What's for dinner?

Guessing you must be down south FL way right now, right Eggman? Pretty catch!

Not currently but when we caught the Oscars I was. Fishing for them is silly. I should just be called catching. They eat anything that hits the water!

6607A282-DBBB-424B-8459-B120B7F5C836.JPG Shrimp Scampi cooked in garlic, a little butter and dry white wine. Served over Whole Wheat Penne pasta with sautéed mushrooms and oven roasted asparagus. 400 -500 calories depending on serving size plus the leftover wine to drink. The bonus is the house smells like garlic for the rest of the night!

Not currently but when we caught the Oscars I was. Fishing for them is silly. I should just be called catching. They eat anything that hits the water!

My son has a big one of those in a tank. I'd love to eat him, but it's not in the cards.

IMG_1029.JPG

I love long weekends with plenty of time to cook in the kitchen. Chicken and sirloin kabobs, roasted mushrooms with cherry tomatoes, garlic roasted potatoes, Oven baked breaded eggplant and the last venison tenderloin from the freezer.

Had to work this past weekend so we all pitched in and had an old fashioned crab boil!

Nothing like getting paid and eating well.

ykGG3Yn.jpg

Last edited:
Spud - At post # 219 you mentioned cooking too much bacon ( if that's possible ). Did anyone out there ever cook a PILE of bacon and have the leftovers go un-eaten ?? At our place, if there's any left over from breakfast, we let it sit on a plate on the stove or the counter. Every passer-by grabs a piece and by mid-afternoon, it's ALL gone !!!

This post is confirmation of your premise that you can't cook too much bacon !!! :emoji_yum: :emoji_thumbsup:

Spud - At post # 219 you mentioned cooking too much bacon ( if that's possible ). Did anyone out there ever cook a PILE of bacon and have the leftovers go un-eaten ?? At our place, if there's any left over from breakfast, we let it sit on a plate on the stove or the counter. Every passer-by grabs a piece and by mid-afternoon, it's ALL gone !!!

This post is confirmation of your premise that you can't cook too much bacon !!! :emoji_yum: :emoji_thumbsup:

We do the exact same thing up at duck camp!
One of the guys in our duck club cooks bacon like he is mad at it...there is always a plate of crispy bacon on the edge of the counter and it's just like you say, everyone grabs a little when passing by.

We've been trying to eat a little more healthy, more fish and poultry. A few months ago I bought 120lbs of turkey and ground it to replace some of the beef we would normally use. Last night I made spaghetti and meatballs. In place of the pasta I baked some spaghetti squash, cut in half. I used turkey in place of beef for the meatballs. Browned the meatballs and then baked them in the sauce. Fill the half squash with the sauce and balls and sprinkle with parm if you like. It's a simple meal not as fancy as some of the dishes I see here but we liked it very much.

Dsinwi - My wife and I have been eating a lot more turkey burger as well. One of our favorite ways to use it is to make patties and grill them just like beef burger. Plain turkey doesn't have much taste, but I season the burger with lots of diced onion and celery, ground rosemary, sage, thyme, and lower sodium seasoned salt. They have a good taste right off the grill with or without a bun. I like to sprinkle some Frank's hot sauce on them in a sandwich. Fresh lettuce and a thin slice of sweet onion & maybe a slice of tomato makes a great burger sandwich of grilled turkey.

I just made some of those this past weekend and they got hammered by all of us here. ( HINT: Just be sure to oil the hot grill before tossing the turkey burgers on it. With such low fat in it, the turkey will stick to the grill without oiling it after it gets hot. )

We've been trying to eat a little more healthy, more fish and poultry. A few months ago I bought 120lbs of turkey and ground it to replace some of the beef we would normally use. Last night I made spaghetti and meatballs. In place of the pasta I baked some spaghetti squash, cut in half. I used turkey in place of beef for the meatballs. Browned the meatballs and then baked them in the sauce. Fill the half squash with the sauce and balls and sprinkle with parm if you like. It's a simple meal not as fancy as some of the dishes I see here but we liked it very much.

My wife turned us onto spaghetti squash (Jake and I call tests like this "tree hugger food"). Much to my surprise I really liked it. Please don't tell my wife :emoji_wink:

Dsinwi,
I hear you. Chicken Caesar salad tonight with light dressing. It was ok.
But I would have preferred h20's seafood fry.

Been doing turkey burgers for years. I mix celery salt and chopped onion and pan fry mine. Serve it on a toasted English muffin with mayo and lettuce. Have not been brave enough to grill them yet but will have to give that a try.

Whatever is leftover from breakfast will get put on toast with tomato & mayo by mid-morning ... no one is ever "hungry" they are just nibblers around our place ... :emoji_slight_smile:

My Mom was up this weekend and we did brined, then smoked cornish game hens, collard greens, and green bean, kidney bean, tomato, potato salad.

The cornish game hens turned out amazing with the brine & smoke ...:emoji_slight_smile:

IMG_20170624_210648.jpg

You're Mom has permission to visit me....