Live from the stand thread

So I'm walking back in tonight hanging my head low after missing that buck when I hear the familiar crack of my old man's .30-06. A mile away and I knew right away it was him. He filled his antlerless tag and was super excited like it was his first deer. The past few years he has been losing the drive and hunting less and less. This year we built him a nice new enclosed elevated blind and he has been hitting hard. Nice to see the fire in him again.

Whip ... welcome to the obvious ...

We are about 10-15 miles east of you and I have recorded wolf tracks for the past 15 years. I have had a wolf 12 years ago come up to a doe estrus scent hanger at 20 yards while bow hunting.

I have 2 neighbors who have trapped 6 wolfs in a 1-3 mile vicinity of us the last 4 years. Neighbor across the street had one enter his yard while mowing 3 weekends ago because his small dog was barking.

The DNR has an agenda which is opposite of hunters ...
I would agree with your "DNR agenda" comment. But it's not obvious to guys who live very far south of our areas though Tree. You know that as well. The guys who hunt in other wolf free states and south of a line from about La Crosse to Sheboygan don't have a clue how truly bad they can be. We have had them up on the Juneau/Wood Co line now for many, many years, and just within the last 5 or so years have they started to venture much south of Hwy 21, so I have lived with their presence for 10 to 15 years already as well. Sooner or later they are going to continue to follow the WI River corridor down to Sauk City/Sun Prairie and start to get into the farming country down there, then we will see how much pressure the DNR comes under once they are on the outskirts of Middleton/Madison. When Devil Lake State Park becomes overrun with them, that will draw some attention!

Bueller, post # 1346 - Great move on the elevated blind build for Dad !! I wish I still had my Dad to build a blind for and hunt with. Pass along a " slap on the back " from me for the deer kill.

Bueller, post # 1346 - Great move on the elevated blind build for Dad !! I wish I still had my Dad to build a blind for and hunt with. Pass along a " slap on the back " from me for the deer kill.
I doubt he would've hunted at all this year without it. He kept putting off getting it built this summer so eventually me and buddy just grabbed the reins and got it done. Our crazy windy opening day had me concerned but he said the thing was rock solid. Well worth every penny spent and every hour building it to have him tell me that he is shaking so bad after shooting that he couldn't even text me. Little did he know that the sound of his rifle shooting over that meadow of his is something I learned long ago.

Hate to tell you guys but the DNRS hands are tied at the Fed level. Hopefully the change is coming soon. Good luck to all. Our group has 2 nice 9pt and 2 does so far. My son got a real nice 9 pt opening morning

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Also my buddy put his 75 yo dad in a nice stand and he got a big doe. He was pretty excited plus seeing lots of deer. Hope my son does that for me when I get up there. Way to go Buller
Chuck

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bueller & Badger - Funny how Dads want us to get our first deer & get better at hunting .......... and then we go 180 and want to keep them at it as long as possible. My hat's off to you guys !!

Last 2 hours of my season. We have a doe problem again as i had 53 come out of my swamp into my picked bean field. Gonna be a busy 2 weeks.

The Waupaca count isn't up yet, looks like the doe only season will be a hot topic once again.

The Waupaca count isn't up yet, looks like the doe only season will be a hot topic once again.

Turnout should be interesting. Feel like we did our part in our little 90 acres... 4 bucks and 9 does so far and seasons ain't over yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of Dad's. This was the first season my Dad did not make it. I wanted to ask him to come up with us. He's far to weak and cannot take the cold to hunt but he could have stayed with us. I didn't ask him because I know it would have just made him disappointed and upset. He has a buddy who can offer him an enclosed heated blind on some really good deer land 20 minutes from his house, hunted out there for the last 15 years. He never went out there this year bow or rifle. I think he just gave up on the whole thing. Think I'll stop on my way home tonight after work.

He certainly wouldn't have done any worse than my son and I did. Dark to dark on Saturday and until noon on Sunday. Nothing. Least amount of shooting I think I've ever heard on an opening day.

What a day! I slept in this morning and went out after daybreak grid searching my woods for blood or the body of the buck that I knew I missed yesterday, but I had to try. No sign of anything so I was now 100% confident it was a clean miss. Went out to the same stand at 2 o'clock and I'm not in the stand for 5 minutes when the buck gets up from its bed in the brush 75 yards in front of the stand. I nail him before he is able to escape. What a season. Pics to come...

Meet Hollywood. I have lots of trail cam videos and photos of him. Weighed 162 lbs after field dressing. My best buck in 20 years of hunting the area.
71dae633f4585e18006c82fa9fe844f0.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Meet Hollywood. I have lots of trail cam videos and photos of him. Weighed 162 lbs after field dressing. My best buck in 20 years of hunting the area.

Nice! Story?

Congrats man! How many years have you been watching him?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Great to see your hard work paying off. I think a lot of us on this site are seeing things take a turn in the right direction. He is a stud. Is it the same one you missed?

Congrats man! How many years have you been watching him?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
We just bought the place a little over two years ago so this is only our second year running cameras. I don't think we had him at all last year. Best buck we've had on camera all year.

Nice! Story?
He was bedded in that brush straight ahead in the photo I posted yesterday. The one you said that the place looks great. He should've stayed down and I would've never seen him. He must have gotten nervous when I got into the stand instead just walking past.

Great to see your hard work paying off. I think a lot of us on this site are seeing things take a turn in the right direction. He is a stud. Is it the same one you missed?
Yep same one I missed yesterday. Definitely a great feeling to finally have some of the hard work pay off. I was starting to feel like the guy in the music video wiscwhip posted.