What Bud Stage are your Apples at?

Maya

5 year old buck +
Normally I'm at about 1/4" green, but I only have a couple trees at silver tip, most everything is still tight. Yesterday morning I woke up to 2" of fresh snow, last weekend we got 9". What a slap in the face. I went up to visit a friend at his orchard yesterday and his trees were the same. Heck, the frost just started thawing out of the ground. Weird spring. Next few days in the 60's though, so I suspect things will change.

Where is everyone's trees at. Is this just a New England thing?

Same, no movement up here yet. Old man winter sure is hanging on, this week looks alot better

Last weekend my trees were at early stages of silver, but they had a week of 50+ last week, and close to 70 yesterday. Now they are talking low 20's for lows this coming week for a couple nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maya,
I'm a tad bit ahead of you.
b9c01c2b20d6ddefa62cdf0eede0bb6f.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

apple blossoms 17.JPG Got alot of apples at pink stage and a few pears that have an open blossom or two. I was at 1/4" green 3 weeks ago and assumed that things would progress very rapidly. Glad the trees took longer to reach their current stage than I though they would. Looks like decent weather ahead for pollination.

pear bloom 17.JPG

Last edited:
Merle, that's pretty dang purdy right there!

Good luck TC!

I normally get trees in on an April 15th ship date. Glad I don't have any coming.

Last Sunday April 2nd.....SMH

DSCN3533.JPG

Western NY has buds swelling just a bit, but still pretty tight with no green yet. I'm thinking this may be a blessing so blossoms are less vulnerable to a late season frost.

Seems crazy early, but two trees in my yard have already set fruit. Several more look about like Merle's tree, and two are just barely putting out leaves.

Still frozen here.

Silver tip here for majority. I had 3 trees that were 1/2 inch green, but were Crabs.

Heck the trees I got from @Turkey Creek bloomed in the box. LOL. They are slightly ahead of my silver tipped trees around here. :)

After a pair of days in the 60's, my Granny Smith and Zestar are breaking bud, but the Honeycrisp appear to be a couple days behind. Lows down to 30 degrees tonight and tomorrow.

At my small orchard that is all southern exposure along a woods everything is leafed out with a few apple trees starting to blossom.
At the big orchard that is out in the open on an old homestead the pears have all leafed out and the apples are just breaking buds. Peaches are blossomed.

Mostly silver tip here George with some mostly crabs showing some green. Honeycrisps still like turtles all of those observations were from last week. My trees are in great shape for cold temps and it looks like we won't have any damaging weather for at least 10 days and after that I think chance of damaging temps are very slim. My trees look like they have tons of fruit buds so keeping my fingers crossed. We had 78 degrees here today and near same tomorrow

Finished up pruning over 250 trees since Saturday at two locations. As of today bud stage is either at silver tip or dormant.

Finished up pruning over 250 trees since Saturday at two locations. As of today bud stage is either at silver tip or dormant.

"no big deal' lol.......

Two days of near 80 degrees and boom! Most everything is starting to crack some green. Not HC, Cortland or Liberty.

Chestnut crab showing green, 2 yrs old. Planted another cc 2 weeks ago that also has buds breaking open. Is that normal?

Attachments

• 20170411_141946.jpg
    20170411_141946.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Chestnut crab showing green, 2 yrs old. Planted another cc 2 weeks ago that also has buds breaking open. Is that normal?
Most crabapples love to bloom. Hard to keep them from blooming!:emoji_relaxed: I have had single vegetative T- buds "turn" into blossoms. I have a couple of Adirondack crabapples that I grafted last year that are barely 12" tall that our covered in blossoms.... they would look cool as Bonsai crabapple trees.

IMG_3301.JPG Looks like most of my trees are going green and I got a captan cover spray done yesterday. We were supposed to have some rain but it really didn't materialize into much. I love this time of year. Even my HC's are showing some green. We had 78 yesterday so those 2 70 plus days really kicked things. These are 3rd year starting 4th year grafts

Last edited: