2015 Scion or other seed Swap Thread

My pH runs 4.5 to 5.0 up there. I have some sample results somewhere. Phos was high. Soils have never been farmed. I throw some pel lime in the hole and stick to crab apples in most cases.
Bur you need to get that ph up, and as I mentioned for the site, not just in the hole. The roots extend out way past the hole and need that PH up out to the drip line. If you have an "orchard" rather than just a tree here or there, lime the site, and not just the tree if possible. Is there any less light or more weed competition at that site? A wetter area?

Bur you need to get that ph up, and as I mentioned for the site, not just in the hole. The roots extend out way past the hole and need that PH up out to the drip line. If you have an "orchard" rather than just a tree here or there, lime the site, and not just the tree if possible. Is there any less light or more weed competition at that site? A wetter area?
There is less light and I recognize the problem.

I have some in too wet of a site here at home, but some of the seedling crabs are doing well here.

You need higher ph as the tree cannot use the fertility that low , Pell line heavy and some fine ground lime also it will take awhile to treat that deep now , besides all fruit trees need the extra calcium from the lime . A good judge without a soil test if you are not getting 12 inches or more new growth per year there is a problem some where or more than 20 inches maybe too much fertility
In the north, I do not get 12 inches of growth in many years. This summer with fertilizer spikes and added lime a couple of tree made 12 inches AND much better rainfall.
Thanks for the tip, I will broadcast more pel lime.

I have placed tree fruit spikes in the ground and then put a handful of pel lime on top of the spike-good idea or not?

If phos is high on a soil test, but pH is low, is the Phos still tied up and not available? Or does the soil test only measure available phos?

Last edited:
In the north, I do nto get 12 inches of growth in many years. This summer with fertilizer spieks and added lime a couple of tree made 12 inches.

I have placed tree fruit spikes in the ground and then put a handful of pel lime on top of the spike-good idea or not?

If phos is high on a soil test, but pH is low, is the Phos still tied up and not available? Or does the soil test only measure available phos?

I would not put the pel lime in a pile. You could actually create a high soil pH in that vicinity and tie up your plant nutrients. You are better off spreading the lime over the entire area of the trees roots. Phos, potass. , nitrogen and other trace minerals are most easily accesible to plants in the 6 - 7.5 pH range depending on plant species. You can have high Phos and still have it tied up within in the soil complex to the point it is not readily accessible to the plants/trees. Nutrients have a positive ionic charge and low soil Ph is indicative of soil that has a negative ionic charge. So basically the soil grabs hold of the nutrients and the ability of the tree to over come the bond is not strong enough to break the bond and to allow absorption of the nutrients into the plant/tree.

In the north, I do nto get 12 inches of growth in many years. This summer with fertilizer spieks and added lime a couple of tree made 12 inches.

I forgot to even ask Art, are these trees older than your ones at home. PM me if you want, we kind of hijacked this thread!

X2 on what TC said.

The trees are of various ages, just like my trees at home.

But they are way behind on growth. There is a tremendous difference in soils as well. Good corn ground for central Mn. at home versus forest soils that are thin and struggle to grow clover without improvements-lime and fertilizer as well as organic matter.

I wonder if he might have a nematode problem Maya? Just a thought based on what I heard last week at the meeting. They did mention nematodes affect growth

Could be especially if this is a replant site. I think the ph # said it all though.

Yes you are probably correct

Anyone have an Crab scions left? Chestnut, kerr, Dolgo, whitney, etc....?

I have Kerr, Dolgo and Chestnut and will be pruning over the next few days

I have Kerr, Dolgo and Chestnut and will be pruning over the next few days
Please send me one kerr if you have extra. Is there anything else you need?

I will send you some hazen in a few weeks when I start pruning.

Please send me one kerr if you have extra. Is there anything else you need?

I will send you some hazen in a few weeks when I start pruning.
Art

To be sure I have you down for Anaros and Kerr is that correct? I will be getting both tomorrow. If there is anything else let me know please

Paul

Art

To be sure I have you down for Anaros and Kerr is that correct? I will be getting both tomorrow. If there is anything else let me know please

Paul
Looks good for now. Thank You!

Is it too late to get any scions? I just recently decided to do some grafting this spring!

In general I'm looking for DR varieties that'll be dropping from Late September through December (Liberty, Freedom, Goldrush, Enterprise, Florina etc...) These trees I'm not so much worried about the taste, as they're for my hunting property. I'm also looking for an earlier dropping DR variety that is good eating, as these are going into our "orchard" (maybe macfree, priscilla, pristine?..) I'm up for anything, as long as it has fireblight resistance. CAR is not a huge issue around my area.

I'd also be willing to try out some late hanging crabs that are a bit larger in size (closer to 1 inch?)

This year, I won't really be able to trade anything. The orchard has horrible fireblight, which is why I need to graft onto trees in it. I also won't be able to get up to my wild trees and my mystery blight resistant tree until April.

I know it might be too late, so if anyone has ANY of these, let me know please!

I have some for you. Send me a PM with your address.

I can give you some of the first set you mention if Crazy Ed can't fill all those. Send pm if he can't

Paul

Wow! thank you guys! I was half expecting everyone to have all of their cutting done!

Art

Paul
I plan to mail scion on Monday.

Wow! thank you guys! I was half expecting everyone to have all of their cutting done!
I have some NW Greening, chestnut crab, and a late dropping crab that I could spare a few of. Also hazen.