Wood duck houses

I've never left a cam out all winter but will have to this year.
Just one pic of it last night. It's welcome to stay but may just be looking for a meal or the flash is new and spooking it. Pics should be much clearer off the card. 20210315_103938.jpg

I got mine cleaned out last week here in Kansas,where are you?

Wisconsin. First time putting cell cams on them...usually have them put away 'til late summer.
785289366.jpg

Hanging out more frequently now. 95a95657-a792-477e-b04c-efe4036ebccd.jpg

So disappointed. I have 2 boxes up but the ponds are just about dry. Was a dry fall and not a lot of run off this spring. I hope my ponds fill back up.

Hope you get a lot of rain up there soon. We're lucky to have this spring-fed creek going thru the property. Would hate to see that dry up.

Have a cam attached to the side of one house and wondered if that would spook them. A few pics of her entering/exiting so I guess not.
Only one worth sharing.
STC-0496.jpg

I wish I would have posted this earlier as I got them a bit cheaper(on sale...7% off) but still a decent deal for redwood houses- $59.99. Get 2 or more and there's free shipping. Planned to make some myself over the winter but things got in the way. Other places are more expensive even just pine and then the shipping :emoji_astonished:
Maybe they'll be on sale after the summer again.

Edit: I forgot to mention there's a $10 off{$100 or more) offer that pops up on the site. Mentioned elsewhere if you don't get one.

Last edited:
Only negative I see with these is the metal screens/latches have sharp poking edges I'll have to cut & grind down smooth. At least I don't think it's good for the young climbing up if they go off to a side or maybe even the parents flying in and out all the time Will let them know so maybe they can.. smooth things out in the future.
20220323_165313.JPG

I got my kits from Greggs bird houses

Those look good. I can get kits for $25 each and $5 total for shipping here in WI but they're pine. Still might if I can find some cheap or even free posts to put them on. Leftover solid water-based deck stain the tops to help them last longer which I've done before. https://www.wisducks.org/product-category/wood-duck-boxes/

in east texas,Its also time to service the martin and blue bird boxes, and hang hummingbird feeders

bill

I have a TON of scrap 5/8" OSB plywood... Could that be painted or anything to serve as a wood duck house if I rip it to 11.5" pieces? I have made a couple now out of 1x12x12 Cedar... but id love to use up some scrap wood I have laying around. Is it a waste of time/effort?

Swiffy, It’ll work just dont expect it to last more than a few seasons. I’ve used it, treated, T-111 and various other scraps.

There's a company called Timber Pro Coatings out of Oregon I think. They sell a product that people put on their raised bed gardens. If a guy was going to use untreated lumber it might work. My experience with OSB plywood hasn't been that good. Biggest problem is the squirrels chewing it up.

There's a company called Timber Pro Coatings out of Oregon I think. They sell a product that people put on their raised bed gardens. If a guy was going to use untreated lumber it might work. My experience with OSB plywood hasn't been that good. Biggest problem is the squirrels chewing it up.

Must be this product?: https://timberprocoatingsusa.com/products/internal-wood-stabilizer/

The biggest problem I've had with my pine ones is the roofs cracking and/or warping. The one-piece ones. The deck stain does help.