What Bud Stage are your Apples at?

My land got about 5 inches of snow yesterday morning. But the temps didnt drop below 29. So I am hopeful for not much frost damage. Last night it got down to 27, but the 10 day shows nothing below 30. I am still hopeful for my first apples this year.

I couldn't stand sitting around the house anymore. Took a few pics out in my orchards out back. Looks like pretty much tight cluster with Pristine showing first pink. Nice full cluster (Liberty).....

DSCN3589.JPG

Some Gala's I grafted over to Zestar! a couple years ago. They are really wanting to throw out some fruit this year!...

DSCN3572.JPG

Gorgeous pics George. I might be a tad ahead of you but not much

Maya - Not bad for a rookie orchard - post #27 pix !!! :emoji_wink:
Great looking place. I have to say - I LOVE Idared apples. Not many orchardists grow them around here. 2 orchards near my camp in northern Pa. grow them and I get several bushels of Idareds from them every fall. Great keepers. We use them in sauce and eat a batch of them fresh. Ida's are in my pockets while bow hunting.

Are Idareds a chore to grow there ?? I read they have some disease issues.

Maya - Not bad for a rookie orchard - post #27 pix !!! :emoji_wink:
Great looking place. I have to say - I LOVE Idared apples. Not many orchardists grow them around here. 2 orchards near my camp in northern Pa. grow them and I get several bushels of Idareds from them every fall. Great keepers. We use them in sauce and eat a batch of them fresh. Ida's are in my pockets while bow hunting.

Are Idareds a chore to grow there ?? I read they have some disease issues.

Very easy to grow. They really put out apples, just like Zestar!. I guess they are supposed to be a little susceptible FB, CAR and mildew, but they just seem to be plant and grow for me, but they are being sprayed for most pests anyways. I bet they would do ok with a non spray or little spray program. They are also a good apple for cider. They are very variable in size, no matter how you thin them. Here's one of the big ones!

DSCN2461.JPG

Took a closer look at some apples post bloom this am and looks like I may have a decent amount of blossoms that got pollinated. Another week or two I will be feel a little better amount saying they were successfully pollinated.

Took a closer look at some apples post bloom this am and looks like I may have a decent amount of blossoms that got pollinated. Another week or two I will be feel a little better amount saying they were successfully pollinated.
Cut into a few TC.....post some pics here. Actually, post a bunch, I'm bored out of my skull!

Cut into a few TC.....post some pics here. Actually, post a bunch, I'm bored out of my skull!
Sorry I will try to tomorrow just heading out to graft another 100 or so root stock. The "fruit" looks like they are about the size of a BB.

I ran out in a drizzling rain for this pic of some of mine for you.
Hope it tides you over till a mass grafter posts!
Take care of those ribs.
No idea how I put those up sideways.
e6b96b39f56550c8e7fb0a6b0716f16d.jpg

fd98a966ff958bac609f29e9a010cf34.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Cool Merle......thanks!

Bows I have a great Idared loaded with blossoms so you can come taste mine this year.

@Maya or anyone else. Any experience with the only known apples to come from Michigan, Paula red & opalescent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Maya or anyone else. Any experience with the only known apples to come from Michigan, Paula red & opalescent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paula Red or any of the older early apples have had their pink slips handed to them by Zestar!. I've got a line of people waiting to get them at the farmers market in late August. Two other venders that sell Paula Red's have the little old ladies that always bought them, by them, but that's it.

Taste is of course subjective, but I think if I grew PR's, 99% of my customers would buy Zestar!'s over PR's.

I'd like to try Opalescent. I thought it was an old UK variety?

Looks like a gorgeous day ahead of us here today. I'll definately get out and get some pics. Going to try and train a few branches before the leaves start popping. Hopefully a friend is coming over and we can get it done today. I'll try not to over do it! :emoji_wink: Dr. said it would be ok, just go slow and for short durations. Also my barn is going up starting Wednesday!!!

Let's see some pics!

Last edited:
Here is the start of the next nursery plot at the farm. It will eventually extend to that hay hauler.... ran out of time for this year. Need to haul one more load of compost.

Farm Nursery 17.JPG

Some pears starting their 2nd year in the nursery. These are a little smaller than I would like at this point, last summers weather was a bit#* and I realized I need to implement some type of fertigation, which is now operational for this year.

2nd year pears.JPG