Giant Miscanthus in River Bottom

jdb2095

Buck Fawn
As this is my first time posting on here, I wanted to extend a thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum. It's been a wealth of knowledge for me and my growth in all things habitat related!

I'll step away from my soapbox now...

The reason for my post is related to establishing a screen of Giant Miscanthus in a parcel of river bottoms. My family has land in southwest Minnesota that is sectioned into two areas, the first being an upland native prairie pasture and the second being a slough / open river bottom that runs flush against the Minnesota River.

I've started to invest into the river bottom due to the great environment it creates to hold large mature deer. Although this area has a lot of potential, it is also a floodplain during most springs (usually flooding from April 10th to the first week in May).

As I've been creating plans on how to enhance this area, screening has become a focus... especially in areas that connect to nearby AG field. This is where my interest in Giant Miscanthus has developed, however, I can't seem to find specific information that discusses GM's ability to tolerate seasonal flooding.

Initially upon researching this topic, it seems that many people said GM does not tolerate wet feet well... However, there was a recent research study published, highlighting that GM does in fact withstand flooding (or at least tolerates it enough to sustain growth). I'll link the article here: https://www.lancasterfarming.com/fa...cle_99447180-472b-11ee-8bd5-4bf6ab0f1e22.html

My question to the general group is if you've had success growing GM in river bottoms and if you've seen this recent study on GM being used in flood prone areas?

TLDR: Have you have success growing Giant Miscanthus in flood prone area's? (Annual spring flooding)

Thx -

Josh

I haven't planted it in an area that has seen any kind of flooding, but I have planted it in a low-lying area that gets wet enough each spring that holes fill with water as you dig them. Compared to the other areas on my farms that I have planted it, I would say it grows a little shorter but fills in at about the same rate. I only have about 4-5 years of experience with it, though.

I haven't planted it in an area that has seen any kind of flooding, but I have planted it in a low-lying area that gets wet enough each spring that holes fill with water as you dig them. Compared to the other areas on my farms that I have planted it, I would say it grows a little shorter but fills in at about the same rate. I only have about 4-5 years of experience with it, though.
Appreciate the information... Looks like I'll be doing some A/B testing this spring. You're experience does make me more optimistic though.

Giant Miscanthus literature says that it is a triploid and sterile. I would caution that you verify and double check that anything you plant in a river bottom that is not native is such. It's a floodplain. Any thing you plant and it sets seed will impact those down stream. Sorry but I have so much invasive crap on my land it gets tiring to deal with. All this stuff was planted with good intentions of course and probably met the initial planters objectives but not mine as it rolls across the land on to the neighbors and eventually to me.

Also posting this because some other family land I manage is pretty much river bottom land and marsh. In the past several years some new stuff has shown up that is some sort of cane/grass growth that taking hold in patches. Frankly I don't like it much and areas by our camp now have to brush cut this stuff and way to tough to weed whack.

So just a word of caution but yah getting tired of more invasive shit every yr. End of soap box.

Have heard it does way better in dry conditions, and can say from my experience i find its growth sparse and likely related to wetter/denser clay portions of my soils ...so may switch is a better option

If you plant rhizomes from maple river farms the seed is sterile. I've experimented serveral times with the seeds. Nothing sprouts.

I also have a wet spot in a row of MG. Stays wet in the spring. No MG will survive there. I wouldn't go hog wold planting in that flood plain with a few small experiments first.

Giant Miscanthus literature says that it is a triploid and sterile. I would caution that you verify and double check that anything you plant in a river bottom that is not native is such. It's a floodplain. Any thing you plant and it sets seed will impact those down stream. Sorry but I have so much invasive crap on my land it gets tiring to deal with. All this stuff was planted with good intentions of course and probably met the initial planters objectives but not mine as it rolls across the land on to the neighbors and eventually to me.

Also posting this because some other family land I manage is pretty much river bottom land and marsh. In the past several years some new stuff has shown up that is some sort of cane/grass growth that taking hold in patches. Frankly I don't like it much and areas by our camp now have to brush cut this stuff and way to tough to weed whack.

So just a word of caution but yah getting tired of more invasive shit every yr. End of soap box.
Agreed completely and something that I’m currently trying to battle as well… I have Reed Canary everywhere and it’s a pain.

If you plant rhizomes from maple river farms the seed is sterile. I've experimented serveral times with the seeds. Nothing sprouts.

I also have a wet spot in a row of MG. Stays wet in the spring. No MG will survive there. I wouldn't go hog wold planting in that flood plain with a few small experiments first.
Appreciate the information Bill - I’m thinking of buying 10 rhizomes and doing a test pilot to see what happens! Otherwise I’ll try and get a few strips of SW established and maybe a screen of Sandbar Willows.

Willows will work there if they will provide a screen. I've planted Willow cuttings in water and they thrived.