1st rd done of grafting complete.

Some of the trees didn't make it into the nursery, I planted 3 of the ones I grafted this year (on G30) at my parents place. My moms requested Zestar & Pinata, since they are spread out flowering wise I added a Pink Pearl for color, who wouldn't enjoy a red fleshed apple. :)

Zestar!
Zestar.JPG
Pink Pearl
Ppearl.JPG
Pinata (Pinova, Corail, Sonata)
Pinata.JPG
@Turkey Creek he grafted this Homestead crab for me on B118 last year, I planted this at my parents previously for pollinating purposes and because of its sentimental value, not to mention it tastes good!
Homestead.JPG

I have to say thanks to @CrazyEd for showing my the way on this raised bed it turned out great, can't wait to nurse them for a year and get them out in the place they belong. :)

image.jpg I echo my gratitude to CrazyEd. New bed is 8'x12' and filled with 50/50 topsoil and mushroom compost. My grafts are on antonovka this year and they are waking up very slowly. I will need the same patience waiting for fruit. Will plant in about two weeks.

Looks like you have been busy! I grafted a couple of red fleshed apples this year as well, one is a wild apple found just last year by another apple junkie and one that is a custom graft for a customer in Missouri that does not know the variety of and believes there is a chance that the apple is a seedling planted over 60 years ago. Both apples reportedly taste good. Seems that there is no overwhelming support for a red fleshed variety that tastes good.

Looks like you have been busy! I grafted a couple of red fleshed apples this year as well, one is a wild apple found just last year by another apple junkie and one that is a custom graft for a customer in Missouri that does not know the variety of and believes there is a chance that the apple is a seedling planted over 60 years ago. Both apples reportedly taste good. Seems that there is no overwhelming support for a red fleshed variety that tastes good.

I have the Geneva & Rosedale crabs that are red fleshed also but they are mostly pollinating/deer apples I believe. Howver the wood and blossoms are said to be quite vibrant. Lots of reports say the pink pearl tastes good, time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chestnut Crab Bloom
ChestnutCrab.JPG

American Plum Bloom
AmPlum.JPG

I just noticed you said you used sawdust in your planting box. Might want to keep an eye on the nitrogen level as wood incorporated into soil requires a lot of nitrogen for decomposition. Looks like you have the grafting thing figured out. The last I saw all of the apples I grafted for you look to have taken as well. You will be busy planting!:)

I just noticed you said you used sawdust in your planting box. Might want to keep an eye on the nitrogen level as wood incorporated into soil requires a lot of nitrogen for decomposition. Looks like you have the grafting thing figured out. The last I saw all of the apples I grafted for you look to have taken as well. You will be busy planting!:)
The saw dust was mixed with cow manure, shouldnt be to bad of a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with turkey Creek keep an eye out for nitrogen deficiency. The amount of microorganisms required to break down the sawdust may very well tie up all the nitrogen making it unavailable to your plants.

These trees are only there for a year.

This is a tree that I have reproduced but its the mother tree, the neighbors last names are the mustards since I was like 7 so I call it the Mustard Crab, TC is grafting one for me this year.
Mustard Bloom.JPG
Mustard_Full.JPG
This is the Homestead Crab in Bloom.
Homestead_Bloom.JPG
Homestead_Full.JPG

This is another neighboring trees, red bloom, brilliant color any takers? I'll take pics later to see what size apple they form.
P1010310.JPG
P1010311.JPG

They look great BV. We have a few wild crabs and a couple I grafted, but having a few more for pollination couldn't hurt. Do you plan on letting the two year old tree set any fruit? Didn't know if it would set them back with crabs being small.

They look great BV. We have a few wild crabs and a couple I grafted, but having a few more for pollination couldn't hurt. Do you plan on letting the two year old tree set any fruit? Didn't know if it would set them back with crabs being small.

I have to lay some more plastic and put some rock down this weekend at my orchard, I will be pinching all those flowers off, its to young for that kind of stuff yet but it sure made me smile! :)

I drive an 01 F150 super cap, short short short box but I got a 1/4 yard of crushed limestone pushing it to its max, busy day tomorrow in the orchard. Also a really cold day! LOL!

Got a few updates on progress.

2016 Grafts that are planted out.
Meyers Royal (sweet crab rootstock)
Meyers_Royal_Limbertwig.JPG
Farm Green Crab (Sweet Crab Rootstock)
Farm Green Crab.JPG
Black Creek Crab on sweet Crab rootstock (discovered last year http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/new-cadidate-old-school.4495/)
Black Creek Crab.JPG
2016 Field Grafts to established Antonovka Rootstocks...

Golden Hornet Crab
Golden_Hornet_Antonovka.JPG
Monster Crab
Monster Crab_Antonovka.JPG

The old farm crabs in bloom...

Farm Russet Crab (#1)
Farm_Russet.JPG

Farm Red Crab (#2)
Farm_red.JPG

Farm Green Crab (#3)
Farm-Green.JPG

2015 Grafts in the Orchard updates....

B118s....

Northwest Greening
NWG.JPG

Homestead Crab
Homestead2.JPG

Winter Wildlife Crab
Winter Wildlife Crab.JPG

There is a bit of a burn on the top of the WWC, perhaps from cutting off all the blossoms, maybe it didn't like that? I did add compost down under the rock & plastic..
Burn.JPG
Winter Lane Crab
Winter Lane Crab.JPG

Antonovkas....

Sink Hole Crab
Sinkhole Crab.JPG

Enterprise
Enterprise.JPG

Liberty (I left a small nurse type branch from the root stock for support)
Liberty.JPG

Homestead Crab on B118 from TC he grafted last year, put it over looking the marsh.
Homestead TC.JPG

Great pics, you've put a lot of effort into all those. How old are the big crabs? They have some pretty massive trunks.

Great pics, you've put a lot of effort into all those. How old are the big crabs? They have some pretty massive trunks.

Well my wifes grandma, who lives there just turned 82 this April. She remembers eating apples from them so boy I just am not sure, maybe 120?