What Bud Stage are your Apples at?

Yep ^^^^^ Not good bee weather for the next week or so. Weather service said an " omega block " is what's holding all local weather at a standstill. Mid-west states are supposed to be warmer and sunny, eastern states wet and cool.

George how are the bees flying? My next week doesn't get out of 50's for highs and near freezing for lows not many bees like that weather

They were all over my orchard yesterday, but not all is in bloom. This morning I was out there for a half hour about 6 AM. At some point there was a bumble bee in my cherries! It's cold, windy and a light rain here now. I can't imagine much is out there now. Everything was at least at King bloom this morning, even HC's had a few Kings open. Just give me a few hours of decent weather in the next few days, and I'll be ok.

I'll go take a look a little later.

Raining hard and only 48 at farm. Hope they come out after rain. Winds are less today so maybe a chance. Maybe they will dodge the raindrops over the next 2 days when it might hit 60 grrrrr one more thing to worry about but I look at it this way.....less thinning lol

George this is one of my Macouns from 2015.... should I have thinned this and of so how much. they look to be loaded again to this level or more. Apples were still good size and tastyIMG_2982.JPG

George this is one of my Macouns from 2015.... should I have thinned this and of so how much. they look to be loaded again to this level or more. Apples were still good size and tastyView attachment 13042
Nice looking trees!

Paul, a couple thoughts on Macouns...... They fruit well every year, even if they are not thinned well. They also really cluster up. Due to their short stems, and the fact that they really cluster, they drop as soon as they mature. So, by thinning them they will hold longer. They still drop pretty quick though. All apples will size better if thinned well, especially Macouns. Smaller fruit also is less flavorful.

There really is no reason not to thin, size and quality are enhanced by thinning. Since much of what you are growing is for your use, I definitely would thin. If trees are just for deer, it does help w/ return bloom. Like I said previously to you, try Carbaryl at petal fall a,d about 14 days later if needed. Chances are you will do 2 sprays on Macouns.

Paul, a couple thoughts on Macouns...... They fruit well every year, even if they are not thinned well. They also really cluster up. Due to their short stems, and the fact that they really cluster, they drop as soon as they mature. So, by thinning them they will hold longer. They still drop pretty quick though. All apples will size better if thinned well, especially Macouns. Smaller fruit also is less flavorful.

There really is no reason not to thin, size and quality are enhanced by thinning. Since much of what you are growing is for your use, I definitely would thin. If trees are just for deer, it does help w/ return bloom. Like I said previously to you, try Carbaryl at petal fall a,d about 14 days later if needed. Chances are you will do 2 sprays on Macouns.
Ok thanks George I will heed your advice

West central WI this past weekend. Looking good. 2nd year in the ground and 100% survival.
047eb181e529c290cc0c432744cf8d0d.jpg
266ec1094aee82cf26a70e6450aeea30.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good grief....it's snowing!

Good grief....it's snowing!
Seems like I said that recently as well!! That was roughly a week ago. 86 degrees here today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez weather can drive a guy batty.

Weather app on phone said it was 27 again this morning, but all blooms checked out ok this evening. Ten day forecast looks safe from here on out.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

At my smaller orchard with a good southern exposure and older trees, all the apple&pear are doing well so far.

The frost last night wilted a bunch of our sprouting pumpkins and butternut squash.

Still time to re-plant the squash & pumpkins. Fruit trees look good.

The sun is trying to peek through after days of cold rain and snow. It's still only 44 degrees though. Not much for bee activity.

DSCN3707.JPG

I'm just starting to see a few king blossoms on Honeycrisp.

DSCN3713.JPG

My honeycrisp finally bloomed after being planted in 2012. I'm hoping a few make it to maturity.

My HC are full king bloom and many varieties are on backside. Had some good bee activity today I think I should saw 2 as it hit 59. Still going to be in high 50's to low 60's next week so not a lot of advanced growth but see some fruit set. Got to figure out when to thin now if needed

At pink stage across the orchard. Looks like I may get lucky and see some fair weather for bee activity around bloom time. My records showed petal fall to be May 17th and 18th in 2015 and 2016, respectively. Expected petal fall to be later this season. Have not had a frost that would damage developing stages of the flower buds at this time.

Got up at 2:30 to try and ward off possible frost. All for not though, we only got down to 34, clouds and a slight breeze. They were calling for it to be 5 degrees cooler last night before I went to bed.

The sun is finally supposed to come out today after days of miserable weather. Hopefully the bees can do their thing today, my trees are ready to rock!

DSCN3708.JPG

Got up at 2:30 to try and ward off possible frost. All for not though, we only got down to 34, clouds and a slight breeze. They were calling for it to be 5 degrees cooler last night before I went to bed.

The sun is finally supposed to come out today after days of miserable weather. Hopefully the bees can do their thing today, my trees are ready to rock!

View attachment 13084
You have a beautiful place Maya!