winter rye prices

The first couple years I planted cereal rye for fall plots I had a hard time finding it when I wanted to plant it so I started buying 4-5 bushels the year before and storing them in plastic totes, this way I have some when I want to plant. The rye around here started coming off a week or so ago and I'm starting to see it on CL and at the elevator. I can't imagine having to paying $27 for a bushel of rye, I am always amazed at the difference in prices here on seed.

The first couple years I planted cereal rye for fall plots I had a hard time finding it when I wanted to plant it so I started buying 4-5 bushels the year before and storing them in plastic totes, this way I have some when I want to plant. The rye around here started coming off a week or so ago and I'm starting to see it on CL and at the elevator. I can't imagine having to paying $27 for a bushel of rye, I am always amazed at the difference in prices here on seed.
I like this idea and can't believe I never thought of it. I'm usually held up waiting for my coop to get their rye in before I can plant. And depending on my schedule that means that sometimes my rye gets planted much later than I want.

So I just called to check on price for this fall and was quoted $30 for a 50# bag of abruzzi rye. I either need to buy a combine or start ordering rye from Wisconsin by the train load!!

Aroostook, Spooner, Rymin, Hancock, Musketeer....many named varieties besides Abruzzi and Elbon which were developed for southern rye growers.

As whip and kabic stated, the vast majority of rye available locally (and cheaply) is going to be VNS. A bag of named variety rye costs me $20+ at any number of co-ops/creameries around here. A bag of VNS at a co-op a little more than half that amount. A bag of cleaned, bin run seed around $8. Which one do you think I plant for cover crops and deer? ;)

I never knew that. Thanks! All we get down here that I'm aware of are Elbon and Wrens Abruzii. That's what the co-ops and the seeds stores carry. Even on the blends it often has the specific names. I don't think I have the option of getting bin run rye. Gonna ask though just to see what they say. I get all my stuff from the local co-op normally.

Aroostook, Spooner, Rymin, Hancock, Musketeer....many named varieties besides Abruzzi and Elbon which were developed for southern rye growers.

As whip and kabic stated, the vast majority of rye available locally (and cheaply) is going to be VNS. A bag of named variety rye costs me $20+ at any number of co-ops/creameries around here. A bag of VNS at a co-op a little more than half that amount. A bag of cleaned, bin run seed around $8. Which one do you think I plant for cover crops and deer? ;)
I do the same with oats, bin run.

All of the varieties Stu listed were developed in MN, WI, and other areas of the far north for use in extreme winters. Elbon was developed by the Ok Agricultural Experimental Station in the 50's and Wrens Abruzzi was re-leased about 1970 by the Coastal Plain Experiment Station, Tifton, Ga. Here is a clip from a very old archive I found and saved many years ago on cereal rye...

Abruzzi and strains selected
from it have been grown in all the
States south of a line extending
from Oklahoma to Maryland.

So you can see there are 2 totally distinct "regional ecotypes" of winter rye, those breed for use in the south that are not as winter hardy as the more northern strains. One thing you will hear me stress is plant what is adapted to your growing zone and it is one less variable you can eliminate if you do have a crop failure.

Last edited:
I bought cleaned winter rye today for $10/bushel (56#bag).

I did talk with a guy at one of the local co-ops that explained the prices we have right now on rye are due to the flood last year as well as a lack of acres planted in 2014 in the southeast due to a price jump on peanuts. Seems it is more of a local issue due to weather the last 2 years so that at least makes a little sense.

I'll be going with the cheap wheat from the NWTF this year for most of my acres and back to rye once the prices settle back down.

Dang Kabic, I just got 2 bags from Elk Mound Seed for $14 per bushel. I thought that was pretty good.

Chuck

Stuff I got from that guy was kind of dirty, but we will see if it grows. I got 3 bushels and but one down on a small plot. His farm is actually not that far from Eau Claire (about half way to Fall Creek) off of HWY 12

Paid $12 per 50 lb bag at the coop in Adams on Saturday. Ace Hardware in town had bushels (56 lbs) for $18. Convenient for a Sunday or after hours pickup.

Just finished my planting. I found a big difference in prices. 17-24$ a bag in the Fox Valley/Green Bay areas and 9$ at a coop in Norway MI.

Peeps try family pet store on military in GB. $13 for a20160828_144556.jpg 50 of winter rye and you can pretty much get one any time of the year. I never read the tag so see which subspecies it is. It grows and they eat it. Mines three weeks old now.

Nobody has any VNS rye around here. I have to buy Pennington wintergrazer, $17/bag. It's several dollars cheaper than last year.

$10 a bag at coop in West Salem.

In north Mississippi $ 24 for 50 pound last year. Had to make a trip to Minnesota late July for other reasons and took a trailer and two super sacks or totes as they are called. Oats last year were 9.00 a bushel for seed oats.
In Minnesota I paid 6.00 a bushel for rye and 2.35 a bushel for oats loaded into the totes.

I could not have afforded to buy forty of each at local prices

$11/bushel here

I just picked up 4 bags of Abruzzi Rye (56 lb) for $16.50 a bag. Brooks oats are $13.50 a bag (50 lb) Local Farmers CO-OP

$18 per 56lb here in Central NC

I just picked up a 50# bag in Fall Creek for 10.50 on Saturday