winter rye prices

Nova

5 year old buck +
Who's got the best price on winter rye in MN these days. Best I have found is $11 a bushel. I need about 15 bushel for my middle of August project.

In Missouri most places will sell it by 50 pound bag, not bushel. Not sure what a bushel weighs, maybe 35 40 pounds? I pay low 20s for 50 pound bag.

Rye is listed at 56 lbs/bushel. I'd say your prices are half what I pay.

Check craigslist. Last year farmers in my area were selling it for $6 a bushel right out of the combine. I think I pay anywhere from $7.50 to just under $15 from my local coop depending on the year. Haven't bought or priced any this year yet.

Can you get rye "uncleaned" like you can wheat for half price? That's what i usually do for wheat, it just has some corn, soybeans or whatever was in the bin mixed in.

I found a new seed place and he is telling me $12 for 50 pounds. That is half what I usually pay. I checked today and it is still 3 weeks out.

What the heck. I just paid $5 for a 5 pound bag today!

What the heck. I just paid $5 for a 5 pound bag today!

Did the bag have a deer on it? Those pretty pictures raise the price significantly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No picture. Bought at our local feed store. Buckwheat is also 5# for $5, chicory is 2# for $15.50, alfalfa 2# for $9, 25# sunflowers for $11.

No picture. Bought at our local feed store. Buckwheat is also 5# for $5, chicory is 2# for $15.50, alfalfa 2# for $9, 25# sunflowers for $11.
Did you possibly get rye grass, not rye grain? I think it's more expensive. BTW, that's not a bad price for buckwheat.

Make sure you guys are getting cereal rye and not ryegrass. It will either be Elbon or Wrens Abruzzi

Make sure you guys are getting cereal rye and not ryegrass. It will either be Elbon or Wrens Abruzzi
It may "be" one of those varieties, but the bin/bag will likely say VNS, otherwise you will typically pay more for the "named" varieties.

She does sell perennial ryegrass, but this was marked winter rye.

I priced 50lbs for $15.50 a bag. I fined that the farmers don't post it on Craigslist until September when they are getting ready to plant.

What kind do you guys use?
I don't exactly remember what the bag says that I get from the local farm store, Stockman Farm Supply, but I think Whip is probably right that is VNS. It is a pretty plain brown bag with Winter Rye stamped on it.

FWIW I paid $13.50 for a bushel/56 lbs. in NW PA.

The seed stores around here haven't gotten any in yet but last year cereal rye was outrageous. Looking back at my notes I paid $27 a bag for for 500#. Our NWTF chapter's seed program has wheat each year for $5-7 a bag so it that makes it hard to spend the extra money when most folks don't realize the differences between wheat and rye. Heck even knowing the differences it is hard to spend 5x as much.