Wildgame Insite Air™

Let's think about where these are the most applicable. Sanctuary areas where you don't want to enter. So max range is 150 yards. Being conservative, let's say the max practical range is 100 yards. That's still to the point where you will have to be at best nearly entering your sanctuary areas to get the photos. And anyone that has sent files via Bluetooth knows it can be incredibly slow, even if you have too powerful devices. So you're going to be waiting for several minutes at best nearly inside your sanctuary areas.

Hopefully these types of technologies improve because I think they'll all be game changers. I'm looking forward to hearing some more user feedback. For the record, I have two wildgame innovations cameras and have constantly underestimated how well they will do. I think they're probably one of the better value cameras out there.

The area I plan to use it at that I mentioned previously is about a half acre island in the middle of a swamp/marsh area. Not easy to get to, saw nice buck sign there. Approximately 100 yds away on one side is a trail we always use..would love to be able to just sit there and download the pictures and even get a live shot/stream video.
Even if the reviews are good I'll definitely try it out before making the trek to that island. I get enough exercise.

The area I plan to use it at that I mentioned previously is about a half acre island in the middle of a swamp/marsh area. Not easy to get to, saw nice buck sign there. Approximately 100 yds away on one side is a trail we always use..would love to be able to just sit there and download the pictures and even get a live shot/stream video.
Even if the reviews are good I'll definitely try it out before making the trek to that island. I get enough exercise.

How does the cost compare to a pair of cuddelink cams if you only need thumbnail size pics? At 900 mhz I'm sure their transmission distance would exceed 100 yards. This would be a non-traditional use. I'd explore that option with Volkman on one of the Cuddelink threads if the total cost is in the same ballpark. You may find more traditional uses of the cuddelink if you find this island is a no-go situation for some reason.

If cost wasn't an issue, I'd steer you toward BEC, but it doesn't sound like you need that much capability. It is bullet proof though. The reason I think you should look at cuddelink is that they have been out for a while now and trusted guys on this forum are using them. You can get a good read from them on the difference between Cudde's advertising hype and actual performance in the field. It may be quite a while until you get reliable feedback on WGI Air true performance. Peeps and some others are real end users with experience and no vested interest. Volkman will give you the Cudde line and help with technical advice on the cams.

As I said in a previous post, I'm not 100% sure cuddelink can do this, but I vaguely recall reading about them using another cam as a base like BEC can.

Thanks,

Jack

No idea how much this Wildgame will be. Their new cellular one is around $160 on sites so maybe around that range. I've been reading up on the Cuddlink and it does look like that's how it works- it'd just be having to get two cameras instead of one..not really a negative if I can find a good place to put the home one in this area. Up to a mile transmission range in the open.. up to 1/2 mile in dense forest.

I like the idea of being able to livestream with this Wildgame but it'd probably just be a good way to wear down the batteries and see nothing. Unless I can hook up a solar panel..and put a mineral lick there :emoji_thinking:

No idea how much this Wildgame will be. Their new cellular one is around $160 on sites so maybe around that range. I've been reading up on the Cuddlink and it does look like that's how it works- it'd just be having to get two cameras instead of one..not really a negative if I can find a good place to put the home one in this area. Up to a mile transmission range in the open.. up to 1/2 mile in dense forest.

I like the idea of being able to livestream with this Wildgame but it'd probably just be a good way to wear down the batteries and see nothing. Unless I can hook up a solar panel..and put a mineral lick there :emoji_thinking:

Watch the "up to" descriptions. They can be deceiving. Cuddelink doesn't use 5 mile radios like my Orions, but just to give you a feel. The radios in my Orion cams are 5 mile radios. What that actually means that if you put two radios on either side of a lake and weather conditions are pristine, they can lock and transmit data at some low data rate. In practical terms, on my pine farm with high gain antennas on tall masts, I can get about 1/2 mile. Having said that, the 900 mhz in the Cuddelink will probably transmit further than a bluetooth solution.

Watch the "up to" descriptions. They can be deceiving. Cuddelink doesn't use 5 mile radios like my Orions, but just to give you a feel. The radios in my Orion cams are 5 mile radios. What that actually means that if you put two radios on either side of a lake and weather conditions are pristine, they can lock and transmit data at some low data rate. In practical terms, on my pine farm with high gain antennas on tall masts, I can get about 1/2 mile. Having said that, the 900 mhz in the Cuddelink will probably transmit further than a bluetooth solution.
Hi I happened to start reading this tread I was wondering what frequencies the Cuddelink uses From camera to camera how did you find it was 900mhz , I was going to try to find a better link antenna for my Cuddelink they use a 7 “To 8” do you think A longer like 15” would work better , I do that with my icom radios went from a 6” to 15” antenna it transmits mush better , we’re do you think I could find one

Hi I happened to start reading this tread I was wondering what frequencies the Cuddelink uses From camera to camera how did you find it was 900mhz , I was going to try to find a better link antenna for my Cuddelink they use a 7 “To 8” do you think A longer like 15” would work better , I do that with my icom radios went from a 6” to 15” antenna it transmits mush better , we’re do you think I could find one

Part of the spectrum around 900 mhz is unlicensed. There are FCC restrictions on how much power can be put out, but you don't need a license to operate at this frequency. This is why BEC and Cuddelink use it. BEC uses frequency hopping, I'm not sure if cudde uses that or another type of spread spectrum signal. None of that really matters other than they are broadcasting RF around 900 mhz and that frequency range has its own set of challenges.

