2015 Scion or other seed Swap Thread

What zone is Golden Hornet rated for? I might be interested.
I can remember Stu talking about Golden Hornet on the dark side. please send me some if it looks hardy for zone 3-4.

Greyphase, is your Golden Hornet fruiting yet?

I'm curious as to when it drops its fruit, or whether it's 'persistent'.

Yeah lets here more about this "golden hornet"

I'll be interested in Greyphase's thoughts, but I find Golden Hornet a bit of a mystery.

Discussions about GH came up several times on the dark side, but for whatever reason they'd quickly die out. Ben would sing the apple's praises, but since scion wood seemed hard to come by (it's more popular in the UK than here in the US) nobody seemed to have personal experience with the crabapple.

I found the apple on G.202 (less than optimal for 'deer apples') at Cummins last year (they sell the variety to apple growers for its terrific pollen generation and long bloom) and so I ordered two and tried to do some grafting onto b.118. Suffice to say that's still a work in progress <grin>.

In any event, here's the description for my notes that I cobbled together from the web. The question of whether or not it's 'late' or 'persistent' is a bit unclear from my research.

++++++++++++++++
Golden Hornet
(Bloom: Mid-late; Ripen: November or later)
This well-known English crab apple is a popular choice for gardens where its neat tapering shape and huge crops of conspicuous small (1/2-inch) yellow fruits have made it a favorite. It is also widely planted among fruiting apple trees because its lavish display of white flowers is a prolific source of pollen for pollenating mid- and late-season blooming varieties. Its branches bend under the weight of the fruit, which are excellent for jam & juice or may be left on to last all autumn and part of the winter too. Golden Hornet is annual bearing and tolerant to scab, mildew and fire blight. The Royal Horticultural Society has given it their prestigious Award of Garden Merit.

Sorry I can add much to what L2L had to say about it. I got mine last year from Cummins on G202 rootstock and planted it in the Home Orchard above the house for it's pollinating characteristics. Did find a video on YouTube about it that said it was hardy from zone 4 to 8 so I guess that makes it iffy for you Bur. You could always try a limb graft onto one of your hardy crabs to see what happens. Mine grew very nicely and has a couple of limbs I intend to prune off and hate to see a couple good pieces of scion go to waste:D.

One thing that I see referenced some on GRIN is that some (maybe all?) varieties have increased cold hardiness when top worked onto proven cold hardy trees. Worth a shot.

greyphase-what do you need in exchange? I have hazen, chestnut crab and a late dropping inedible crab. I will need to look and see what else has decent scion on it. Check your pm's.

Hey guys u think there is anything wrong with storing scions in airtight vacuumed food storage bags?

I have Bosc pear

Gala apple
"Cortland" but apple tasted like a empire.

The deer ate all of my Arkansas Black, Honeycrisp, and Fuji Sun down to the rootstock.

Lots of plum purchased from a nursery but don't know which variety.

Super sweet Nectarine

Super Sweet peach

Dunstan Chestnut seedlings and nuts
Cherry seedlings from Cummings last year

I would like to replace my Arkansas Black. Also if I could get that variety that Missouri Growers have and the Opal apple.

Spur-don't you have those trees protected so they cannot eat down to the rootstock?

I was laid off last year hemorrhaging money and I only had enough to protect 12 of them with burlap bags.

Last year my dog kept the deer far from my house but he passed away mid October and now the deer come up to my porch eating everything in my yard and orchard every night. Of course during deer season, didn't see 1 deer all season now I count at least 23 every night.

Spur

Come on over for some Arkansas Black and any other variety that you like. Did you find any grafting classes for this year?

Paul

Thank you Paul, I didn't want to impose again this year.

I had over 95% success last year and learned a lot from the grafting class we took last year. I feel extremely confident now on my grafting skills and don't need another class. If you need any bees wax, para film, or want to graft at my house, let me know. When would you like to get together to get the scions?

I don't think I need a grafting class either but it was a deal at 5 bucks to get 3 trees lol. All of the grafts I did at the class did awesome with one Winesap actually branching. Next week looks busy for me but I think the following week would work for me. Let me know if that is good for you. I will probably go up on Tuesday and stay til Thursday

Paul

Paul,

Can you make it up on a weekend? I work through the week.

Yes but not sure when. I will give you a few days notice when I will be up on weekend. If not I can cut some scions for you and you can come pick them up after work or I can ship

I plan to prune my trees sometime in the next 3 weeks for those of you expecting scions from me.

Appleman and I had a great day today at out tree fruit growers meeting. It was at a local cider makers brewery and pub, Citizens Cider. If you ever see their Unified Press Cider, get some, it's awesome!

Anyways, we had a couple real good speakers, one of which was a professor from Cornell. He gave a talk on fire blight. One thing that stuck out to me was (and I know you all aren't going to want to here this), do not do scion swaps! He really advised against it as they have found that they are a big transmitter of FB inoculum. Many people unknowing spread it by swapping sticks, spreading it from infected areas to non effected areas. Something to think about!

Appleman and I had a great day today at out tree fruit growers meeting. It was at a local cider makers brewery and pub, Citizens Cider. If you ever see their Unified Press Cider, get some, it's awesome!

Anyways, we had a couple real good speakers, one of which was a professor from Cornell. He gave a talk on fire blight. One thing that stuck out to me was (and I know you all aren't going to want to here this), do not do scion swaps! He really advised against it as they have found that they are a big transmitter of FB inoculum. Many people unknowing spread it by swapping sticks, spreading it from infected areas to non effected areas. Something to think about!

Interesting, I wonder if there is a way to sanitize the scions with a weak solution of chlorine before grafting them to help prevent the spread of fire blight.

Is there a way to know if the sticks are infected? I read something about rinsing them in some solution to prevent any spread of disease. This is the first I have heard of this but something g surely to think about. How about sticks from the Geneva Repository ? The federal government sends these sticks out without a warning or disclaimer.