1st rd done of grafting complete.

NY-T I almost fell out my chair when i saw that middle pic! LOL I thought you did all that for a second, I was gonna say you win hands down, HAHA! What all did you buy from cummins?

Hilarious about the Cummins pic. Not sure why pictures show up before the text on my posts. I am trying to contribute more posts in 2016, but still learning how. My Cummins Trees:

Primarily For the Deer
Enterprise
Goldrush
Kerr
King David
Galarina
Liberty
Keepsake
Florins Querina
Golden Russett

Primarily for the Family
Zestar!
Sweet 16
Crimson Topaz
Honeycrisp
Pixie Crunch

Thats a solid list! On B118?

Thats a solid list! On B118?
Antonovka this year. I had about 80-90 in the ground before this year, mostly on b.118 and some mm.111.

Antonovka this year. I had about 80-90 in the ground before this year, mostly on b.118 and som mm.111.

Wow did you really? I have a mix of B118, Antonovka, & Ranetka. At home I have M7 & G30.

11 more have opened up since Saturday night!

Successful list grows for 2016 to include:

• Centennial Crab "Ranetka"
  • Monster Crab "Ranetka"
  • Roxbury Russet "Ranetka"
  • Farm Russet Crab "Ranetka" (can be seen on page 8, post #152)
  • Crimson Gold "B118"
  • Novaspy "B118"
  • Centurion Crab "B118"
  • Chestnut Crab "B118"
  • Pink Pearl "B118"
  • Pristine "B118"
  • Hudsons Golden Gem "B118"
  • Geneva Crab "B118"
  • Fuji Red Sport 2 "G30"
  • Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
  • Magness "OHxF97"

Overjoyed on the success so far this year!

Hudsons Golden Gem (GRIN)
Hudson.JPG

Roxbury Russet (GRIN)

Roxburry.JPG
Centennial Crab (CrazyEd)
Centennial.JPG
Farm Russet Crab (Buckvelvet)
Farm Russet.JPG

Geneva Crab (GRIN)
Geneva.JPG

I gotta tell you from the onset I have wanted to have a red fleshed apple/crab to have successful pink pearl and geneva is freaking awesome. Still hoping a rosedale will wake up but time will tell. The farm russet crab has a special place as my wifes grandma (land owner where my orchard is) just turned 82 this past week and she's going to be so excited as she asked me to make the 3 trees on the property live on!

image.jpeg Looking good BV I always thought of money when they would say show me the green. Now I see think tree buds lol Here is updated shot of my grafts. I was going to re graft the 3 sleepers in the one bucket but when I cut the tip the scion was green and the buds seem a bit chubby so I sealed it back and will give it more time. I did check one in rootrappers and the scion was browning so re grafted that one. See BV you can put them anywhere lol. This is the front entry to my house. 30 out of 50 are showing signs of life so far Only 60% til now but hope to get it over 75% need 7 more to pop to get there

Last edited:
13 more have popped open, yeehaw! Up to 40% success which is way better than last year so far, so i'm giddy and enjoying it.

Camera needs to be charges so I'll have to put up some pics on Weds when I check again.

Successful list grows for 2016 to include: *UPDATE, new additions*

• Centennial Crab "Ranetka"
    Monster Crab "Ranetka"
    Roxbury Russet "Ranetka"
    Farm Russet Crab "Ranetka"
    Gold Rush "Ranetka"
    Kerr Crab "Ranetka"
    Viola Crab "Ranetka"

Crimson Gold "B118"
    Novaspy "B118"
    Centurion Crab "B118"
    Chestnut Crab "B118"
    Pink Pearl "B118"
    Pristine "B118"
    Hudsons Golden Gem "B118"
    Geneva Crab "B118"
    Holiday "B118"
    Empire "B118"
    Frostbite "B118"
    Arkansas Black "B118"
    Freedom "B118"
    Zestar "B118"
    Cripps Pink "B118"

Fuji Red Sport 2 "G30"
    Zestar "G30"
    Zestar "G30"
    Harvest Queen "OHxF97"

Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
    Magness "OHxF97"

I see you have an Ark. Black in the success column. I just noticed our Ark. Black is growing REALLY well and is a nice-shaped tree. Can't wait to see what this year brings for that tree !! Good luck with yours.

