2015 Scion or other seed Swap Thread

I have some NW Greening, chestnut crab, and a late dropping crab that I could spare a few of. Also hazen.
Is the crab disease resistant? I have 2 keiffers that are planted in that area. Although they are "resistant" to fireblight, I want to make sure that whatever I put around them is resistant as well.

Chesnut Crab is resistant to Chernobyl. :)

Seriously you folks on here are a great bunch of people. I'm really glad I came here last April.

Chesnut Crab is resistant to Chernobyl. :)

Seriously you folks on here are a great bunch of people. I'm really glad I came here last April.
I meant his late dropping crab.
I'm just wondering if I should save doing crabs for my ground with a lot more sand.

I meant his late dropping crab.
I'm just wondering if I should save doing crabs for my ground with a lot more sand.

Sandy ground is more to do with rootstock then what type of apple your growing. Unless I have swung and missed your meaning, which reminds me that I'm left handed and most people can't read my hand writing, so it's been done before.
homer-simpson-doh.gif

Sandy ground is more to do with rootstock then what type of apple your growing. Unless I have swung and missed your meaning, which reminds me that I'm left handed and most people can't read my hand writing, so it's been done before.
homer-simpson-doh.gif
Nope! You understood it correctly. I know that rootstock has a lot to do with it, but I also was under the impression that crabs in general were more tolerant of adverse conditions. I'm not sure if that is due to the roots they are on.

Nope! You understood it correctly. I know that rootstock has a lot to do with it, but I also was under the impression that crabs in general were more tolerant of adverse conditions. I'm not sure if that is due to the roots they are on.

With enough water and nutrients, a normal apple on a good rootstock does just fine on sand. If I'm not mistaken most apples prefer a sandy loam to begin with.

Pa
I can give you some of the first set you mention if Crazy Ed can't fill all those. Send pm if he can't

Paul
ul,

When are you going up to get your rootstock? Also when do you want to meet up?

Is the crab disease resistant? I have 2 keiffers that are planted in that area. Although they are "resistant" to fireblight, I want to make sure that whatever I put around them is resistant as well.
I have not had any disease problems with it.

This apple is very hard and not really what I would consider edible for people.

Ok cool. I will mail hours tomorrow Art

Pa

ul,

When are you going up to get your rootstock? Also when do you want to meet up?
Spur

My rootstocks are coming about the middle of March according to Tino at Cummins. I will email him tomorrow to confirm. I will be at my place a couple of days next week and will stay 2 nights if you want to drop over to get some scion wood

Paul

With enough water and nutrients, a normal apple on a good rootstock does just fine on sand. If I'm not mistaken most apples prefer a sandy loam to begin with.

Sandy loam would be a stretch for this stuff. I'd almost certainly need to use lumite, rather than my usual inch or two of manure+leaves and then few inches of wood chips. I'll feel a lot better trying them out when I have my own rootstocks and I get to have fun grafting!

I have not had any disease problems with it.

This apple is very hard and not really what I would consider edible for people.

I'm fine with it not being a human apple, as I'll now have (if all goes well with grafting the DR varieties) 7 trees with Liberty, Enterprise, Freedom, and Goldrush. I'm thinking that the goldrush will be hanging real late for the deer.

As for the crab, is it a later bloomer? Since most of these other trees are later blooming and Chestnut is better for early to mid, the late hanging/dropper may be a better fit. I'll get back to you on which I want!

Spur

My rootstocks are coming about the middle of March according to Tino at Cummins. I will email him tomorrow to confirm. I will be at my place a couple of days next week and will stay 2 nights if you want to drop over to get some scion wood

Paul
I'm going to get mine next weekend. I can pick them up for you and save you the shipping costs.

I can stop by this week or next if I pick up your rootstock. Let me know.

Does anyone have a few William's Pride? These are for eating, but I'd still like DR and an earlier ripening variety.

I am picking mine up next week also. I have to go that way anyway for another matter. You can come get scion anytime next week when i am there. Probably Monday or Tuesday evening through Wednesday mid afternoon

I am pruning this weekend and have about 80 trees. There are a lot of variety. If anyone still looking for scions let me know.

Anyone expecting scions from me, or any other kinds of seed I am planning on shipping end of the week. The only persons who might be delayed is Aero's because i'm still waiting for a package from Maple Valley.

I have good news and bad news with regard to my offer for scions. The good news first - all of my trees have been pruned. In fact, my farm hand pruned all of them. The bad news, he pruned them about three weeks ago and burned all of the pruned wood. Therefore, I don't have much to offer as previously thought.

What is this burn it alll?

There are people who don't fill their whole damn refrigerator with every last stick of scion wood? Am i the only one that keeps every last twig just in case? :)

What is this burn it alll?

There are people who don't fill their whole damn refrigerator with every last stick of scion wood? Am i the only one that keeps every last twig just in case? :)

Ha ha. I actually did not know he was going to prune them. He has helped me in the past, and wanted to surprise me and show me he could do it all on his own. Well he surprised me for sure.

Does anyone have grimes golden a guy around here is crazy for them and wants some for the yard?