Wisconsin legislators author bill to reduce doe harvest in Northern Zone

Brian662

5 year old buck +
I'm surprised this hasn't come up here yet, unless I missed it. Have to believe we have some forum members with property in this region.

TL;DR no antlerless tags for 4 years.

Last edited:
If what they say in that article is correct, I’ll be able to buy two antlerless tags still. One for bow and one for gun. Thats probably more than most already buy or use.

If they want to go no antlerless then make it no antlerless. That would certainly help, but until you can get the predators in check, this will probably be a moot point.

I own land in Langlade and Lincoln counties. The wolves are out of hand.

If what they say in that article is correct, I’ll be able to buy two antlerless tags still. One for bow and one for gun. Thats probably more than most already buy or use.

If they want to go no antlerless then make it no antlerless. That would certainly help, but until you can get the predators in check, this will probably be a moot point.

I own land in Langlade and Lincoln counties. The wolves are out of hand.
I think that's incorrect. The way I read the article is that you can get two antlered tags, not antlerless. I initially read it the same way as you did, but I dont believe that's the case.

I think that's incorrect. The way I read the article is that you can get two antlered tags, not antlerless. I initially read it the same way as you did, but I dont believe that's the case.
You are correct! I need to slow down I guess 😂

Step in the right direction for sure.

There hasn’t been a doe killed in the Northern Forest area I hunt for over 10 years except for the youth hunter tags.

In 2 weeks during mid fall on 5 cameras spread over nearly 300 acres, I got more photos of wolves, bears, and coyotes, than deer. Fact.

More does = more wolf food right now up here. Why bother?

I’m a No.

You want to fix the Northern Forest? Chainsaws and 450 wolves max statewide….like they promised us decades ago!!

I can agree with no does for some of the northern counties but not all of the counties in red on map. Our land is in Langlade county, 1 mile from Marathon county and 1 mile from Shawano county. There are plenty of does in our area. The deer completely ate 8 acres of food plots to the dirt. The deer are also starting to create a browse line. Maybe it should be for areas north of Hwy 8.

The only issue is the bucks get absolutely hammered ! No deer harvested for one year (close the season in that area) would be a better solution! Although it would be unpopular!

The only issue is the bucks get absolutely hammered ! No deer harvested for one year (close the season in that area) would be a better solution! Although it would be unpopular!
It will end up like the 70's and 80's where all that was available for bucks were 1.5 year old spikes and forks.

Last edited:
Just curious how many wolves you guys see while hunting in areas that have wolves?

Double tap

Last edited:
My group of 4 guys saw 20 wolves and 4 deer on my land opening weekend.

I’m not saying that’s normal and It was obviously the same pack that we saw twice, but 10 canines trolling your land 2 days in a row is rough duty.

On average, I actually see wolves while I’m hunting every year or 2. Just living here and traveling around the area by car or atv or snowmobile….I see them 5-8 times per year.

When the pack is on “my” side of their territory, we hear them howling every night….Sometimes within 100 yards of our houses.

Nobody here leaves their pets outside unprotected. They will take your dog off your porch.

Wolves aren’t “afraid” of us like other animals. The close encounters I’ve had with them don’t end with them instantly wheeling and bounding off. They stand there and stare at you like they own the place….then walk off.

I’m sorry for the de-rail. But I think we have far bigger problems up here than any “no doe” law is going to solve.

How killing 2 dink bucks over a corn pile (97% of hunters here) and feeding all our does & fawns to the wolves saves hunting in the Northwoods eludes me?

So to improve the doe herd the DNR will focus on over hunting buck herd?

Give this program 2-3 years and hunters will be screaming about over hunting of bucks.

Last edited:
I’m sorry for the de-rail. But I think we have far bigger problems up here than any “no doe” law is going to solve.

How killing 2 dink bucks over a corn pile (97% of hunters here) and feeding all our does & fawns to the wolves saves hunting in the Northwoods eludes me?
Game wardens don’t have the resources or give a damn to stop bait hunting which is illegal, who thinks they could stop wolf killing, which is illegal.

You’re right Howbout….but here is the rub.

If the worst happened in either case, one is a civil forfeiture and the other is a Federal Felony.

When the feds show up at my place and see my Let’s Go Brandon flag, my life would be over!👍😂😂

I live in the northern area, we saw a total of 5 deer during 9 days of rifle season. We saw 2 wolves, but they were howling every evening within 50-100 yards of us. I have seen them in my yard, like said earlier, they aren’t afraid of us.

My county for the last at least 7 years has been 9000-13,000 doe tags sold. On top of that, most people don’t even register deer, since it is an honor system anyhow. The no does for 4 years will help my area, because we have a lot of public land, and the no doe tags will stop a lot of out towners from coming up for deer hunting. But the bucks will take a beating, but not much different then it is now.

The wolves and bear need to be controlled or the more doe for 4 years will just increase the predators in the area. The liberal feds need to just let states manage their states.

You’re right Howbout….but here is the rub.

If the worst happened in either case, one is a civil forfeiture and the other is a Federal Felony.

When the feds show up at my place and see my Let’s Go Brandon flag, my life would be over!👍😂😂
lol I know. It just sucks for y’all. I get so frustrated reading about what should be a great place to hunt turn into a wasteland because of blatant mismanagement

I couldn't live there. Just watching some one's ill-conceived idea of how this world should be..... wolves everywhere, destroying all other wildlife populations. I would not have a visible wolf problem on my property. I would pre dig the holes well in advance.

my hunters see one coyote every other year while we are deer hunting. I see maybe two or three during the year while riding around, planting, fishing, etc. But some nights, I hear three different packs off my front porch. We have a lot of coyotes. We see one bobcat every other year. Last year, I got pictures of four different cats in one night. We dont ever see a feral hog in day light. Yet I get pictures of them all year. I dont know that visual sightings are a true indicator.

The president of the lease I use to belong to lives for sure back in the woods. He told me - beyond a shadow of a doubt - many more bears are killed illegally than legally. He said he knew more of his neighbors who had killed a bear one year than had not - all illegal harvest. An alligator takes up residence in your private pond here and he will very soon be turned into alligator bites. All of them.

I know a lot of us southern folk are presumed to be a little less above board than other parts of the country. I dont believe many of my rural neighbors would warm up to the idea of wolves roaming their land

How many folks up there will shoot a wolf - or are they all collared and their location tracked.