 boxes of ammo for each rifle caliber I own, and cases of shotgun shells for bird hunting. I had stopped using slugs about 10 years ago, but I still have 10-20 boxes of slugs for hunting if I choose to hunt with them again. As I was typing this, I was feeling like the government is watching what I type.

The last couple years when handgun ammo was really hard to come by, I was buying up rifle ammo, and shotgun ammo. I have enough to last a life time, unless I decide to do a lot of target shooting. I have about 30 boxes of ammo for each rifle caliber I own, and cases of shotgun shells for bird hunting. I had stopped using slugs about 10 years ago, but I still have 10-20 boxes of slugs for hunting if I choose to hunt with them again. As I was typing this, I was feeling like the government is watching what I type.

Yes, the government is watching. Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that I sold all my ammo and firearms yesterday. I did keep my Roy Rogers cap pistol and Lone Ranger silver bullet, but the gun won't shoot the bullet.

Yes, the government is watching. Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that I sold all my ammo and firearms yesterday. I did keep my Roy Rogers cap pistol and Lone Ranger silver bullet, but the gun won't shoot the bullet.

Ya, me too, and I sold it all for a loss.

Screw them!
Mine is all legal as are all my guns. That is until they pass a law that takes me from law abiding free citizen to outlaw. When that happens I'll change my voter registration and be good.

Screw them!
Mine is all legal as are all my guns. That is until they pass a law that takes me from law abiding free citizen to outlaw. When that happens I'll change my voter registration and be good.

I keep losing my guns ... sold some to some guy ... hand a couple disappear at a shooting range ... they just seem to disappear.

As King Leonidas said ... Molon Labe!

Hope the "end of the world" doesn't happen too soon, took me an hour to make one projectile. At this rate...im pretty well screwed!20211016_141104_HDR.jpg20211016_140653.jpg

T
Hope the "end of the world" doesn't happen too soon, took me an hour to make one projectile. At this rate...im pretty well screwed!View attachment 37839View attachment 37840
That's cool.
If things get bad I'll send you some sharks teeth. They would be the prehistoric version of slick tricks...

Last edited:
T

That's cool.
If things get bad I'll send you some sharks teeth. They would be the prehistoric version of slick tricks...
Damn, now you got me thinking about that. Wonder how many deer have been killed in Mo. with a sharks tooth

Nice projectile point! You been flint knapping for long? Looks like a big piece of obsidian?

Ammo is crazy. I've had 30,000 rounds of 9mm and 15,000 rounds of .223 ordered since spring. They told me to expect at least a year for delivery, drop shipped from Federal. Still waiting...

Nice projectile point! You been flint knapping for long? Looks like a big piece of obsidian?
I have been knapping off and on for probably 30 years. Grew up and lived in north central mo at the time and didn't have access to any type of lithic resource, so I started ordering obsidian from Oregon. A 50 pound box was 55 dollars postage paid, at the time, and i ordered several boxes over the years. Even though I have quality chert locally here in the ozarks, I still like to work with obsidian and glass, its what I learned with. I plan on making a lot of points in the next year or two and trying to harvest a deer with one.

No slugs to be found in Minnesota. Going to be a lot of deer shot with rifles this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No slugs to be found in Minnesota. Going to be a lot of deer shot with rifles this year.

Around here I think you could charge 100 a box for 3in accutips. Really glad I have a smokeless Ml. A pound of powder and 100 primers go a pretty long way. Not sure dad has enough slugs to confirm zero this year.

I spent at least 8-10 hours looking for slugs for my shotgun...Could not find any and opted to change brands etc...When I did finally find some I had to spend $180 or more to get it...i ended up buying 10 boxes of stuff I did not want. Hope it ends soon.

Good slugs will not be available this year is what I heard.