GRIN apple scion

My 4th year of receiving beautiful scion from GRIN.
GRIN_2018_2-8-18_005.jpg

Boy Rick that Reinette Grise and the PRI 1346 look interesting, nice finds!

Jan 10th for scion. If you didnt tell them not to they will likely ship it as budwood in August.

You were right. Got the email from dawn. She offered up bud wood but my budding success has been poor. She said the deadline for bud is July 15. I had here cancel the order. I'll reorder before July 15 if I decided to go with bud wood or reorder after July 15 for next year if I decide not to bud. I'll probably retake the grafting class from the local orchard next month. They don't sell scions, but they give away limited variety scions to the grafting class students. I took it two years ago. The varieties they had available that I was interested in for my wildlife trees were VA Crab (Hewes), BlackTwig, and Arkansas Black.

Thanks,

Jack

Are you at all concerned with the white "mold like" stuff on the scion? I wiped it off of mine, was I being a bit too over the top?

Are you at all concerned with the white "mold like" stuff on the scion? I wiped it off of mine, was I being a bit too over the top?

It's never hurt, stunted, anything that I have seen.

I didn't know if I would get any as I ordered by emailing a list in on the deadline day. Never set up an account.

Sure enough I just got a email about a 2day air delivery so I'm in the game too? Gov handouts finally worked in my favor lol. 3lbs, is what the tracking info says.... seems like a lot of weight for scons

Well I got my notification last Thur, and now due to the weather they're supposed to be delivered by tomorrow (Tues) late in the day. What are the odds they've been kept cool the entire time? Should I be worried about them?

No way to know if they have been setting on a truck or inside a heated building. As long as the buds arent swelling they will be fine.

I have the same concern. Also due to weather mine have been in transit for 5 days instead of 2. Judging from the ups tracking info misty l most time was spent in a building. Guess I'll keep an eye on them and see if they show signs of life to early

Mine came today too, weather delayed but they're here. Now I have the itch bad. Grin ran out of northern spy but luckily a generous member here had offered some up a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• 20180212_145056.jpg
    20180212_145056.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 12
Just got a notice from UPS that I have a shipment coming Thursday!! First order from GRIN. I was 2 days over on the deadline but they got me in anyways....yahoo!

@sandbur if my shafer takes i will send you wood next year!

@sandbur if my shafer takes i will send you wood next year!

I think smsmith has some to share with me this year.

I located a tree on one of the farms I visit. I suspect it is trail or shafer. How could one tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think smsmith has some to share with me this year.

I located a tree on one of the farms I visit. I suspect it is trail or shafer. How could one tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good ? Art, I don't think you could until they fruit. Grin says Shafer doesn't bruise as easily as trailman & shafer tends to be darker orange than trailman.