.....You might be a habitat guy

I got yelled at for this the other day....

If your truck sits outside, but your tractor and implements for it are all in the garage/barn!

If when asked about your weekend plans and your response is, "Well, if it's decent outside I will be working outside...but if not...then my options are open"

If you get frustrated with your wife, because she drug you shopping on staurday and it was beautiful outside, but "sunday is all yours"....and it pours rain!

If when someone mentions "seasons"....THEY think summer/winter/fall/spring......YOU think deer/turkey/watefowl planting and habitat seasons!!!

BigBendMarine,

They look like Shumard acorns to me

And thanks for bumping this thread

Enjoyed re reading all the posts!!

bill

In all seriousness, while believing them to be of a red oak variety anybody able to confirm and / or point to a particular oak species?
View attachment 33466
Those are Nuttall oak acorns. I have seen the same Nuttall tree start dropping acorns in October and still have acorns on the tree in March.

If you spend your winter hours pouring over websites of info about plot crops, fruit tree DR, e-mailing your local foresters for more info, and talking to university profs about growing fruit trees, integrated pest control, and best clover and alfalfa varieties ................... then placing orders for another round of planting in the spring.

If you find this in the back of your son's shed while helping him move and know you've just hit the jackpot.

DpFOUXn.jpg

You've had to explain to multiple neighboring farmers that you took all that tillable out of production to plant trees, shrubs, and prairie at your own expense because you do not want the government dictating your habitat goals with their bribes. People always look at me like I am from Mars when I say, "I didn't buy land to make money off of it."

Those are Nuttall oak acorns. I have seen the same Nuttall tree start dropping acorns in October and still have acorns on the tree in March.

Great!!!!!!

Send me a handful!!!!!

bill

Great!!!!!!

Send me a handful!!!!!

bill
TreeDaddy, if you'd like me to send some to you I'd be happy to do so. Only had a few floaters out of those I collected and I'd happily send you 25, 50, or 100. Just PM me your mailing address if you seriously want any.

Anybody in addition to TreeDaddy wants some you can PM me too. Just would add that I still don't feel super confident on whether they're Shumard, Nuttall, Northern Red or some other red oak hybrid. What I can say is that they certainly are fair-sized and dropped fairly late in the season. Looking at range maps for the shumard and nuttall, looks like both are a bit more common in the southern half of the country vs the northern half, so not sure precisely how they'd do up north for the bulk of the members in colder climates, but again don't mind shipping some to anyone wanting to plant a handful or two. Won't even charge anything, as don't want to feel any guilt if they don't ship well / germinate / grow well.

TreeDaddy, if you'd like me to send some to you I'd be happy to do so. Only had a few floaters out of those I collected and I'd happily send you 25, 50, or 100. Just PM me your mailing address if you seriously want any.

Anybody in addition to TreeDaddy wants some you can PM me too. Just would add that I still don't feel super confident on whether they're Shumard, Nuttall, Northern Red or some other red oak hybrid. What I can say is that they certainly are fair-sized and dropped fairly late in the season. Looking at range maps for the shumard and nuttall, looks like both are a bit more common in the southern half of the country vs the northern half, so not sure precisely how they'd do up north for the bulk of the members in colder climates, but again don't mind shipping some to anyone wanting to plant a handful or two. Won't even charge anything, as don't want to feel any guilt if they don't ship well / germinate / grow well.
PM sent

thanks!!

bill

When your wife's Lexus 350 is seen in the supermarket parking lot pulling a 2-row planter because your truck is in the auto repair shop.
10 points for you sir...

When Santa comes to visit and leaves instead of socks and cologne you get a new stihl ms 194 for grape vining and hinge cutting...

When New Years weekend is coming up and you can still late season bow hunt ... you look at your bow, then at your chainsaws .... a dilemma :emoji_thinking:

Don’t know how I missed this post before..I got a good one though..
You take a “bump” pic of your wife in your food plot (gotta get all those turnips and clovers in there too), but only under certain conditions...
There is no legal hunting season open.
There is a high % of rain in the near future to wash away the scent.
You have already checked the plot to make sure there’s nothing in it.
You are not quite as proud of the turnips, clover, WR and WW growing in the plot as you are to be a Dad soon.
You take 10 minutes to explain the plot prep and planting methods whenever anyone asks about the “green stuff in the background.”23B03166-89D5-4D1B-AE47-22333624153E.jpeg

Your talking to buddy in front of your wife and you mention how much money your spending for next springs planting’s and she looks at you and says “don’t tell me shit like that I don’t want to know”

Don’t know how I missed this post before..I got a good one though..
You take a “bump” pic of your wife in your food plot (gotta get all those turnips and clovers in there too), but only under certain conditions...
There is no legal hunting season open.
There is a high % of rain in the near future to wash away the scent.
You have already checked the plot to make sure there’s nothing in it.
You are not quite as proud of the turnips, clover, WR and WW growing in the plot as you are to be a Dad soon.
You take 10 minutes to explain the plot prep and planting methods whenever anyone asks about the “green stuff in the background.”View attachment 39618

Congratulations!