'yotes - can we make a difference?

They seem to be out of control in our area. My dad bought the property back in the early 80's when we were kids. Never heard or saw one up until a few yrs ago when they settled in. Few yrs back I shot a doe, I decided to wait until the am to track. Well I found only a head hide and bones, it was wiped clean. This deer season I saw 5 yotes. Prior to this yr I've only ever seen one on our property.

I'm continuing to trap nonetheless.

wondering what they use out west at bait sites/ poison to get em the easy way?

Cyanide guns. Quick and easy but, you can’t use them in any kind of populated areas. Too much risk for humans and dogs.

974F6023-EDD9-408C-AE4F-2669DEA67D92.jpeg
We’ve killed 21 now off 80 acres this winter. I’ve killed 15 off a 4 acre pond and continue to see numerous coyotes there! I don’t know if it’s helping, but I refuse to believe it’s hurting any! I’m having a blast getting them. Prices are not bad. I intend to keep on them and hope to see more fawns growing on into the fall.

View attachment 23034
We’ve killed 21 now off 80 acres this winter. I’ve killed 15 off a 4 acre pond and continue to see numerous coyotes there! I don’t know if it’s helping, but I refuse to believe it’s hurting any! I’m having a blast getting them. Prices are not bad. I intend to keep on them and hope to see more fawns growing on into the fall.

You can't imagine how much I approve of this message!!!!!

View attachment 23034

I wish i could hit my like button once for every dead coyote

I have given a couple of friends permission to yote hunt my land but they never seem to make it there to kill any.

I have taken a different approach to coyotes. I feed them every bit of scraps I can get from my processor. He does cattle and hogs in the off season. I got 15 5 gallon buckets of fat and trimmings from him last week. I put it out for the eagles, hawks, blue jays and all other carrion eaters. I think if I can keep a coyotes stomach full it will leave the deer alone. I put these scraps out on a very isolated part of my land that has very little impact on my deer hunting. My processor claims that the coyotes will actually eat themselves to death. He says they can get so much fat and trimmings in their gut that it plugs them up causing death. I have no evidence to back up this claim. I have not seen any evidence of coyote kills on my land since I started dumping scraps. I do this year round when ever I can get scraps. The scraps do not tend to keep viable too long when it is 90 degrees outside.

I am curious if any other forum members have any comments on this approach to coyote control.

Last edited:
I killed 143 hogs on my place last year in about six months last year. I saw no evidence that coyotes ate themselves to death with all that free pork. Coyote pics on game cams increased while I was killing all the hogs. It did make it easier to trap some of them. I would not want elevated coyote numbers during fawning season

I visited a sheep farm years ago that was having problems with coyotes killing sheep. They brought in a government trapper from out West to assess the situation and make recommendations. After a talk on how different predators killed their prey we went out into the pastures. We found 13 dead sheep from the night before. Only one or two had signs of being chewed on. The rest, were killed for no other reason than coyotes killing for the sake of it. It was a big eye opener as to what coyotes are capable of. Sometimes it’s just not food.

I believe the best thing to control coyotes is mange. We had lots of coyotes until early 90's when the mange was really bad. It got to where you could go all winter and hardly see a track. The deer herd was at its greatest either due to the lack of coyotes, amount of CRP, not enough hunters or a combination of it all. A lot of people started filling doe tags. Now the mange has run it's course and coyotes have been back for a while. The deer population is down probably due to a combination of coyotes, EHD, loss of cover (CRP), and number of hunters. Fortunately, fur prices have come back up. And, at least locally, hunting coyotes is more popular than ever. Unfortunately, all of the ground leased for deer, leaves the coyotes a lot of protected areas.
I do not wish for the mange to come back. But, it sure did a number on the yotes.

At this point, higher fur prices may be what is needed to get people motivated. $50 a yote in the early 80's got a lot of people hunting. What would $150 or $200 a yote in today's money do? (a guy's gotta dream...right?)

Those kind of prices would make a huge difference! I trapped a lot until prices went so low that you couldn't hardly give away a pelt. I would love to see $35 yotes and $20 coons again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Coyotes are getting better. Selling green fur last year, best I got was $20. Getting $30 this year. Woo hoo.

You can't imagine how much I approve of this message!!!!!
Native, knowing your perspective on predator control and knowing your title for anyone with less aggressive opinions have you seen the video I posted with the rattlesnakes? I shudder to think of your response knowing I drove away letting them carry on with their rituals of dominance.

Native, knowing your perspective on predator control and knowing your title for anyone with less aggressive opinions have you seen the video I posted with the rattlesnakes? I shudder to think of your response knowing I drove away letting them carry on with their rituals of dominance.

Rusty, I haven't seen it yet. Let me know where to find it. Actually I don't have much animosity for snakes, because they don't run in packs and kill for barbaric pleasure. They also don't murder fawns and compete to any degree with me in any way. And even though there may be some far out heathen worship for snakes - it is nowhere near the degree of wolf and wolf hybrid (the new coyote) worship that exists in our own halls of government.

However, that one word you mentioned (dominance) does bother me a bit, because God gave me dominance (i.e. "dominion") over the earth (Genesis 1:26), and since he never changes, that hasn't changed either. So bottom line is, I leave snakes alone until they become a threat for dominance/dominion - but they get their hind ends blown away if they cross the line.

PS - I was working in Eastern KY last summer and inspected a new electric line built to a guy in the mountains. He was at home the day we were there. If my memory serves me correctly, he said that when he cleared a 4 acre spot for his new home, he killed 36 copperheads and 12 rattlesnakes in the process. I can't blame him for that, because sometimes I like to just step out at night and gaze at the stars............

On another trip over there, the guy I was riding with from the area introduced me to the fellow who furnishes rattlesnakes to the few snake handing churches left in that neck of the woods. He asked him if he had any snakes, and he said - a few in some barrels at the house. Always amazing to me that people actually believe they should be doing that, but to each his own. They just better not try to hand me one.................

Rusty, I haven't seen it yet. Let me know where to find it. Actually I don't have much animosity for snakes, because they don't run in packs and kill for barbaric pleasure. They also don't murder fawns and compete to any degree with me in any way. And even though there may be some far out heathen worship for snakes - it is nowhere near the degree of wolf and wolf hybrid (the new coyote) worship that exists in our own halls of government.

However, that one word you mentioned (dominance) does bother me a bit, because God gave me dominance (i.e. "dominion") over the earth (Genesis 1:26), and since he never changes, that hasn't changed either. So bottom line is, I leave snakes alone until they become a threat for dominance/dominion - but they get their hind ends blown away if they cross the line.

PS - I was working in Eastern KY last summer and inspected a new electric line built to a guy in the mountains. He was at home the day we were there. If my memory serves me correctly, he said that when he cleared a 4 acre spot for his new home, he killed 36 copperheads and 12 rattlesnakes in the process. I can't blame him for that, because sometimes I like to just step out at night and gaze at the stars............

On another trip over there, the guy I was riding with from the area introduced me to the fellow who furnishes rattlesnakes to the few snake handing churches left in that neck of the woods. He asked him if he had any snakes, and he said - a few in some barrels at the house. Always amazing to me that people actually believe they should be doing that, but to each his own. They just better not try to hand me one.................
I do find your posts interesting.The snake video is in my property tour ...farm and ranch life

I do find your posts interesting.The snake video is in my property tour ...farm and ranch life

Sounds good, and I will watch it. I noticed you had started a thread but was going to wait until I had a chance to look at it more closely before getting in to it. I will be tagging along and have a lot of respect for your knowledge of deer.