What Bud Stage are your Apples at?

i am at 40 to 50 % petal fall depending on variety and had some bees flying yesterday. Sunny now and 41 so should get more bee activity today. My late varieties mostly cider at just at pink. George what do you consider petal fall? 99% or above or something lower? My Bonkers 35 trees are already setting fruit and full petal fall

90%. If you are think about thinning, ya you have to spray a couple different days. I normally get to varieties like Zestar! and Pristine first and then have to wait a few days to get others. I like to make sure I get to them asap, right at 90% especially if they are on the outside of an orchard block. If you are using Carbaryl, it's also good on PC, and they are slow movers, so you will see them on the outer trees first.

Tt amazes me Maya you being only a couple hours south of me and your trees are at full bloom. I'm still at pink but should open up with the first warm-up. I think I saw the same two bees heading south since your trees are at an advanced stage (bloom).

Tt amazes me Maya you being only a couple hours south of me and your trees are at full bloom. I'm still at pink but should open up with the first warm-up. I think I saw the same two bees heading south since your trees are at an advanced stage (bloom).

LOL, it was a bee fest out here yesterday!

Tart Cherries.........

DSCN3696.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG Thanks for the input George. I will be spraying different trees different days for sure to thin. My Zestar and Ginger Gold first then Cortlands and Fuji. My sweet 16 even though they are small apples I think u will thin because the tree looked pink not green this year lol. Will start spraying Tuesday when I get back to farm. My Topsin, Avaunt and Max Cel plant growth regulator all came yesterday so I am loaded for bear haha hope they stay out of my trees this year

Aerospace, the bear are my biggest concern as well.

Aerospace, the bear are my biggest concern as well.

Oh boy! They can be trouble.

Good luck this year to you guys with bears!

My Macs are absolutely loaded this year and there's a bee swarm out in the orchards! Finally got some great weather. I'll get some pics of deer trees later today.

DSCN3706.JPG

Looks awesome @Maya !

I am so glad I don't have to worry about bears!

George I see the deer trim the lower parts of the trees for you since no cages lol

They can have a little if they want.

View attachment 13094 Thanks for the input George. I will be spraying different trees different days for sure to thin. My Zestar and Ginger Gold first then Cortlands and Fuji. My sweet 16 even though they are small apples I think u will thin because the tree looked pink not green this year lol. Will start spraying Tuesday when I get back to farm. My Topsin, Avaunt and Max Cel plant growth regulator all came yesterday so I am loaded for bear haha hope they stay out of my trees this year

Your post had me thinking about the damn bears Aero since my property is right down the road from you. I have a sow and 3 second year cubs cleaning up leftover corn in one of my plots. Couldn't believe I had corn left after the winter we had. Checked trees yesterday and this is what I found on the bottom of that field. They didn't even wait for it to get apples. A Dolgo that I have had in the ground 2 years. Snapped the top off the tree and every branch is broken at the trunk. They break sh$t just to do it. I can't even cage shrubs on this property as the bears break the stakes off for entertainment. To say I am not fond of bears would be an understatement.

Last edited:
Wow Diesel that sucks and yes they do damage for the heck of it. One year they rolled in and knocked down over 1/3 of my sweet corn. Most of my trees are in open so maybe they are a bit more timid bit I have had some damage before. I a,so have many older wild apple trees around my property. Sorry to see that damage

IMG_2001.JPG Bears were a huge issue on the mountain until a friend came up with this system to keep them away. Not only is it extremely effective preventing bear damage it has increased hunting opportunity by having the only trees with fruit hanging on the trees come the later hunting seasons here in Vermont

I know boars will do that in the spring to help mark territories. Had it happen two years ago, so guess who got a bear tag...

I feel your pain Diesel. Young bears can be real juvenile delinquents. I've had most of my damage done through the summer months with limbs full of apples broken off and not ate.
Appleman, love the "bearproof" tree. :emoji_thumbsup:

As of last weekend, my trees are just getting green leaves, there were some pick flowers of one tree. I am hoping they are just late bloomers, and that they didnt freeze, and are not going to flower. I wont be back again until Memorial weekend, so I have hopes when I get up there I will have a nice flowered out orchard.