Process for converting hay to NWSG/Forb

turkeyhunter20

Yearling... With promise
My plans are to spray this field with Gly after a frost or two. Starting from the base of the hill to the back i would like to convert it from the current hay fields into a NWSG/forb/pollinator mix. I don’t really care to disc on the sides of these hills for the sake of erosion control. Can these seeds be broadcasted into the dead grass that is currently there or could it need to be drilled?
db1d16093454607eebe6dca79eefffec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll add, These fields have never been sprayed with chemicals. They’ve been limed and fertilized but never sprayed

There are some great posts about this process on this forum already. I would recommend digging up those threads and reading some of what has already been written. I would also check out some of the various podcasts with Craig Harper centered around "old field management".

In many cases, you can get away without actually having to seed some areas. It all depends on what comes up after you spray and/or burn the existing forage grasses.

Starting this early winter, I will be doing the same with about 40 acres of current pasture scattered around my new farm.

You can broadcast it on top, but it's so expensive, I'd drill it. I've done both ways, and I'd rather drill. That being said, I did some test areas without planting, and those did great without seeding anything. They were basically hayed, lightly disced, planted into a fall annual food plot mix, and left to fallow. But, I did most of my fields with planting through an EQIP program that paid for all the seed, planting, and spraying. I also did a small pollinator planting by using glyphosate, burning it, then spreading the seeds on top. That worked too. I guess what I'm saying is there are a couple ways to do it, it's up to you which way is best for your situation. If you don't want to wait to get funding through NRCS to pay for it, go the route you're on, and spray glyphosate when the cool season grasses start getting taller in a few weeks. Then, wait to see what comes up in the spring, and deal with problem weeds like johnsongrass then. In your situation, I'd do just that and not plant a thing right now.

One more thing, and I really struggled with believing this, but go easy on the NWSGs. This was my planting mix, and I wish I would have gone with less grass:

PlantingMix.png

My plans are to spray this field with Gly after a frost or two. Starting from the base of the hill to the back i would like to convert it from the current hay fields into a NWSG/forb/pollinator mix. I don’t really care to disc on the sides of these hills for the sake of erosion control. Can these seeds be broadcasted into the dead grass that is currently there or could it need to be drilled?
db1d16093454607eebe6dca79eefffec.jpg

What is the current grass? I recall that having a big impact on the best course of action.

Usually for NWSG is around 10lbs per acre for a solid stand.i agree with these guys and would lighten that up.I would bet in a few years the NWSG will choke out the forbs.Thats why I didn't re enroll my wetland because I had to plant forbs and it was going to cost more to buy seed every couple years than what they were going to pay.Make sure your forbs aren't annuals.Also when they say discing can help it doesn't mean discing like you were going to plant in it it's just breaking service.Do you want to create a bedding area or feed?

Have no plans for more NWSG but If I ever do it again it will be 2 lbs of switch and 6 to 8 pounds of mixed clovers. I think Forbes are expensive and I assume finicky. Last field I planted switch at 2-3 lbs/acre and natural clover filled in. That was a beautiful bed and breakfast for years.