2015 Scion or other seed Swap Thread

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
I see more people starting to talk about grafting so i figured I would start a thread. I ordered 100 b118 roots from Cummins and a dozen pear OHxF97 roots. I'm looking for a few things this spring.

• Snowsweet
  • State fair
  • Fireside
  • Keepsake
  • Williams Pride
  • Golden Hornet
  • priscilla
  • Adirondack crab (SLN)
  • All Winter Hangover Crab (SLN)
  • Royalty Crab (SLN)
  • Winter Wildlife Crab (SLN)
  • Violi's Hanging Crab (SLN)
  • Rescue Apple-Crab (SLN)
  • Prairie Magic (SLN)
  • Court Pendu Plat
  • Any other interesting late hanging crabs of all sizes - even wild seedlings
  • A few Asian pear varieties
  • Also looking for some wild plum seeds that might be hardy enough for central wisconsin.

Last edited:
I was hoping there would be a scion swap this year. I'm going to try grafting for the first time this year. I only have 6 rootstocks ordered from Cummins but I think i'm going to see if I can increase my order.

CrazyEd, I have a Snowsweet that I just put in the ground last year. Not sure if I'll have any scion wood that needs pruning but I'll check and if I do it's yours.

I have some wild plum seeds from zone 3B BUT they have been steamed from when I made jelly. So not sure if they will still germinate, I am going to try to plant some and so are a few other guys on the forum. I could probably send about 25 if you want to try? I did have some unsteamed ones but I already sent them to people and saved some for myself so none left to share for this year.

Ed when do you have cummins send you the stock, I just sent and email to them for 25 g30, just contiplating when I want them sent

Just emailed Cummins to increase my rootstock order.
My apple collection just started last year with 8 varieties so I've got plenty of room to expand.
Here are a few that I', looking for:
· Kerr Crabapple
· Hidden Rose
· Kingston Black
· Golden Russet
· Redfield
· Black Oxford
· Minnesota 1734
If you have any scion wood to share with me, that would be great.

Just emailed Cummins to increase my rootstock order.
My apple collection just started last year with 8 varieties so I've got plenty of room to expand.
Here are a few that I', looking for:
· Kerr Crabapple
· Hidden Rose
· Kingston Black
· Golden Russet
· Redfield
· Black Oxford
· Minnesota 1734
If you have any scion wood to share with me, that would be great.

I have Kerr and black ox for ya.

Ed when do you have cummins send you the stock, I just sent and email to them for 25 g30, just contiplating when I want them sent

Last year I think I got them last week of March. This year I'm going first week of April.

I'll be trying grafting for the first time, have 20 G30 rootstocks on order from Cummings. My orchard is quite small and young at this point. I'll probably have Feedom and Honeycrisp scion wood.

I have Snowsweet that has been bearing for over three years , looking for any hardy mid- Minnesota varieties one would be old harlson not harlred that is sold now Thanks
I will have to look at my Haralson and my Nw Greening. Might have some available.

I have lots of chestnut crab.

I was hoping to see this thread!

I should have the following available:

Wolf River
Arkansas Black
Late hanging crab of some sort (loaded) -Calling it silo-crab

Might have some:
Enterprise
Frostbite
Macoun
NY 35 (Bonkers)

Pears:
Flemish Beauty
Harrow Crisp
Harrow Delight

I have no idea if there are royalties or whatever on any of these trees. If you know, I would appreciate the info!

I might be interested in a wolf river. Not sure why other than it could be a good choice for further north.

One nursery owner told me the apples just did not sell and were only good for cooking. A late dropping crab might work just as well.
How aobut a picture of the silo crab? It sounds like what MoBuck has. What is the apple size?

Wolf River

image20140922210128019.jpg

Ed, I'll have Golden Hornet and Williams Pride on your list.

I'll post a fuller list over the weekend.

This is what I am currently growing that is older than first leaf.

Enterprise
Liberty
Goldrush
Galarina
Centennial crab
Chestnut crab
Black oxford
Frostbite
Honeygold
Northwest greening
Sansa
Wolf river
Northern spy
Winecrisp
Kerr
Flemish Beauty pear
Summercrisp pear
Dolgo crab
Zestar
Cortland

Ed, I'll have Golden Hornet and Williams Pride on your list.

I'll post a fuller list over the weekend.

Thanks lot!

Ed - just a ? - How is your Galarina growing for you? I was thinking of trying one. Any probs.?

I have:
Tolman Sweet
Winter Wildlife Crab
Purdy
Golden Hornet
Ashmead Kernel
Westfield Seek No Further
Sinkhole Apple (wild apple that holds its fruit into Jan.)

Looking for:
Priscilla
Liberty
Goldrush

Fireblight resistant pears

I have:
Some: Enterprise, Liberty, Goldrush, Arkansas Black
Select: Florina, Yates, Hewes (Virginia) Crab, Honeycrisp, Albermarle Pippen, Williams Pride

Greyphase, I'll plan on providing you Liberty and Goldrush
Ed: GH and Williams Pride
Dipper: I have you penciled in for Goldrush, Arkansas Black, and Frostbite

I have to figure out if I'm going to do any grafting, but I'm drooling over some of the varieties mentioned <grin>

I should have some of each of the following available

Kinnairds Choice
Sparger
Tollman Sweet
Nova Spy
Stayman (Virginia Winesap)
Hewes Crab
Terry Winter
Little Benny

Depending if Willy lets me help him prune his trees:) , should have Hewes, Roxbury Russett, Liberty, Virginia Gold, Newton Pippin and Keener Seedling.

Looking for

Prairie Magic
Chestnut Crab
Dolgo Crab
Williams Pride
Arkansas Black
Gala
Honey Crisp
Yates

Last edited:
How soon - in what leaf - can one harvest scion from newer planted apple trees?