I'm using a BEC system. All but one of my cameras are the old outdated Orion. They have been running flawlessly for me 24/7/365 since they were first released. In this frequency range, water really attenuates a signal. This can be water stored in the needles of pine trees or high humidity in the atmosphere. You get some bending at this frequency but it is too high for much. This means you need line of sight between radios. You can't go over a hill or bounce off the ionosphere like you can down in the ham band.

The next thing you need to know is how the network topology is set up. BEC was considering a self-organizing network for their newer system but I advised against it unless they could accurately monitor and balance power. If you don't know the power availability at each node, you may find the best path from a signal standpoint is the worst path from a power availability standpoint. (Power in this discussion is battery power not signal power). The BEC network routing is controlled by the user. As a user, I determine which cameras talk to which other cameras. This requires a more knowledgeable user, but allows for a much better network setup.

This discussion relates to antenna selection and power management (solar panels). So, if I know my camera locations and I know my network routing, I can select the right kind of antenna. Don't look at antennas from a length in inches perspective, look at them from a DB perspective. There are basically two types of antennas you will be dealing with, Omnidirectional and directional. While there are other designs, for the cost range of these kinds of systems, I'm limiting directional to yagi antennas.

The little rubber ducky antennas typically amplify by 3db. These often attach directly to the camera radio. You can get external yagi antennas at 6, 9, 13, or 14 db. The higher the gain, the narrower the beam and more accurately you must point the antenna. You can get external omni-directional antennas in 6 or 8 db. Now high gain omnidirectional antennas are actually directions, but in the vertical direction. The pattern looks like a donut. The gain is the same 360 degrees around your horizontally. Yagi antennas move power from back to front, so you need to point them.

I buy all my antennas from L-com. If a camera is only talking to another camera or base, it can use a directional antenna. If it talking to other cameras distribute around it, need to use an omni-directional antenna.

For example, at my place I have a large 14 db yagi on a tall mast located at camp in the SW corner of our farm. It is pointed toward the middle of the farm. There I have another tower with an 8 db omni-directional antenna on it. It is a routing camera. Other cameras are all around it. They use smaller 6 or 9 db yagi antennas pointed at the omni-directional antenna in the middle of the property. Because I know that routing camera will consume much more power because it is retransmitting pictures from the other cameras to the base, I have it setup with a very large solar panel that gets full sun. Since I control the routing, I can select the correct antenna for each camera and the correct solar panel and battery. My network is actually much more complex. This just describes a portion of it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jack

Part of the spectrum around 900 mhz is unlicensed. There are FCC restrictions on how much power can be put out, but you don't need a license to operate at this frequency. This is why BEC and Cuddelink use it. BEC uses frequency hopping, I'm not sure if cudde uses that or another type of spread spectrum signal. None of that really matters other than they are broadcasting RF around 900 mhz and that frequency range has its own set of challenges.

I'm using a BEC system. All but one of my cameras are the old outdated Orion. They have been running flawlessly for me 24/7/365 since they were first released. In this frequency range, water really attenuates a signal. This can be water stored in the needles of pine trees or high humidity in the atmosphere. You get some bending at this frequency but it is too high for much. This means you need line of sight between radios. You can't go over a hill or bounce off the ionosphere like you can down in the ham band.

The next thing you need to know is how the network topology is set up. BEC was considering a self-organizing network for their newer system but I advised against it unless they could accurately monitor and balance power. If you don't know the power availability at each node, you may find the best path from a signal standpoint is the worst path from a power availability standpoint. (Power in this discussion is battery power not signal power). The BEC network routing is controlled by the user. As a user, I determine which cameras talk to which other cameras. This requires a more knowledgeable user, but allows for a much better network setup.

This discussion relates to antenna selection and power management (solar panels). So, if I know my camera locations and I know my network routing, I can select the right kind of antenna. Don't look at antennas from a length in inches perspective, look at them from a DB perspective. There are basically two types of antennas you will be dealing with, Omnidirectional and directional. While there are other designs, for the cost range of these kinds of systems, I'm limiting directional to yagi antennas.

