1st rd done of grafting complete.

I checked about 5 scions last night that I thought were a little dry looking, possibly dead. They were totally green underneath. I'm hoping I didn't set them back to bad by snipping them off. Oh well, time will tell.

Lol, really? Oh man back to the drawing board! :)

I pinch them off the rootstock that have scions that are awake but leave them on the others until I know for sure, either way I try to only let 1 grow.

I'm at 51% and still climbing, I feel way better about this year than last year. I can't wait to try all these varieties in due time.
I will redo about 10 tomorrow as I think it's enough time that they should have awakened. Hope I can have success with old scion regrafts

Even if the scions are still green & alive your gonna cut and redo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if the scions are still green & alive your gonna cut and redo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will determine that when I cut but possibly because I have other grafts of the same variety that have already popped. If I do decide even if green I will cut down further to examine the scion to see what happened

My have been grafted since 3/15, I think perhaps yours even longer if they are still green now wouldn't the chance of success still be high, just the buds need more time?

I opened 2 and they looked green so I waxed and let them go but not w lot of hope. May leave them alone and try bud grafting as Ben does

I am very encouraged by the success you guys are having!!! I can't wait to get started. I have to get a cell phone so I can stay caught up on what is popping during the week.

Successful list grows for 2016 to include: *UPDATE, new additions*

Centennial Crab "Ranetka"
Monster Crab "Ranetka"
Roxbury Russet "Ranetka"
Farm Russet Crab "Ranetka"
Gold Rush "Ranetka"
Kerr Crab "Ranetka"
Viola Crab "Ranetka"
Golden Hornet Crab "Ranetka"
Lady "Ranetka"
Yellow Transparent "Ranetka"
Wolf River "Ranetka"
Fuji Red Sport 2 "Ranetka"
King David "Ranetka"
Geneva Crab "Ranetka"

Crimson Gold "B118"
Novaspy "B118"
Centurion Crab "B118"
Chestnut Crab "B118"
Pink Pearl "B118"
Pristine "B118"
Hudsons Golden Gem "B118"
Geneva Crab "B118"
Holiday "B118"
Empire "B118"
Frostbite "B118"
Arkansas Black "B118"
Freedom "B118"
Zestar "B118"
Cripps Pink "B118"
Adams Pearmain "B118"
Winter Banana "B118"
Spitzenburg "B118"
Kentucky Limbertwig "B118"
Fuji Red Sport 2 "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Pink Pearl "G30"
Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
Magness "OHxF97"
Magness "OHxF97"
Shenandoah "OHxF97"
Flemish Beauty "OHxF97"

Picture of a Shenandoah with a bit further along Harvest Queen in the background.
Shenandoah.jpg

Update: Mine were grafted about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Nothing yet. Yawn.

Update: Mine were grafted about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Nothing yet. Yawn.
Better wake them up. That's a long time with no growth. How are the rootstock doing? Any growth there

Better wake them up. That's a long time with no growth. How are the rootstock doing? Any growth there

Yes I'd agree with Paul that is an awfully long time to not see something. However I talked with Stu the other day, he said he grafts his and puts them in his unheated Garage in MN, when it finally warms up (after a month) he gets around 90% success.

Mine are in a cool basement. I'm not worried. Seems consistent with last year. Will know better next weekend. Stay tuned.

BV - I do the same as Stu does ..... an un-heated garage. I only did 10 total this year and it looks as though I've got 10 for 10. All scions showing some buds popping. Minnesota 1734 seems to be leading the pack for growth.

Edit: Prairie spy coming on strong in the last day or 2.

Last edited:
Successful list grows for 2016 to include: *UPDATE, new additions*

Centennial Crab "Ranetka"
Monster Crab "Ranetka"
Roxbury Russet "Ranetka"
Farm Russet Crab "Ranetka"
Gold Rush "Ranetka"
Kerr Crab "Ranetka"
Viola Crab "Ranetka"
Golden Hornet Crab "Ranetka"
Lady "Ranetka"
Yellow Transparent "Ranetka"
Wolf River "Ranetka"
Fuji Red Sport 2 "Ranetka"
King David "Ranetka"
Geneva Crab "Ranetka"
Black Oxford "Ranetka"
Anaros Crab "Ranetka"
Winesap "Ranetka"

Crimson Gold "B118"
Novaspy "B118"
Centurion Crab "B118"
Chestnut Crab "B118"
Pink Pearl "B118"
Pristine "B118"
Hudsons Golden Gem "B118"
Geneva Crab "B118"
Holiday "B118"
Empire "B118"
Frostbite "B118"
Arkansas Black "B118"
Freedom "B118"
Zestar "B118"
Cripps Pink "B118"
Adams Pearmain "B118"
Winter Banana "B118"
Spitzenburg "B118"
Kentucky Limbertwig "B118"
Ashmead's Kernel "B118"
Black Twig "B118"

Fuji Red Sport 2 "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Pink Pearl "G30"
Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
Magness "OHxF97"
Magness "OHxF97"
Flemish Beauty "OHxF97"
Shenandoah "OHxF97"
Shenandoah "OHxF97"
Kieffer "OHxF97"

Man ya'll I gotta say i'm so stoked, i've hit 50 successful grafts out of these 70 and I could not be happier. So ecstatic! After tonight we will have 50-60 plus degrees during the day and lows of 40s and 35ish so I'm gonna move them outside this weekend. However I have a new question for you guys that have been there done that.

What do I do about these grafts that are opening up with a flower and not a leaf?

Bloom.jpg
Bloom2.jpg

I opened 2 and they looked green so I waxed and let them go but not w lot of hope. May leave them alone and try bud grafting as Ben does
I wanted to chime in on this the anaros crab is it seems dried on the scion on 4/6. I clipped 1 bud off worth of wood and it was green. I re-sealed it with treekote and it has now woken up as of 4/13 so, did it help it along, did it not I'm not sure but its surely alive.

BV cut them off. They are aliens omg!!!!!!!!!! Bring in the bees so you can have apples lol. Just let them go. They won't fruit

I wanted to chime in on this the anaros crab is it seems dried on the scion on 4/6. I clipped 1 bud off worth of wood and it was green. I re-sealed it with treekote and it has now woken up as of 4/13 so, did it help it along, did it not I'm not sure but its surely alive.[/QUOTE

Don't mess with Mother Nature. Just let it go of its growing. I have some that the leaves are getting brown which means death soon

Here is 1 of 7 totes. Moving them from a unheated room into cold storage until I can plant them. We got 3.5" of rain a couple days ago. It will probably be the weekend before it dries out enough.

2ad270164f78dbf6bec0b271c16717c0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is 1 of 7 totes. Moving them from a unheated room into cold storage until I can plant them. We got 3.5" of rain a couple days ago. It will probably be the weekend before it dries out enough.

2ad270164f78dbf6bec0b271c16717c0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 of 7 totes, haha, dude your animal!

1 of 7 totes, haha, dude your animal!

Maybe, but after 3 straight days of grafting I was thinking more like man I'm a dumb a$$! :) Once you get into the groove of it (pun intended) things go pretty smooth. Already contemplating how many I will increase next year by, but have to finalize the nursery expansion first. I am out of room again! Experimenting with grafting stone fruits currently, we will see what my success rate is on those, not likely to be nearly as good.