What Bud Stage are your Apples at?

My trees is NY are almost done. Just a few buds left on my Golden Sentinel are still to open. Rest are past petal fall.

All trees over 90% petal fall and most 100 so I did thinning spray Wednesday with Sevin SL and Mac Grow Growth Regulator and a does of Topsin and half dose of Captan. Did the non thinning trees with Imidan instead of Sevin and Max Grow and the same fungicides

How much Sevin per gallon for thinning purposes?

How much Sevin per gallon for thinning purposes?
I did it per the label and used .75 quarts in 50 gallons. The recommended on the label is 1 to 3 quarts per 100 gallons and I chose 1.5 quarts per 100 based on the fact that the next few days after I sprayed were predicted to be very hot which can promote good thinning. The Gro Max also helps thinning in combo with Sevin and the trees I sprayed were very heavily blossomed and I assumed based on the appearance that most were forming fruit it's my first attempt at thinning with chemicals so I was a bit cautious but many of these trees are big now and hand thin would be a real pain if not impossible

Last edited:
I was at camp this past week for a couple days. A few of the apple trees still had a few blossoms hanging on, but most were done. The crab apple trees seem to have the most fruit set - some crabs were loaded with baby apples the size of small peas. It appears Dolgo, Trailman, Centennial, Hyslop, & Nova Scotia all had good numbers of fruit set. We have 4 unknown crabs that are also loaded. Liberty and Goldrush have some fruit on them too. It appears several trees got nipped by frost / freeze - no fruit set - but that's OK, more growth to the trees themselves.

I got down to my parent's farm in PA yesterday. Good fruit set...too good. Lots of 2 and 3 year old trees loaded with apples that need thinned. I have a row of dwarfs I need to get trellised ASAP since many of them flowered.

I was surprised a couple were still flowering. One was Stoke Red and I think the other was Bedan but I didn't check the tag. Both are late blooming cider varieties.

Kind of funny when Florida is behind some of y'all quite a bit north of us... typically our fruiting trees bloom anywhere between late Feb to mid-March depending on conditions.

Well, as luck would have it we had a relatively mild winter with only 1 or 2 very light frosts only to get a bit of a harder frost mid-March.

End result was that most of the trees dropped their initial leaves and flowers and are finally re-blooming again.

Picture from one of my dolgos taken this week. Thankfully didn't lose any trees, though do have one out of 4 young oriental persimmons I planted near our house struggling to make it with limited foliage and did have to cut a fig tree to the ground after ash boring beetles attacked it (thankfully new growth on the fig tree is thick and already over knee high).

20170522_191437 (819x1024).jpg

Trees re'bloom? Well, learn something everyday.....

Trees re'bloom? Well, learn something everyday.....
Not sure "re-bloom" is the best word choice I could have used, but the trees absolutely had leafed out and had some blooms in March before dropping most leaves and flowers damaged by frost, with other buds then leafing out and blooming now taking place again two months later.

Took a look at the little orchard yesterday it is doing great this spring.

Cortland;

DropTine Crab;

Keffier pear;

And the Golden Hornets are sure trying, I'm going to pick them off.

Another update on apple trees: While at camp this past weekend, I noticed apples on more trees than I saw previously. Kerr, Enterprise, Arkansas Black, & Wolf River also have fruit forming. Prairie Spy also has 2 apples on it. One Liberty had so many small apples on it, it looked fake. I snipped off most of them and just left a few king fruits.

Our OLDER trees - over 50 years old - are also loaded. The one apple tree we released 2 years ago in a patch of pines is covered in nickel-sized apples. Getting sunlight on that tree has brought it back from zero fruit / sparse foliage to being loaded. It looks like a different tree !!

Liberty, m111. Planted in 2011?

49f0f16c63069d81b109a7b351cecc41.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When are you suppose to thin the apples from the trees? I have read in July, after a June drop, and I have read to do it shortly after the apple forms, in early June.

Another update on apple trees: While at camp this past weekend, I noticed apples on more trees than I saw previously. Kerr, Enterprise, Arkansas Black, & Wolf River also have fruit forming. Prairie Spy also has 2 apples on it. One Liberty had so many small apples on it, it looked fake. I snipped off most of them and just left a few king fruits.

Our OLDER trees - over 50 years old - are also loaded. The one apple tree we released 2 years ago in a patch of pines is covered in nickel-sized apples. Getting sunlight on that tree has brought it back from zero fruit / sparse foliage to being loaded. It looks like a different tree !!

No reason not to share some before & after pictures w/ the class @Bowsnbucks

When are you suppose to thin the apples from the trees? I have read in July, after a June drop, and I have read to do it shortly after the apple forms, in early June.
The later you do it the more energy the tree puts into fruit that you will discard so I would do it as soon as you see small apples clustered with bigger ones. Leave the king fruit which will be the largest most likely. I have been thinning by hand for weeks now after doing a chemical thinning which worked pretty well

Next weekend will be the soonest I can, so I will do some thinning then. Thank you!

Finally got a nice day out here! Took a few pics.....Looks like they are thinning out good.

DSCN3771.JPG DSCN3772.JPG DSCN3776.JPG DSCN3782.JPG DSCN3785.JPG

Last edited: