Wolf hunt in Wisconsin! Love having conservative Judges

Update - 182 wolves shot ....

Oh, let the shennanigans ensue...

Estimated population of 1,000. Goal of 350. Quota of 119....... must be common core math.
Well thats what you can expect now form UWSP which is hwere most of these people go.

Anyone have any pics of big ones that got killed? Would a guy mostly hunt a wolf over bait?

From what I read most of them were killed by hunting them with hounds and that's how they killed so many so quickly. It sounds like that works when you can find one wolf alone, but if the pack of hounds runs into a pack of wolves the hounds don't do well.

Hounds took the most followed by trapping

Harvesting that many in just 2 1/2 days shows how far off the DNR is on their population estimate. Way more wolves out there than the DNR will ever admit. At least in the article I read the DNR biologist stated the harvest amount will not have any effect on the population.

My hunting land is in prime Wolf territory, I would multiply times 10 of what the DNR says.

Anyone have any pics of big ones that got killed? Would a guy mostly hunt a wolf over bait?
My buddy met this guy in a bar with his success out in the back of his truck Don't even know his name so blocked out the pic a little

IMG_5136.jpg

I hunted a fringe area with an official population estimate of 2 wolves in that 16 square mile area.

I couldn't hunt the first day. On the morning of the second day, I cut 20 sets of wolf tracks during my about 20 miles of driving around there, after 4 wolves that I knew of had already been harvested on the first day.

8 wolves were taken in that 16 square mile fringe area by the end of season (that count is just the ones I know of), and hunters with hounds were still chasing 6 more wolves at the point in time that the season closed on Wednesday and immediately retrieved their hounds when the season ended.

I think it would be a smart move for the DNR to send questionnaires to those of us who were out there looking for wolves and ask what we saw. I also think tooth sampling for an aging study, like they did for bears, would also be a good idea.

Silly question but what happens when the hounds catch the wolf.

No hounds caught any wolves where I hunted, as far as I know. Guys simply posted around a two to four square mile block of woods and hoped the disturbance of the barking hounds following wolf tracks in the forest would bump a wolf to move to a different section and pass by the hunters posted in open areas like clearcuts. The wolves generally were a half mile or more ahead of the hounds. It was far from a sure thing. The reason the success rate was so high, at least where I hunted, was because the wolf density was so high.

I can speak only about where I hunted, though I heard that the party to the north of us harvested 9 the first day.

The DNR could obtain a lot of valuable information from those of us who were out there on this hunt. I hope they ask for it.

Last edited:
Still no questionnaire for the thousands of us who were out there during the Wisconsin wolf hunt, hunting or assisting hunters, asking us what we saw. If the statistics I read on the internet are true, the Wisconsin DNR received $388,130 combined from wolf tag applicants and wolf tag recipients. Is it a matter of the DNR not being able afford to assign an employee to send out a survey asking what we wolf hunters observed while afield? I just don't get it. Sounds like a good question for the Wisconsin Conservation Congress to raise.

I would like to see a map that shows where the wolves were harvested. They have done that for the earlier hunts. I would like to see if any were taken close to our land.

Good news! I received a letter from the DNR today saying that they will be sending a link by email to a February 2021 wolf season survey. It was addressed to "Dear Successful Wisconsin Wolf Season Applicant", so maybe all those of us who drew will be receiving the link. I encourage everyone who receives the link in their email to take the survey. The DNR seems eager for our feedback.