I see you have an Ark. Black in the success column. I just noticed our Ark. Black is growing REALLY well and is a nice-shaped tree. Can't wait to see what this year brings for that tree !! Good luck with yours.

Before that opened I had extremely bad luck with varieties with black in the title.

I just checked my grafts in the garage. It looks like I have 8 or 9 out of 10 grafts starting to pop buds on the scions. I hope they keep on going. They've been in the garage for about 10 days. I hope it's not just the energy stored in the scion, and the grafts are " taking " !! This is only my second year of trying to graft. Last year most of mine got eaten by gypsy caterpillars when put outside. How long should I keep them in the cool, dark garage before moving them into the house near a sunny set of sliding doors ??

image.jpg
I just checked my grafts in the garage. It looks like I have 8 or 9 out of 10 grafts starting to pop buds on the scions. I hope they keep on going. They've been in the garage for about 10 days. I hope it's not just the energy stored in the scion, and the grafts are " taking " !! This is only my second year of trying to graft. Last year most of mine got eaten by gypsy caterpillars when put outside. How long should I keep them in the cool, dark garage before moving them into the house near a sunny set of sliding doors ??
Don't ask me mine have been next to my window in living area of my home one week after grafting 40 out of 50 show signs of life

40 out of 50, show off. I hope one of your dutch neighbors finds their wooden shoe indenting your shin. :)

Seriously though, it could happen.

I will check mine again weds night, then I will probably regraft some grafts scions that look dried out. Is it to much to ask for 100% success miracle type stuff.

Comeback kid is on the trail.

how can u tell if one of your scions is dri3ed out?

how can u tell if one of your scions is dri3ed out?
If you have more than one bud on your scion then cut the top of the scion with shear and see what it looks like. If it is still green maybe you just reseal and let it go if it looks a bit dry re graft. If it's still good scion it's not a sure loss if u snip the end and then reseal with wax

Successful list grows for 2016 to include: *UPDATE, new additions*

Centennial Crab "Ranetka"
Monster Crab "Ranetka"
Roxbury Russet "Ranetka"
Farm Russet Crab "Ranetka"
Gold Rush "Ranetka"
Kerr Crab "Ranetka"
Viola Crab "Ranetka"
Golden Hornet Crab "Ranetka"
Lady "Ranetka"
Yellow Transparent "Ranetka"

Crimson Gold "B118"
Novaspy "B118"
Centurion Crab "B118"
Chestnut Crab "B118"
Pink Pearl "B118"
Pristine "B118"
Hudsons Golden Gem "B118"
Geneva Crab "B118"
Holiday "B118"
Empire "B118"
Frostbite "B118"
Arkansas Black "B118"
Freedom "B118"
Zestar "B118"
Cripps Pink "B118"
Adams Pearmain "B118"
Winter Banana "B118"
Spitzenburg "B118"
Kentucky Limbertwig "B118"

Fuji Red Sport 2 "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
Magness "OHxF97"
Magness "OHxF97"

So 8 more popped open since Saturday woo whoo!

Heres a pic of a Lady on Ranetka opening up.
lady.jpg

Hey BV, you'll be getting your Master Grafter certificate in the mail soon. :D The birth of a legend. People will look at you in awe and speak of you in hushed tones.:cool: The scion whisperer.

BV it's the tops that should be getting green not the bottoms lol. Don't be counting those!!!!!! Hahaha

BV it's the tops that should be getting green not the bottoms lol. Don't be counting those!!!!!! Hahaha

Lol, really? Oh man back to the drawing board! :)

I pinch them off the rootstock that have scions that are awake but leave them on the others until I know for sure, either way I try to only let 1 grow.

I'm at 51% and still climbing, I feel way better about this year than last year. I can't wait to try all these varieties in due time.