WTB: Remington 7600 Carbine in .30-06

Yes Foggy, I think when I picked mine up 25 years ago or so it was about a $400 rifle. Should have picked up 2!
I used to think that just about any decent brand of a used rifle was worth $400 or so. Now that number seems to be $800 and up. I bought numerous Marlin lever action rifles for $300 to $400 a few years back......fun guns to shoot....now they have gotten popular again and prices are climbing. Last year is the first year that I have not bought a new gun in many years. Now, I been giving 'em to my family. Just gave away much of my reloading gear to my SIL and Grandson. They are having fun with it and learning so much.

I've noticed that 22" Remington 7600's are significantly less expensive than the 18" carbine version. Thinking about just buying a 22" 7600 and cutting the barrel down to 18". Watched a few Youtube vids. Seems pretty easy as a DIY project with some basic hand tools. Not too worried about loss of accuracy as shots at deer when tracking are under 75 yards 95% of the time. There are a few beater 7600's on Gunbroker right now that would be perfect for my son.

Anybody ever shorten a barrel at home?

I've shortened two barrels. Both were on military Mausers that I sporterized. Cutting them off is the easy part recrowning the barrel is the part that needs to be precise or you will be the guy who can't hit a bull in the ass with a bucket. Using a lathe is the best way but Brownells sells a specialized tool for crowning if you don't have a lathe.

If the muzzle isn't faced square to the bore, remember your barrel O.D. is tapered, you won't know how the bullet will exit the barrel. You'll have to crown the barrel in order to protect the rifling in the muzzle.

Here's the link to the crowning tool. https://www.brownells.com/tools-cle.../precision-reamers-muzzle-crown-refacing-kit/

Good Luck

Should add in that you'll have to reattach your front sight if you use iron sights. The height if the sight might be wrong after shortening the barrel. Remember, you'll be putting the sight back on the barrel where the barrel is thicker. That will raise the front sight in relation to the back sight and may not work for you. If you're scoping the gun son't worry about it.

Last edited:
A much younger version of me once shortened the barrel of a 12 gauge stevens single shot chambered for 3” shells. Made it a pistol grip too. Good thing it was only a single shot because after firing it one would have to pick it up off the ground and massage the hand that fired it. I still have the receiver but long ago disposed of the stock and barrel. 🤣

That ended my gunsmithing career.

I've noticed that 22" Remington 7600's are significantly less expensive than the 18" carbine version. Thinking about just buying a 22" 7600 and cutting the barrel down to 18". Watched a few Youtube vids. Seems pretty easy as a DIY project with some basic hand tools. Not too worried about loss of accuracy as shots at deer when tracking are under 75 yards 95% of the time. There are a few beater 7600's on Gunbroker right now that would be perfect for my son.

Anybody ever shorten a barrel at home?
IMO you would be better off to have a gunsmith do it. I dont think it should cost too much....especially if you have a "home guns-smith" that would have a lathe and the right tools to do the work. As said getting the cut even and crown done right is critical to accuracy. Gas cutting as the bullet exits the barrel can really raise havoc. Needs to be quite true to exert and even force as the bullet exits the barrel.

Maybe you can disassemble the rifle and remove and re-install the barrel? May save a few bucks. A hack saw and some home tools is not a sound plan. Maybe you got better? Dunno.

IMO you would be better off to have a gunsmith do it. I dont think it should cost too much....especially if you have a "home guns-smith" that would have a lathe and the right tools to do the work. As said getting the cut even and crown done right is critical to accuracy. Gas cutting as the bullet exits the barrel can really raise havoc. Needs to be quite true to exert and even force as the bullet exits the barrel.

Maybe you can disassemble the rifle and remove and re-install the barrel? May save a few bucks. A hack saw and some home tools is not a sound plan. Maybe you got better? Dunno.
Removing and reinstalling a barrel from the receiver is even more critical of an adventure than cutting and crowning the barrel. You can irreparably damage the receiver if done wrong and if you do't get the headspacing right when reassembling you could blow up the whole she bang, pun intended, the next time you fire the gun.

