Winter wonder land my a$$

559eec1f91c89d8d8d4478ed8a0a65e2.jpg

Is anyone else getting them out?

I wouldn’t have to use them yet, but I might go out and start packing a trail.

I need the exercise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think kooch is out trying to find his deer stand.

;)

I wanna see the next pic. All you still see is 1 path and a tiny blaze hat out on the horizon.

Yep, ready to get the snowshoes out and start making tracks.

Still no power here. Thank God for generators and natural gas. Fibre optics is good too!

Is anyone else getting them out?

I wouldn’t have to use them yet, but I might go out and start packing a trail.

I need the exercise

Ahh, the old Bob Maki cheap but effective binders. Those suckers are hard to stretch over a pac boot to get on. And on a lighter built hiking boot they seem to compress and scrunch your boot too much. They are durable and won't come loose though.

Recent years switched mine over to good leather binders, not cheap cost almost as much as a snow shoe. Faber stopped making them recently so for a second set of shoes bought binders off Etsy from a leather shop. More comfortable and secure decent to your boot.

Ahh, the old Bob Maki cheap but effective binders. Those suckers are hard to stretch over a pac boot to get on. And on a lighter built hiking boot they seem to compress and scrunch your boot too much. They are durable and won't come loose though.

Recent years switched mine over to good leather binders, not cheap cost almost as much as a snow shoe. Faber stopped making them recently so for a second set of shoes bought binders off Etsy from a leather shop. More comfortable and secure decent to your boot.

40e5642d67535571734a38e76b59d079.jpg

I could tell you I am old school, or tell you I am thrifty, or heck, just tell the truth. Cheap!

:)

I like the term "frugal". The pac boots I use to snowshoe when temps are single digits or below are Sorels what, 47 years old??!

Rubber bottoms are wore pretty smooth but no matter when strapped to a snowshoe. Not as warm as newer ones either but walking around all the time no matter.

Ice Kings for any sitting time. IK and snowshoeing would be sweating buckets.

That one looks like it doesn't miss too many lunches either.
67D116E4-0F45-45B7-A5AF-4C915D305AEE.png

I’m hoping and praying it’s this guy with his antlers off. I let my dad and son have their shot at him - no joy. This year the gloves are off for me. Last daylight photo was Oct 15. Last night photo was Nov 23.

I got two pair of wood frame snow shoes with those Bob Maki binders too. Bear paw's for in the woods.....and some pretty long "cross country's" that I prefer I open country. With the later....you dont get so bow-legged and they track straighter. The Bob Maki's were / are the best made bindings.....but as you say....you can pull a muscle when pulling those over your pack boots. Too bad they didnt find a bit softer durometer material for those bindings. So much good about them.....yet not very user friendly to strap 'em on. May have to pull mine on for old times sake.

I have some aluminum shoes too.....but I far prefer the old wood-frame shoes. Not so noisy when hunting....for starters.

I got two pair of wood frame snow shoes with those Bob Maki binders too. Bear paw's for in the woods.....and some pretty long "cross country's" that I prefer I open country. With the later....you dont get so bow-legged and they track straighter. The Bob Maki's were / are the best made bindings.....but as you say....you can pull a muscle when pulling those over your pack boots. Too bad they didnt find a bit softer durometer material for those bindings. So much good about them.....yet not very user friendly to strap 'em on. May have to pull mine on for old times sake.

I have some aluminum shoes too.....but I far prefer the old wood-frame shoes. Not so noisy when hunting....for starters.

Those bindings are a real bugger to get on when it is -10 or colder. I have brought the shoes in the house for a period on those days so the rubber will stretch better.

I like the term "frugal". The pac boots I use to snowshoe when temps are single digits or below are Sorels what, 47 years old??!

Rubber bottoms are wore pretty smooth but no matter when strapped to a snowshoe. Not as warm as newer ones either but walking around all the time no matter.

Ice Kings for any sitting time. IK and snowshoeing would be sweating buckets.

Many years ago, heck even decades ago, I got 5 or 6 pairs of those army surplus boots for $5 a pair. I am down to about two usable pairs left. Some were black and some were white(for extra cold weather). The snowshoes were also surplus at $15 per pair.

^ Those white "Bunny Boots" were the most sought after ones in the Military Surplus stores. I never bought any....prices were too high.....or I was too tight?

^ Those white "Bunny Boots" were the most sought after ones in the Military Surplus stores. I never bought any....prices were too high.....or I was too tight?

Weren’t the older felt ones also called bunny boots?

I remember sometime back in my first days of deer hunting, someone had a white felt pair. For deer season he tried to dye them red and they turned out pink.

I do like those rubber ones for ice fishing.

Weren’t the older felt ones also called bunny boots?

I remember sometime back in my first days of deer hunting, someone had a white felt pair. For deer season he tried to dye them red and they turned out pink.

I do like those rubber ones for ice fishing.

Yup. The white felt ones were from the WW2 and Korean war era. My oldest brother used to have a pair and colored them with a black magic marker.

^ Allot of us sahowing our age here. WWII Army surplus boots... 70+ years ago....LOL

2d856dd07a7bd687eee00df7f77df15b.jpg

Lots more snow since this picture from yesterday, but we are getting by.

Venison loin from the grill for supper.

I hope the worst is over with for a few days,

Art, that's a pretty neat old shed.

The road behind my house. Lots of branches and trees down from the heavy snows. No power here all day.

#GridLife

(Cough, cough)