The little rubber ducky antennas typically amplify by 3db. These often attach directly to the camera radio. You can get external yagi antennas at 6, 9, 13, or 14 db. The higher the gain, the narrower the beam and more accurately you must point the antenna. You can get external omni-directional antennas in 6 or 8 db. Now high gain omnidirectional antennas are actually directions, but in the vertical direction. The pattern looks like a donut. The gain is the same 360 degrees around your horizontally. Yagi antennas move power from back to front, so you need to point them.

I buy all my antennas from L-com. If a camera is only talking to another camera or base, it can use a directional antenna. If it talking to other cameras distribute around it, need to use an omni-directional antenna.

For example, at my place I have a large 14 db yagi on a tall mast located at camp in the SW corner of our farm. It is pointed toward the middle of the farm. There I have another tower with an 8 db omni-directional antenna on it. It is a routing camera. Other cameras are all around it. They use smaller 6 or 9 db yagi antennas pointed at the omni-directional antenna in the middle of the property. Because I know that routing camera will consume much more power because it is retransmitting pictures from the other cameras to the base, I have it setup with a very large solar panel that gets full sun. Since I control the routing, I can select the correct antenna for each camera and the correct solar panel and battery. My network is actually much more complex. This just describes a portion of it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jack
Thanks for your explanation I am not familiar with this antenna stuff but i am interested to learn I didn’t know the omni directional and yogi antenna would work with 900 MHz signals ,I use a Omni direction for my cell booster at my cabin so I know what that is , I would think a higher dB rubber wipe antenna might be worth a try

Thanks for your explanation I am not familiar with this antenna stuff but i am interested to learn I didn’t know the omni directional and yogi antenna would work with 900 MHz signals ,I use a Omni direction for my cell booster at my cabin so I know what that is , I would think a higher dB rubber wipe antenna might be worth a try

Antennas are designed for particular frequency ranges. Omni and directional are two types of antennas. A yagi, for example may be a log-periodic design for VHF. At 900 mhz elements are typically spaced differently and are of equal length. Here is an example of an appropriate 13 db yagi for the 900 mhz band: https://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-900-mhz-13-dbi-ss-yagi-antenna-n-female-connector. Here is a 6db so you can see the relative size difference at this frequency: https://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-900-mhz-6-dbi-yagi-antenna-n-female-connector. Here is an 8db omni for comparison: https://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-900-mhz-8-dbi-omnidirectional-antenna.

Typical rubber duck is 3db. The highest gain I've seen is about 5db from a rubber duck.

Thanks,

Jack

Hi all just curious if anyone has used the Insite air camera and what’s you verdict.

I would like to try setting up a tplink cpe210 and see if it will connect to the Insite air, if so it might be possible to extend this trail camera a good distance from a home and still be able to retrieve the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all just curious if anyone has used the Insite air camera and what’s you verdict.

I would like to try setting up a tplink cpe210 and see if it will connect to the Insite air, if so it might be possible to extend this trail camera a good distance from a home and still be able to retrieve the pics.

Have yet to see it for sale anywhere.

Tamarack i have not seen it for sale anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Response from Wildgame: "These are shipping to Bass Pro, Cabela's, and Tractor Supply this week."

Tempting..Insite Air

I see they didn't change the illumination range to feet in their info....

Last edited:
BPS has them for $99.97 for anyone that is looking.

spypoint link micro's are $99 at BPS too.

BPS has them for $99.97 for anyone that is looking.

In store only? It's still saying unavailable online..for me at least.

FYI, Tractor Supply price matches. I just picked up the spypoint there at the BPS price. Just had to show a picture of the basspro ad at checkout from my phone. They were out of the Insite Airs.

I picked up an insite cell at basspro today. Looks to be well built but I can’t get the dam thing to even take a picture. I got the app, created an account, and successfully linked my camera to it, and bought a cell plan but it still says the camera doesn’t have a cell plan. The setup directions are basically non existent step 1 add batteries step 2 connect to the app is basically it. I was able to pull up the live video but once you logg out you can’t connect again and have to restart the camera to connect again plus it has an orange light that is constantly flashing for god knows why. Typical wild game crap.

the app is the same for the both versions cell and WiFi. options are extremely limited - no multi shot or anything this things headed back to basspro

Attachments

• DCD46049-6062-430E-89BC-2F0F5F86CEDE.png
    DCD46049-6062-430E-89BC-2F0F5F86CEDE.png
    683.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2910BA73-2B00-4008-A169-36A928CB7AC3.jpeg
    2910BA73-2B00-4008-A169-36A928CB7AC3.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DA951034-01EE-49EF-B812-165326526939.png
    DA951034-01EE-49EF-B812-165326526939.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 93FE1911-8900-48A4-BD96-8CD859728614.png
    93FE1911-8900-48A4-BD96-8CD859728614.png