Apple p orn

Stolen from USDA at the grin tour. Roberts crab and golden hornet. Not mine yet but these have convinced me that they're on the list of next for me to graft. IMG_5708.JPGIMG_5708.JPGIMG_5713.JPG

The BlueBowl show continues...
Arkansas Black here...LOL. AB according to MapleValley where I bought the scion wood that is. I could use all your impressions on what this could be. Long stems. Somewhat Glossy smooth skin, nice taste. I think some GoldenDelicious sport. Ripens about 15sept.F1158F17-C037-49CE-A6CA-EB1393E42F26.jpeg631C1EED-2944-4ABC-AC30-6B22B8F9EE3E.jpeg

No idea what variety it is - but they look great to me !! How do they taste ??

Nice Tasting apple, and I will keep it because it seems like it is going to throw some every year. I've got a bushel to scrat this coming weekend for juice. I surely like this apple and have been bringing them into work last week and this. Even though they are good and ripe they still have a twinge of green apple which I really like...like it's a "fresh" note. I ate one of these after a SweetSixteen and liked it better. I seem to be the exception on this preference. The HoneyCrisps, PixieCruch and S16 do better in the popularity contest both at home and at work...I guess I need a little tart in my life. :)

I call this one Mystery Green. It’s a seedling of a Crab, either Siberian, Zumi or American Crab. I forget which one. Planted a bunch of whips and two out of 30 or so turn into full size apples.
AF21AD01-3960-4E86-9E8D-0E58A58ADBCD.jpeg

I call this one Mystery Green. It’s a seedling of a Crab, either Siberian, Zumi or American Crab. I forget which one. Planted a bunch of whips and two out of 30 or so turn into full size apples.
View attachment 20651

Taste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden Hornet look super small. Maybe too small to be used for anything but habitat feed...

Mystery Green is a very good tasting apple right off the tree. Really perfect the first week of September. Its firm and has this fresh green apple taste. If it sits around it starts to soften (and sweeten) and mainly is going to be scratted and pressed - this weekend in fact. I've noticed I tend to lean towards tartness as opposed to the honey-banana sweetness that some apples bring. I'm sure these really sweet ones (I'm kinda thinking Whitney for example) are great to add to a blend as a base but for eating out of hand I like more sharpness. Mystery Green is a just a hint on the sharp side of sweet - thumbs up from me.

Pete, post #129 - We have small crabs at my camp ( not Golden Hornet ), but they attract deer and all kinds of birds - from turkeys and grouse to small tweeties. Ours are about 1/2" to 5/8" dia. And they contribute to pollinating our bigger apple trees.

I had three bagged aztec fuji apples, i just noticed one starting to crack so I picked it, tart but not bad, about like a cortland, hopefully the other two stay in better shape untill ripe.
99dbca6ac5f2da07ac5c82be78917e96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Are you spraying your apples Jhoss ?? They look pretty great.

Are you spraying your apples Jhoss ?? They look pretty great.
Bows, I asked him earlier and he gave his entire spray schedule in this thread I believe or another

The BlueBowl show continues...
Arkansas Black here...LOL. AB according to MapleValley where I bought the scion wood that is. I could use all your impressions on what this could be. Long stems. Somewhat Glossy smooth skin, nice taste. I think some GoldenDelicious sport. Ripens about 15sept.View attachment 20587View attachment 20588
The apples look great but they are not Arkansa Blacks. I have Two ABs and they are a very deep red/deep purple which can look black. I have not harvested mine yet so no pictures. I think Maplevalley mixed something up.

Yeah - Iknow..Maybe you didn't pick up on my sarcasm re: the Arkansas Black mix up.

Charman, post #136 - Thanks pal. Gonna check it out.

first picture is my suspected Arkansas Black. Second picture is the 8th tree I picked up over the week and planted for of which today some of the ones I picked up today or actually closer to an inch and a half in caliper does anybody have any comments about the Arkansas black suspicion does that look like a typical Arkansas black.?
0b38cda663ff6e70cd673d4880fb9aff.jpg
12e86c4663957271312dee5d6b31ed6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk