Native Hunter Apples 2023

This is a poor year for pears in my area, but some trees do have a few. However, most are not as large as normal. I believe this is mostly due to the polar vortex we experienced last winter along with spring freezes at a critical time for pears.

Below is a picture of a Kieffer at the farm that has a decent crop of smaller than normal fruit. Pic taken today. A few other trees are similar and other have almost no fruit.

PS - I plan to keep this same thread going next year and hopefully cover pears and a few more apples.
IMG_3326.jpeg

I’m making a big bunch of apple chips this year - Carmel, cinnamon and some just plain. Four gallons of apples will make about one and a half gallon bags of chips.

IMG_3342.jpeg
IMG_3343.jpeg

They look tasty, Native!! ---------- Oven or dehydrator?? How long until dry?? Temp.??

They look tasty, Native!! ---------- Oven or dehydrator?? How long until dry?? Temp.??
LEM 10 tray dehydrator. 150 degrees for 16 hours if you want them to be really crispy like potato chips. Turn them at about 6 hours in so that they don't stick so bad to the trays. I can't make enough of these for everyone who asks me for some. Let them cool before testing for crispness. If you need more time, just put them back in for a while longer.

If you don't want them crispy, I think 10 hours or so would be enough. I never dry any that way. My FIL used to dry apples under the windshield of a big Chrysler car he had. This would get them dry enough to preserve them, but they would never be crispy.

PS - I made another batch this morning of plain Sundance with nothing added. The hornets were starting to work on the apples, so I decided to cherry pick the best ones and dry them.

I used to make dried apple like that years ago I loved adding them to my oatmeal they would rehydrate some and what a great taste.

Nice thread Native,

Ever play with Pristine or Hewes? Got a young Pristine which is supposed to be a early apple and disease resistant. Seeing some roadside apples that look alot like hewes. Taking pictures and watching them for drop times.

Anyone need scions I have a few for this winter. Freedom, Prsitine, Liberty, franklin cider, godlen delcicious, mcintosh, black arkansas, droptine, and crossbow. Might have some All winter hangover, kerr, and ides of march too. My trees are young, so I wont have alot.

Nice thread Native,

Ever play with Pristine or Hewes? Got a young Pristine which is supposed to be a early apple and disease resistant. Seeing some roadside apples that look alot like hewes. Taking pictures and watching them for drop times.

Anyone need scions I have a few for this winter. Freedom, Prsitine, Liberty, franklin cider, godlen delcicious, mcintosh, black arkansas, droptine, and crossbow. Might have some All winter hangover, kerr, and ides of march too. My trees are young, so I wont have alot.
I have a Hewes that is starting to look good. I’m expecting apples on it maybe next year.

Here is another pear that I really like. This year the crop isn’t so great, but last year my two trees of this variety were both loaded and the fruit was large. This includes one on low ground in a frost pocket. The pear is Senator Clark. It appears to be a European Pear with a few Asian genes mixed in.

IMG_3359.jpeg

IF you wander by your hewe's can you take a picture of it?

Today I noticed that a few of the fruits on Miller persimmon were starting to ripen. I tasted one of the dark orange ones, and it was indeed ripe.

This is about 25 days earlier than I remember the fruit ripening in past years. My best guess is that the drought we are in has hastened the ripening to some degree. Miller is a great early to mid season persimmon. It generally covers October well in my area.

IMG_3401.jpeg

A moderate size crop on 30-06 Crab. They seem a bit smaller this year, but they still have growing time. I have seen FB on this cultivar in past years but not severe. Looks pretty clean this year.

IMG_3425.jpeg

Deer Magnet persimmon still very green. Miller generally covers October well and Deer Magnet covers November well. Plus, I have lots of native persimmons. Some of them will drop through December and even longer.

IMG_3426.jpeg

Topworked a male persimmon to Prok two years ago. I have about 15 fruits this year. Still very green, and I really like the large size.

View attachment 57203
Do you know when it will ripen yet, Native? Prok is one I've thought about adding. Everything looks good, as always.

Do you know when it will ripen yet, Native? Prok is one I've thought about adding. Everything looks good, as always.
It seems to be ripening later than what I have read about it. On the England's Orchard website he says that it ripens in late August in Kentucky. Another Kentucky website says it ripens, "...late August-October here in Kentucky." Just looking at mine, I'm now guessing October.

Lots of other sources talk about this being an early ripening variety. My scion wood came from Red Fern Farm. I will try to keep an eye on it and give you an update on what I see.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate that. Im usually ten to fourteen days behind you on ripening times, apples and pears. 100-46 is supposed to be early to mid season, its looking like October as well.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate that. Im usually ten to fourteen days behind you on ripening times, apples and pears. 100-46 is supposed to be early to mid season, its looking like October as well.
Glad to help.
I also suspect that the rootstock can affect drop times. Who knows for sure what can happen when female wood from New York is grafted onto male wood from KY? It's been proven that rootstock can have lots of different effects on apple varieties, so it seems plausible that it could be true of persimmons as well.
PS - Look at what Ryan at Blue Hill says about Prok ripening in PA: