Yellowstone

BuckSutherland

5 year old buck +
Supposed to go to Yellowstone next month. Sounds like the North loop and roads from Cooke City to Gardiner are a mess. Was hoping to come in on the Beartooth Highway through the Lamar Valley. Also lost our whitewater rafting trip. Still hoping to go. We have a campsite reserved in southern loop. Also gonna visit the Tetons.

I was catfishing in glendive earlier this month.

it was awesome.

Hopefully you can still get in through cook city and it works for your trip even though continuing on to gardiner will be a no go. That’s an incredible drive through the beartooth pass.

We’re going to red lodge in about a month too. Were planning on taking the baby for her first overnight backpacking trip but I’m worried a lot of the trailheads in the beartooths may not even be accessible.

there is not going to be any access to Yellowstone from cook city this yr and possible next yr, its got too much major damage to be opened any time soon
the same goes for the access into Yellowstone from the gardiner north entrance , there is just again too much damage
and the big problem with this, it, the fact that this USED to be the major route for all the supplies for yellowstone, so, loosing this, is going to curb a LOT of things in the park for this yr and possibly even longer
the roads that got washed out in the park and going to cook city, are major, and will require all new engineering and designing and rte routing, due to how the river change where its flowing at.
I hate to be negative here for you, but the park will not be open as normal any time soon
MAYBE if you wanted, go north more, head to Glacier park, its also very nice
and make the trip back to yellowstone in a yr or two when its back to good , as yellowstone is a wonderful place to visit when its open as usual !
just a thought,
and a FYI< from My trips to yellowstone , I found going a week or so before it closes for winter it a GREAT time to be there, almost NO one in the park, critters every where, seem no one goes there close to closing! you get the place to yourself pretty much!