Please take it to a qualified gunsmith for the work, don't rely on youtube to teach you how to ruin a perfectly good firearm.

I hear you. Fair points. Wouldn't have to remove the barrel at all. There are all kinds of special jigs and re-crowning tools and dies available. But my local gunsmith is an option for sure. If he charges a few hundred bucks...absolutely. No brainer. Just have no idea what it would cost me.

Removing and reinstalling a barrel from the receiver is even more critical of an adventure than cutting and crowning the barrel. You can irreparably damage the receiver if done wrong and if you do't get the headspacing right when reassembling you could blow up the whole she bang, pun intended, the next time you fire the gun.

Please take it to a qualified gunsmith for the work, don't rely on youtube to teach you how to ruin a perfectly good firearm.

Thanks Jerry...and good tips and fair advice. I'm confused though. In your first post it sounded like you were encouraging me to give it a try and linked the crowing tool. But then here you advised against it.

Larry Potterfield has a Youtube vid showing how basic of a job it is with a few simple tools. He used a hacksaw. Just figured if he's doing a DIY tutorial that it's possible to do at home. I don't have any jigs or crowing tools though.

Going to ask my local gunsmith what he'd charge me. For a few hundred bucks at a gunsmith clearly it's not even worth buying the tools to do it myself.

Thanks again...

If you want to stick that pilot of the crowning tool into the bore of your rifle and spin it around have a it. I don't do stuff like that in the bore of my firearms. I can't imagine what that spinning pilot does to the rifling in the most important part of the barrel.

I don't know if I was encouraging you or not, just showing how much the special tools can cost and what needs to be done if you want to do a really good job on a muzzle.

When I did mine I had access to a lathe and I have knowledge on how to run one and how to grind the tools.

It's fun and rewarding to do these type of projects as long as nothing gets botched up and needs to be corrected by a professional. Then it's not fun just costly.

If you want to stick that pilot of the crowning tool into the bore of your rifle and spin it around have a it. I don't do stuff like that in the bore of my firearms. I can't imagine what that spinning pilot does to the rifling in the most important part of the barrel.

I don't know if I was encouraging you or not, just showing how much the special tools can cost and what needs to be done if you want to do a really good job on a muzzle.

When I did mine I had access to a lathe and I have knowledge on how to run one and how to grind the tools.

It's fun and rewarding to do these type of projects as long as nothing gets botched up and needs to be corrected by a professional. Then it's not fun just costly.

OK...sounds good. All great points. I do not have any tools or a lathe...and I certainly have no experience using one.

Found one on Gunbroker. Was watching a few and ended up seeing this one. It's a right handed version of the rifle my gramp past on to me that I then sold. It's a 760 Gamemaster in .30-06...so the precursor to the 7600. And it's a special edition 760 BDL with the basket weave checkering made in March on 1980, which was the last year of production for the 760.

Super clean rifle...I think too clean for my kid! LOL. I may use this one myself and give my son my worn and battered 7600 to carry. Not a carbine though. It's got the 22" barrel. My local gunsmith can cut, recrown, reblue, and remount the front site for $100. So clearly that's the way to go.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 5.56.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 5.55.52 AM.png

Wow that gun looks mint for 43 years old….
Mine has plenty of battle scars.

Do yourself a favor and poke some holes in paper with it before you have the barrel cut down. I have the 22” barrel and it’s never been a problem, “and” it’s a tack driver.

Wow that gun looks mint for 43 years old….
Mine has plenty of battle scars.

Do yourself a favor and poke some holes in paper with it before you have the barrel cut down. I have the 22” barrel and it’s never been a problem, “and” it’s a tack driver.

Yeah, real nice rifle Bill. Don't think it saw much use at all. That's why I went for it...paid a typical GB price, but money wasn't really a factor. Didn't want a shot out barrel.

And yes, I hear you. It's in such nice shape that I am considering just leaving the 22" barrel. Carbines are a little lighter. They swing faster. Less obtrusive in Maine swamps. Classic "Benoit" style rifle. But everything I do with my 7600 carbine I will be able to do with this 760 no problem.