Apple trees in wet areas?

Mike O

A good 3 year old buck
I have ordered some apple trees for spring planting behind my house. I want to plant them in several different areas but the northeast corner of my property is slightly lower and less well drained. Wondering if this area being occasionally wet would be a problems for apples?

It could be a problem for several types of rootstock. I have a similar problem. My solution will be to use an excavator to pile up dirt into large earthen mounds to get my trees up above the water table and to use P18 rootstock that tolerates wet ground better than the others.

I have done the same thing as telemark.

I also have seen wild crabs that grow in river bottoms that periodically flood. Those make great rootstocks for that type of area.

Transcendent crab was discussed last time this topci came up. Building up the soil in a spot would be helpful. Even if its like 5 or 10 gallons of soil. I would possibly delay mulching and / or weedmat on the spot until summer. LEt it dry out soem during it's 1st wet spring.

Got some transcendent from willis orchards. If anything, skip grafting for the 1st year and plant them. Alteast some. Evaluate what grows well 1st, anything that dies you might be attribute to a failed graft.

Saw P18 at cummins nursery in NY. Petty sure they're sold out by now. M111 handles heavy soils. Heavy soil usually mean wet ones. Worth testing in the mix.

Last edited:
You should consider EMLA.111 and Antanovka. I had a Liberty on M7 that survived in a low spot that previously killed 3 or 4 pear trees. It usually sat in puddle, dormant, for a month in Spring.

I have read that some people will create a mound to plant fruit trees in when planting on a high water table. I know the mound will settle over time so I would image it would be a good idea to make it more wide and at a shallow slope. How big of a mound in terms of wide of an area to accomidate the roots as they grow outward should somthing like this be? Starting to work on it now so it can settle over the winter for spring planting.