QDMA forum is being retired

I don't post here a lot and I posted even less on QDMA. I guess its just as much my fault as it is anybodys for the lull in activity here. I am glad to see some of those QDMA faces show up here. I will miss QDMA forum but I spend most of my time here anyway. I'm glad it was them that hung it up and not Habitat. Thanks John for a great Forum !

Agree completely, shawn

Hello everyone. Great to see more activity. I don't post a lot, but check in here often. We are doing anything we can do build our deer herd back up in northern WI. Taking instructions and teachings from everyone.
A couple months back, I talked to a couple retired research biologists from WI & MI, both of which I have the utmost respect for their opinions. I asked both about what a person can do to minimize the impact from wolves. Got essentially the same answer from both...the higher the quality you can make your cover and the more of it you can create the better. That was their only suggestion for minimizing wolf impact.

For rebuilding numbers, I'd a toss in offering as much quality food as you can at the same time (and browse production & quality cover go hand in hand anyway) and making sure they feel safe on your ground during gun season, while still hunting that ground yourself, of course.

Agree completely, shawn

A couple months back, I talked to a couple retired research biologists from WI & MI, both of which I have the utmost respect for their opinions. I asked both about what a person can do to minimize the impact from wolves. Got essentially the same answer from both...the higher the quality you can make your cover and the more of it you can create the better. That was their only suggestion for minimizing wolf impact.

For rebuilding numbers, I'd a toss in offering as much quality food as you can at the same time (and browse production & quality cover go hand in hand anyway) and making sure they feel safe on your ground during gun season, while still hunting that ground yourself, of course.
We have a relatively flat 80. THOUSANDS of acres of public around us. Every type of terrain imaginable. "I am going to hate myself for saying this", but with yearly pockets of hinge cutting, edge feathering, and about 5 acres of improved food plots we are improving the herd. We only get a couple of pictures of 3 year old and older bucks running does during the rut. We have bullwinkles issues "doe and fawn" creating an unfriendly atmosphere for mature bucks. We are enjoying the journey though.

I am here as well don't post a lot definately don't have much beneficial to add by comparison.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am here as well don't post a lot definately don't have much beneficial to add by comparison.

Do not despise small beginnings.....your experiences are just as real life as some one who works a 5k acre diamond property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racks like that on the wall, ppfftt, you definitely have something to offer even if you don't think you do, those bucks didn't put themselves on your wall!

The forum was the only attraction to QDMA for me when I got really excited about habitat with a focus on whitetails. I stopped donating my knowledge and $ a few years ago for my own reasons. I'm not surprised they are getting rid of their most important tool, a place for learning and member interactions.

Last edited:
Another QDMA Forum transplant here. I don't know how I've never stumbled on this before, but I love the look, the layout, and the extra sub-forums like the pond forum. Looking forward to this being my new addiction. Eff that other place. ;)

Welcome aboard to all the transfers !! This has been a great forum for some years now. Lots of good folks here who share loads of info. I've learned a TON here and now try to share what I've learned and experienced. No amount of knowledge or experience is too small to share here. It's all good. So fire away gents !!

I feel bad for those who have several pages into their property tour threads, what a loss!

Racks like that on the wall, ppfftt, you definitely have something to offer even if you don't think you do, those bucks didn't put themselves on your wall!
I live in IL didn't you know there is one behind every tree

Me too. Where about in IL?

I believe there "used" to be one behind every tree and the IL DNR has apparently screwed that up like every other DNR is doing or has tried to do.

I won't Blame everything on the IDNR but they have played a part. EHD really layed the hammer on us. I killed 6 4 year old+ bucks every year between 08-11 and have killed 1 since.

I live near carlyle lake

I have been through there a few times while going to AL. Very scenic area(for IL anyway;)), and super nice folks too!

Yes scenic If you like flat crop fields