Winter wonder land my a$$

Woke up to a nice -15 deg F this morning with 15 mph winds and gusts to 25 mph. Supposed to get more snow and winds are supposed to be 30 mph and gusts to 50 mph. Not a good day for a picnic ...

we had a kurfufell at the barn/ getting to hotel.

14 below. Left all my horse medicine in the truck over night. Only two bottles froze. They Thawed with no precipitation crystals.

That insulated medicine bag paid for itself in spades!

I am a lucky Dawg!

Cossing the high line bridge into Wisconsin from Minnesota I saw a whitetail stand over a pile of spilt corn at the terminal.

Nothing but concrete parking lots around her.

My old dogs aren’t impressed with the cold.

-10 here right now -40 wind chill. Wind 25mph supposed to pick up to 50mph today.
2”-3” of snow over ice…I guess it could be worse.

Still balmy here in Florida relative to the rest of y'all... but... predicted to be 18 here tonight and then lows in 20s next three nights. 42 and sunny at this morning but bizarrely (for us) just gets colder and colder as daylight progresses. Wish y'all folks above the Mason Dixon would take this cold crap back up. Not what I signed up for when we moved to FL and subtropical plantings don't really like this much cold either. And sure this won't surprise y'all used to these fronts, but winds blowing strong as I can remember short of hurricanes that have hit us, and seems weird with crystal clear skies.

That and I shiver in my stand when it falls below 50 even if dressed like Ralphie's little brother! Some might think I'm joking, but promise I'm not! 😂

download (2).jpeg

Last edited:
A balmy 6 here at the moment in Nw Pa but it’s dropped 13* in the last hour. WC is probably around -20 with lake effect snow

-10 here right now -40 wind chill. Wind 25mph supposed to pick up to 50mph today.
2”-3” of snow over ice…I guess it could be worse.
Keep that stuff right over there in Ohio, H20!!!

This is the front door at the office.... The frost is on the INSIDE.....this side of the building faces the wind we are having... It's cold enough that even with the heat on inside the building the frost still hasn't melted....and I just took this pic.....it's 10:30 in the morning here!
door.jpg

Woke up to a Balmy -8 and windchill of -35 here in NW Missouri. Warmed up to -7 and -30 by 6:30 am. Kinda reminds me why I am happy not to be living in my old stomping grounds of Hibbing, Chisholm and Togo Minnesota.

Today is great day to work from home, enjoy the fireplace stove and dream of habitat improvements for 2023 and the buck tag I have yet to fill.

Image 12-23-22 at 10.23 AM.jpeg

-13 and -38 wind-chill when I went to the barn this morning. Little bit of ice around the top rim of the horse's heated water bucket. She'd be standing outside soaking up the sun if it weren't for the wind. Cats are all huddled together on the hay my wife spreads out for them.

The worst part of winters here is keeping the water running. Our well is above ground, in a pumphouse. The milkhouse heater keeps it above freezing as long as the thermostat stays working. I've replaced two well pumps in the eight years we've been here when a heater stopped working. And then there's the heater under the house to keep the pipes in the crawlspace from freezing. I think I'm up to 4 spots now where I've had to repair breaks.

Dogs are out just long enough to pee and there still hopping by the time they're done. And they all normally love the snow and cold.

I was outside knocking a foot or so of snow off my wood pile, and I looked at a pile of oak rounds I cut up in the fall but didn’t split, I thought damn, this would be perfect, I won’t sweat, and oak practically cracks in half with an ax when it’s this cold, but then I realized with the 30 mph winds and below 0 temp, there might be a better day to do that.

I do have a wood splitter, but I still enjoy swinging an ax for about a half hour.

Not as bad as predicted here just NE of ATL, GA, but it will definitely get your attention when you go outside. Saw a couple of fools at BPS that had no jackets and short sleeved shirts on.

1671833274205.png

Not as bad as predicted here just NE of ATL, GA, but it will definitely get your attention when you go outside. Saw a couple of fools at BPS that had no jackets and short sleeved shirts on.

View attachment 48300

Did they smell like Old Fashions and say “Ope” a lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know whether to admire or pity you boys way up north. Low of 10 to 12 degrees tonight here in NE GA and the whole area is shut down and shut in. Ventured out for bout 10 min this morn and ain't going back outside any time soon. Should be back up into the 50's early next week and lows in the mid to upper 20's.

Don't know whether to admire or pity you boys way up north. Low of 10 to 12 degrees tonight here in NE GA and the whole area is shut down and shut in. Ventured out for bout 10 min this morn and ain't going back outside any time soon. Should be back up into the 50's early next week and lows in the mid to upper 20's.

To be honest this weather isn’t even that bad. We had -18 this morning, with a little breeze, but most years we see mid-30’s, and wind. In fact this isn’t even the coldest it’s been this year. So the only reason the media is talking about it is because it pushed south.

I would rather be in below 0, then 100+. Either way you avoid the outdoors as much as you can.

To be honest this weather isn’t even that bad. We had -18 this morning, with a little breeze, but most years we see mid-30’s, and wind. In fact this isn’t even the coldest it’s been this year. So the only reason the media is talking about it is because it pushed south.

I would rather be in below 0, then 100+. Either way you avoid the outdoors as much as you can.
Absolutely agree. Was 2 with a -10 or so windchill this am in Tennessee. Obviously a huge anomaly for the area. I would take this for four months out of the year if it never got 90 with 75% humidity ever again.