Wild idea

SD51555

5 year old buck +
This weekend is the last for rifles in zone 1 in MN. It's also forecast to be as cold as the case of what really happened between Paul Pelosi and David DePape.

I'm not jazzed about sitting in single digits with wind, even in a blind. It's forecast to warm up next week over thanksgiving.

I'm considering not hunting this weekend, and instead spending the couple days getting a half acre of trees knocked down in my sanctuary. Then I'd come back next week when it's warmer and bowhunt where I dropped the trees.

Crazy?

Early snows and first frigid temps have always been terrible for deer sightings at my place.

If your name is PELOSI you can do anything you want. I would buy a target if it had Nancy on it. Just sayin'

So you're going to spend the last weekend of rifle season kicking around in your sanctuary? Any chance that will push bucks out to be shot by neighbors?

Have you tried any of the electric jackets they make now days? They help a lot.

So you're going to spend the last weekend of rifle season kicking around in your sanctuary? Any chance that will push bucks out to be shot by neighbors?

I don’t think anyone else will be hunting, almost certainly nowhere near me. Spirits are pretty well crushed by 3rd weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's a dumb idea....how I would do it...would be a dumb idea. Because I would do it in the dark.... to reduce the chance of me pushing deer to other hunters. I have probably done dumber things before, but running a saw via flashlight, probably isn't a real good idea....but it's what I would do. And yes, I do still have all my fingers.

I don’t think anyone else will be hunting, almost certainly nowhere near me. Spirits are pretty well crushed by 3rd weekend.

Then go for it! I imagine the tops you bring down will be browsed soon afterwards, creating a new plot of sorts and maybe helping your next bowhunt?

Then go for it! I imagine the tops you bring down will be browsed soon afterwards, creating a new plot of sorts and maybe helping your next bowhunt?

The deer get on ash and birch tops faster than the cops get on a friend attacking Paul Pelosi with a hammer.

If I got them down this weekend, they’d be in full chow down within 3 days and probably last for a month or better.

The deer get on ash and birch tops faster than the cops get on a friend attacking Paul Pelosi with a hammer.

So your saying they don't find them very quick, and when they do they aren't exactly sure what's going on?

I would avoid any habitat work in a sanctuary during any deer season, especially the MN gun season. I don't think the benefits outweigh the risks. Doing a little cutting closer to the cabin probably wouldn't push them off your property though.

Did you guys shoot anything on your place this year?

I would avoid any habitat work in a sanctuary during any deer season, especially the MN gun season. I don't think the benefits outweigh the risks. Doing a little cutting closer to the cabin probably wouldn't push them off your property though.

Did you guys shoot anything on your place this year?
Yeah, we took a doe on the last sit.

I never knew how many deer were around until dropping a bunch of browse in their lap in the winter. They bed right there or very close so be aware of that.

This weekend is the last for rifles in zone 1 in MN. It's also forecast to be as cold as the case of what really happened between Paul Pelosi and David DePape.

I'm not jazzed about sitting in single digits with wind, even in a blind. It's forecast to warm up next week over thanksgiving.

I'm considering not hunting this weekend, and instead spending the couple days getting a half acre of trees knocked down in my sanctuary. Then I'd come back next week when it's warmer and bowhunt where I dropped the trees.

Crazy?

Very few outdoor activities are enjoyable on windy days at any time of year

My wildlife feel the same......they all stay home and dont get out of bed

bill

I don't think it's a dumb idea....how I would do it...would be a dumb idea. Because I would do it in the dark.... to reduce the chance of me pushing deer to other hunters. I have probably done dumber things before, but running a saw via flashlight, probably isn't a real good idea....but it's what I would do. And yes, I do still have all my fingers.

reminds me of that car jumping off a ramp that you posted a few years back

pretty funny stuff!

bill

Not sure it's crazy, definitely different. Some risk/reward at play.

I’m sure you know but its also muzzleloader season for a couple weeks after this weekend.

Edit to add: if you could get the cutting done on Sunday I’d probably hunt sat still. At least the morning if nothing else.

Last edited:
reminds me of that car jumping off a ramp that you posted a few years back

pretty funny stuff!

bill
I do lots of "dumb stuff" according to my wife.... ramping cars, cutting things down in the dark, "trimming" trees with a rifle, cleaning out backed up gutters in storms, putting ladders in FEL to reach roofs I shouldn't be on in the first place., ratchet strapping a ladder to a tree to reach a limb while the ladder itself wasn't on the ground, trimming limbs of a tree while in a tree stand with a chainsaw... you know, stuff we have all probably done before. There is a method to the madness....maybe not justified, but there is always a reason!

I think its a great idea. I had a couple tops of soft maple fall behind my house last winter and there were 13 deer in there on night eating the tops. They were there for about a week or two until they must have ate the good stuff up.

Bring your gun while you cut though, just in case!

I know anytime I run the chainsaw, deer are in the area within hours.

Honestly I enjoy habitat work about as much as shooting a deer.