Apple p orn

first picture is my suspected Arkansas Black. Second picture is the 8th tree I picked up over the week and planted for of which today some of the ones I picked up today or actually closer to an inch and a half in caliper does anybody have any comments about the Arkansas black suspicion does that look like a typical Arkansas black.?
0b38cda663ff6e70cd673d4880fb9aff.jpg
12e86c4663957271312dee5d6b31ed6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hard to say but there is a lot of vertical growth on that tree, I would try to get some outward growing limbs on it. Train it to grow out not up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Those wickson look awesome

Hey Jhoss. How large are those wicksons and when do they drop. They look great.

Wickson’s are about ping-pong ball size. I have no knowledge on drop as I either eat them or scrat for cider...I use ‘em! I can tell you they are tougher to pick than a good ripe regular apple that pops off in you hand. This give me thi impression they will hang on a long time.

Wickson’s are about ping-pong ball size. I have no knowledge on drop as I either eat them or scrat for cider...I use ‘em! I can tell you they are tougher to pick than a good ripe regular apple that pops off in you hand. This give me thi impression they will hang on a long time.

I probably need to try one. I have about a dozen on the tree and have been waiting for them to pop loose easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the Sundance pix Jhoss. We have 2 at camp and I've been wondering what they'll look like. How are they for taste ??

They are a great tasting apple for sure. You wont be disappointed. They are like a mild Goldrush - just the right amount of sweet and pucker - easy to eat, juicy as the day is long. A high recommend for a backyard tree mostly because the fruit is beautiful!...some russet, some blush. The only dings would be a bit thicker tougher skin and over-cropping/must thin or it will break all its branches off!

^^^^ I tried one ( from an orchard in N.Y. ) and you're right. Great apple.

^^^^ How are the Black Ox's for eating ??

They've got a great apple taste. More tart than sweet but not over-puckering. The knocks on this apple I would say are the skin and the texture. It doesn't bug me a whole lot but the skin is a rough almost russett thick type. My girls knock it heavily for this - almost inedible because of it for them. Then the texture is hard, tough and dense, dense, dense and heavy but not exactly juicy. It does cleave off as you bite into it but its chewy chewy. This is a review of them right off the tree - I'll bet in a month or two they soften up. Peeled and sliced they are a crunchy zingy good apple treat...maybe a pie apple? So, I like them, not my goto grab but cool and different. Oh - and the apples growing on the tree - all mahogany purplee black-red...a picturesque sight. So, some plusses, some knocks - I like 'em.

Re: Post #148 - I finally tasted CrimsonCrisp last week. Bought a peck and took 'em home. They are also a GoldRush-lite... great apple and growing a tree in the backyard....

They've got a great apple taste. More tart than sweet but not over-puckering. The knocks on this apple I would say are the skin and the texture. It doesn't bug me a whole lot but the skin is a rough almost russett thick type. My girls knock it heavily for this - almost inedible because of it for them. Then the texture is hard, tough and dense, dense, dense and heavy but not exactly juicy. It does cleave off as you bite into it but its chewy chewy. This is a review of them right off the tree - I'll bet in a month or two they soften up. Peeled and sliced they are a crunchy zingy good apple treat...maybe a pie apple? So, I like them, not my goto grab but cool and different. Oh - and the apples growing on the tree - all mahogany purplee black-red...a picturesque sight. So, some plusses, some knocks - I like 'em.

Aren't they supposed to be a good cider Apple? Maybe I'm thinking Kingston Black?

Re: Post #148 - I finally tasted CrimsonCrisp last week. Bought a peck and took 'em home. They are also a GoldRush-lite... great apple and growing a tree in the backyard....
My crimson crisp gets CAR pretty good similar to the gold rush beside it

Aren't they supposed to be a good cider Apple? Maybe I'm thinking Kingston Black?
I think you are right on both topics...Black Oxford as a Cider apple, Fedco lists them for cider though I really don't know what they mean...hard or sweet-juice.., I will have to check sugar and look up acid and tannin content.

And yes, correct again on Kingston Black (I have 3 young ) trees - heralded as the perfect "vintage" type apple for single variety hard cider. Time will tell for me.