Live from the stand thread

2 miles south of Hwy 21 just east of County M near Oak Ridge Ski Trails. North of Kennedy Park about 4 miles. They are already a bit farther south and east than that though. We went on some county land just north of our old place and there was scat everywhere that looked like they could have been crapped out by something the size of a Great Dane. Right near the turn to the Buckhorn Bridge off Hwy 58.

I have an opinion on this that the DNR will deny to all ends, but once these things reach the Coulee Region/bluff country, much like your area southwest of Mauston, there will be very little chance of keeping their population from exploding. They are hard enough to kill in the flat land, giving them the cover of the bluffs, it will be next to impossible to remove them, and they will have plenty to eat to expand their numbers.

I still haven't haven't had one on camera yet but last week both my dad and friend said they heard one howling nearby on consecutive nights. Hoping they mistook it for a coyote but they were positive it didn't sound like the yotes we hear.

I hope I never see the damn things but I'm sure I will at some point.

Bueller, post #1297, and John, post #1318 - beside the deer pix on this thread, being outdoors to see sights like your posts beats the hell out of watching the "idiot box " any day !! Sights like your pix make my days afield - deer or no deer. ( Better with deer ! ). A crisp fall sunrise or sunset while being OUT THERE to enjoy it is medicine to me !! Thanks for posting these pix.

^^^ Yup, and sights like you see in Post #1323 make you want to say f*(# deer hunting and stay in bed with momma where it's warm!:mad:

Scaled the size of this on some software at work............for your viewing pleasure........................

Mr. Big Bad.jpg

2 miles south of Hwy 21 just east of County M near Oak Ridge Ski Trails. North of Kennedy Park about 4 miles. They are already a bit farther south and east than that though. We went on some county land just north of our old place and there was scat everywhere that looked like they could have been crapped out by something the size of a Great Dane. Right near the turn to the Buckhorn Bridge off Hwy 58.
Not to far from me

Whip,
Real close to me. With the current state of regulation it won't be long. Real interested to hear the spin and complaints when it happens.

Bueller,
Listen to some recordings of wolves howling on the net. There is no mistaking a coyote for a wolf.

This past weekend was a bust for my son and I. Hunted all day Saturday and till noon on Sunday. Did not see a single deer. Probably the least amount of shooting I've ever heard. He and I still had a good time though. Taught him the fine art of ground blind building and sat together Saturday afternoon till dark. Had a few laughs and some good heart to hearts.

Best thing about my opening weekend is I got to go to Kozy's for pizza, beer and a game of "Trapshoot".

Beautiful afternoon to be up in the stand pondering next year's habitat projects.
31e7c9123df0a84ddb991e4eb7f8b579.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Beautiful afternoon to be up in the stand pondering next year's habitat projects.
31e7c9123df0a84ddb991e4eb7f8b579.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Doesn't look like you have much to ponder. Place looks great!

I was " pondering " about next year's habitat doings while up in a tree stand in archery season. It helps pass the time of " no deer in sight " pretty well. Found myself thinking about moving my stand to another tree 20 yds. over to my left. Better view and better range to 3 apple trees !! Gonna try to make room for 1 more crab apple tree in this particular small-ish opening to cover drop times for archery season.

Great view Bueller !! It's similar to the spot I was just referring to above. Pines around the perimeter for good cover, with an opening to plant more CANDY !!

Good news / bad news.

The good. Saw a nice buck, I think it's the one I've been after.

The bad. He crossed behind me and didn't present much of a shot. I let one fly that I probably shouldn't have. Been searching for blood for a while now with nothing showing. It really sucks to lose this guy but I'm actually ok with it since I feel lucky not have wounded him taking such a low percentage shot.

Probably messed up future hunts in this spot trampling all over the place but we owe it to the animal to make a good effort to search for anything we shoot at even when we are certain of a clean miss.

Respect for the animal. The sign of a true sportsman. I like it.

Sat all day Saturday, 30 mph winds with gusts to 40+, it was brutal. Changed stand mid afternoon to a more sheltered area, saw 13 does & 7 bucks coming out late. They were all nervous as heck.

Slept in Sun am and afternoon hunt was good. Watched a decent 3.5 year old locked on a doe for 2 hours with 2 young guys trailing close by.

Went out this afternoon and 1st doe was out by 3 pm. Saw a total of 14 does and 6 bucks. One was close to being a shooter, a 10 point was outside his ears but i want to give another year. See pic of him below. Disregard the date on the camera, this was from 4 weeks ago. I have the worst luck with cameras and the date/time settings.

Lots of rutting activity going on. Still some bucks that are locked on does.

Hope everyone is enjoying their hunt!

10 point.jpg

Last edited:
This was live from a stand I wasn't in this afternoon :D

14 minutes of legal shooting time left! I'm happy to see him after 9 days of rifle. Hope he hunkers down and lives through the next 24 hours. If he does there's a chance he'll be around next year.

61c24af6703c42ff8764f680c0750a7d.jpg

No pics of him over the last 3 weeks and he's been a regular. I think this means the rut here is winding down and he came home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not "live" from the stand, but for anyone wondering how I did this weekend and why the hunters in my area have a hard time seeing deer, I give you the following photographic evidence of the "coyote" problem in Central WI...................

And yes, that is a 165 gr, .30-06 cartridge in that pic for comparison. Me thinks it is a wee bit larger than the average "yote" track. No way is a fawn getting away from the monster that made that print..........:(
Believe me fella's, your hunting life will change forever once Big Bad comes knocking at your door!

Whip ... welcome to the obvious ...

We are about 10-15 miles east of you and I have recorded wolf tracks for the past 15 years. I have had a wolf 12 years ago come up to a doe estrus scent hanger at 20 yards while bow hunting.

I have 2 neighbors who have trapped 6 wolfs in a 1-3 mile vicinity of us the last 4 years. Neighbor across the street had one enter his yard while mowing 3 weekends ago because his small dog was barking.

The DNR has an agenda which is opposite of hunters ...

I was out every day this past week, saw eight different bucks a couple of them a few times. The does and fawns were ridiculous it's like I was a deer magnet.
Had one shooter almost give me a chance at about five yards but he was right behind my tree.

A few pics that I took from the stand this week, I didn't get any buck pics because I'm never sure if I'm going to shoot them or not and they don't stay long so I don't have my phone out.