What's for dinner?

Special meal today after church. Wild turkey, homemade noodles, mashed potatoes and sweet corn. Morels for dessert. The turkey and the morels were harvested yesterday. 20170423_131920.jpg

Someday Isle - That grub looks mighty tasty !! ( post #174 ). How long do the asparagus & mush's take to roast in the oven ??

Bill - I've had some pretty good soups that had kale in them. Like you said, with the right added ingredients, it's pretty good eating - and healthy. I'm in for ANY bean - all good to me. Please post up your bean & kale recipe / pic.
The one soup w/ kale I tried had Italian sausage, tomatoes, garlic, white beans & I don't remember what else. My cousin made it and I'll have to ask for the recipe. It was VERY good though.

We do oven roasted vegetables all the time. Spray a glass pan with a little Pam, add a dollop of butter or margarine (or a little olive oil), cover with foil and put in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes. We also do both yellow and zucchini squash like that cut into 1/4 inch thick slices. Fresh green beans and mushrooms is another great combination. I throw in some cherry tomatoes once in a while too. My wife didn't eat a lot of vegetables when we got married. I grew up eating every fresh vegetable you could grow from our family garden. She just never ate fresh vegetables before. Now she loves them and we have them three or four times a week. 400 degrees for 25 minutes seems to work for just about everything. It's cooked all the way through but still crisp and not soggy (except the squash - it's always a little soft).

We did oysters "somewhat" Rockefeller last night. Shucked them then some lemon juice, garlic butter, Parmesan cheese, and a few jalapenos. Under the broiler for above 5 minutes. Add additional goodies and enjoyed!

About 4-5 were eaten raw with a dab of Tabasco unfortunately ... :emoji_slight_smile:

View attachment 12890

View attachment 12891

View attachment 12892
Spud
Did you get them out of the Wisconsin river :emoji_grin:

St. Patrick's day weekend we bought an extra corned beef roast. No pictures today but we did corned beef, mashed potatoes and a broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mix. It's just as good now as it was in March. The boys just destroy it.

We did oysters "somewhat" Rockefeller last night. Shucked them then some lemon juice, garlic butter, Parmesan cheese, and a few jalapenos. Under the broiler for above 5 minutes. Add additional goodies and enjoyed!

About 4-5 were eaten raw with a dab of Tabasco unfortunately ... :emoji_slight_smile:

View attachment 12890

View attachment 12891

View attachment 12892

We do them the same way on the grill, although I like them every way I can get them!

I do most of the cooking at our house. I am growing tired of it since I find myself recycling the same things, the cooking part I don't mind. A few month ago I implemented "whatever you want Wednesday". We can all eat whatever we would like, you just need to make it yourself....
It's been a huge success for me.

Someday Isle - That grub looks mighty tasty !! ( post #174 ). How long do the asparagus & mush's take to roast in the oven ??

Bill - I've had some pretty good soups that had kale in them. Like you said, with the right added ingredients, it's pretty good eating - and healthy. I'm in for ANY bean - all good to me. Please post up your bean & kale recipe / pic.
The one soup w/ kale I tried had Italian sausage, tomatoes, garlic, white beans & I don't remember what else. My cousin made it and I'll have to ask for the recipe. It was VERY good though.

Made Italian wedding soup tonight. I used Kale instead of escarole. You couldn't tell the differance.

image.jpeg

Bill - That soup looks mighty tasty !! Nothing like a bowl or 2 of good, homemade soup.

Bill - That soup looks mighty tasty !! Nothing like a bowl or 2 of good, homemade soup.

It's good. Better on a cold day but...
and easy to make, though rolling a pound of tiny meatballs get old fast.

Italian wedding soup

Serves 4 or double for 8 (I always double it)

1/2 lb ground beef
1 egg
2 TBSP Italian bread crumbs
1 TBSP Parmesan cheese
1/2 TSP Onion powder
1/2 Tsp Basil

Mix above and make small meatballs. Don't cook them.

Bring 5 1/2 cups chicken broth to a boil. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped carrot, 1/2 cup orzo pasta, 2 cups kale or escarole and meatballs. Return to a boil and cook 10 mins.

IMG_1021.JPG Chicken Marsala with whole wheat penne pasta - two whole chicken breasts cut into cubes, mushrooms, and pasta cooked in marsala wine and cream of mushroom soup - served with steamed broccoli and carrots and a light salad. Only about 750 calories for the whole meal including a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top.

^^^gotta start cooking like that.

Thanks for posting the recipe for the Italian wedding soup, Bill. Gonna try it !!

Grass fed LongHorn t-bone. Aged 10 days at the locker and then finished in the refrigerator (turns out I didn't need the knife, fork cut tender). Beautiful evening on the deck with a first class meal!

a5bc7e6f75eb2411d3e918e763faa78b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Avocado toast with 2 poached eggs for breakfast this am ...

avacado toast IMG_20170509_070212 (002).jpg

Grass fed LongHorn t-bone. Aged 10 days at the locker and then finished in the refrigerator (turns out I didn't need the knife, fork cut tender). Beautiful evening on the deck with a first class meal!

a5bc7e6f75eb2411d3e918e763faa78b.jpg

Only 10 days? :) Best steak I've ever had was a 40-day dry aged porterhouse. Grass fed. Have had a 130-day dry aged NY strip. I typically don't like strip, but that was fantastic as well. Both cooked at home.

Only 10 days? :) Best steak I've ever had was a 40-day dry aged porterhouse. Grass fed. Have had a 130-day dry aged NY strip. I typically don't like strip, but that was fantastic as well. Both cooked at home.
Ya, the guy I got them from said the locker aged them 10 days. I usually dry, season, and then age for another week or so in the fridge before cooking. I don't have the humidity control to go 130-days. That is a long time to age a steak. I bet they are great!!!

Nice Catscratch...tell me more about that sweet looking bone handle knife.

I need to step up my game...I haven't posted any good meals in this thread in months!

Nice Catscratch...tell me more about that sweet looking bone handle knife.

I need to step up my game...I haven't posted any good meals in this thread in months!
Thanks! They are custom made for the kids and I by a guy who my dad use to work with at the local machine shop. We have a good collection of them...
92fb7659cd2cd0343b1c8dc7ea2ed5fe.jpg
c0eb996350c7d4264b35b0d0f6526017.jpg