WTB: Remington 7600 Carbine in .30-06

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Thought I'd take a shot with a WTB ad here on the forum.

My son is getting old enough to track and hunt in the Northeast big woods. Looking to pick up a used Remington 7600 in .30-06 for him. Don't really care about condition. Looking for the carbine version with the 18" barrel.

Thanks in advance.

Don’t have one to sell. But that’s a good choice, I love mine.

Thats pretty much the unoffical hunting rifle of PA there. Browning made a BPR pump in 30-06 incase you get stumped finding a good remmington.

Don’t have one to sell. But that’s a good choice, I love mine.
Thats pretty much the unoffical hunting rifle of PA there. Browning made a BPR pump in 30-06 incase you get stumped finding a good remmington.

Yeah, a classic Northeast deer gun. In the mid-90's my gramp gave me his that he bought back in the 70's I'm sure after the famous Sports Afield mag cover with Larry Benoit came out. Still had the tags on it...but it was a left handed version. Every time I shot and pumped the action the case would eject across my face. Sold that and have had a right handed model ever since.

Got my local FFL's keeping an eye out for me. 7600's can be found on Gunbroker, but the prices are just ridiculous there. Hoping to find something a little more reasonable for my kid.

Yikes, just looked at cabelas gun library. They are not cheap.

Chilling out on buying guns. I was getting the parts together for a 458 socom AR-15 for Adirondack hunting. Sold what I had when the safe act came up. Don't want to be in the woods with a gun you shouldn't own as per my state. 450 marlin BLR is about as close as I get to a woods slammer. I do have a very good shooting SKS with a burris fastfire I have used when on drives.

They're not Bill. They went through the roof just like everything right around the Covid outbreak. You could pick one up for around $500 or $600 5 or 6 years ago.

I noticed you're in western mass. I'm in the hudson valley and work in the catskills. There is this very old school gun shop near my job. He is a retired postal worker and comes back from florida in april. Seen a few there before. I'll keep an eye out.

I noticed you're in western mass. I'm in the hudson valley and work in the catskills. There is this very old school gun shop near my job. He is a retired postal worker and comes back from florida in april. Seen a few there before. I'll keep an eye out.

Thank you. I would appreciate that.

From the mountains I hunt in the North-west Berkshires I can look out and see the Catskills.

holy crap, those prices are double of what i thought i would see! got rid of one of these long ago for like $250, and kept a 1960's 742 woodmaster .06. wish i hadn't done that now.

I've got one, special engravng on it and everything. I wonder what it is worth

I was in a large gun shop in Walker today (Reeds Sporting Goods aka Nortland Firearms on the Web) and looked at the prices on new Guns. Saw many that are now double to 4x what I paid for those similar guns years back. Somehow you always regret selling a gun......as you can almost never replace them for what you get for them. Same is true of other things.....but guns have a way of "smarting" more.

I'm still feeling the pain of selling an old Winchester low wall in 22WCF (that I bought at a garage sale for $5.00), A Browning BLR, Savage 99 in 250 Savage, and a few Model 12 Winchesters that had sentimental value. Now, I try to give my firearms to my family when they old enough to appreciate the model.....and a little history of the gun(s).

I was in a large gun shop in Walker today (Reeds Sporting Goods aka Nortland Firearms on the Web) and looked at the prices on new Guns. Saw many that are now double to 4x what I paid for those similar guns years back. Somehow you always regret selling a gun......as you can almost never replace them for what you get for them. Same is true of other things.....but guns have a way of "smarting" more.

I'm still feeling the pain of selling an old Winchester low wall in 22WCF (that I bought at a garage sale for $5.00), A Browning BLR, Savage 99 in 250 Savage, and a few Model 12 Winchesters that had sentimental value. Now, I try to give my firearms to my family when they old enough to appreciate the model.....and a little history of the gun(s).

I’ve only ever sold two guns. One I wish I still had it even though I wouldn’t use it. The other I actually gave away for an auction where the proceeds went to one of our friends wife after his death. Don’t regret that one.

I sold a marlin 30-30 when I was young and dumb cause I thought it was a “kids” rifle. Had to have a 30-06. Would love to have a 30-30 again just for nostalgia. I don’t rifle hunt so I’m too cheap to just buy one to stare at right now.

Natty,

You can search for one on gunbroker, and check it out in person. Be a bit open, and put in pump action rifle and see what comes up.

Natty,

You can search for one on gunbroker, and check it out in person. Be a bit open, and put in pump action rifle and see what comes up.

Yes. I've been looking on Gunbroker for about a year now. I think prices there are just way too inflated. Average examples are going for about $1500. Real nice 7600's upwards of $2k. Hoping to find one at a local gun store or from a fellow collector at a more reasonable price. I think if I am patient something will come along.

Those prices are absolutely crazy!! Is there something very special about a 7600? I've got the fore runner to the 7600 in a 760 in 30-06. I'm thinking it might be worth a couple of hundred at best.

Those prices are absolutely crazy!! Is there something very special about a 7600? I've got the fore runner to the 7600 in a 760 in 30-06. I'm thinking it might be worth a couple of hundred at best.

SOLD!!!!! LOL. 😄

I am only speculating. The 760 and the 7600 are legendary Northeast deer tracker's rifles. The Benoits made them famous, and in the northwoods of Maine, NH, VT, the Adirondacks and the Berkshires of Mass...it's the "go to" gun. Even the green and black plaid wool jackets the Benoits stylized and made famous are in high demand. It's "the look" and it's "the gun" to have to hunt like Larry Benoit. And in a modern hunting era awash in countless and often mindless high-tech gadgets, trinkets, fads to make hunting easier, I have a feeling there are more and more hunters looking for the exact opposite experience. "Back to basics", if you will...a rifle, a sandwich, a length of rope, map, compass, green and black plaid wool jacket...and a big buck track in the Maine northwoods. And of course, a Remington 7600.

Again, just speculating. There is clearly a demand for these old venerable rifles. Your 760 would do very well on Gunbroker.

Larry-Benoit.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought one of those 7600 guns from a guy who could only get $300 in trade about 20 years ago. He had a stroke and could not shoot a rifle but could shoot a pistol. I think he got a Ruger Redhawk Pisol in 44 mag.....IIRC. I was doing him a favor as the gun dealer selling him the pistol didnt want his rifle very bad.....and he needed to move on. This was about 30 years ago. I sold it......but I do not remember who to.....or what I got for it. Not much more. His was a Ducks Unlimted model with the cartridge case head in the stock and maybe some emblem on the gun.....and he had lots of magazines, a Redfield scope, and accessories. Those guns dont work for me......as they are too loud to load in our blinds. Tho....I know several people that own 'em.

I bought one of those 7600 guns from a guy who could only get $300 in trade about 20 years ago. He had a stroke and could not shoot a rifle but could shoot a pistol. I think he got a Ruger Redhawk Pisol in 44 mag.....IIRC. I was doing him a favor as the gun dealer selling him the pistol didnt want his rifle very bad.....and he needed to move on. This was about 30 years ago. I sold it......but I do not remember who to.....or what I got for it. Not much more. His was a Ducks Unlimted model with the cartridge case head in the stock and maybe some emblem on the gun.....and he had lots of magazines, a Redfield scope, and accessories. Those guns dont work for me......as they are too loud to load in our blinds. Tho....I know several people that own 'em.

Yes Foggy, I think when I picked mine up 25 years ago or so it was about a $400 rifle. Should have picked up 2!