How long can you keep a bare root tree before planting?

Freeborn

5 year old buck +
Hi Group,

I'm looking for recommendations on what to do with my apple tree order from SLN. I just got them today and unfortunately Minnesota is having a long winter and I would estimate I am 3 weeks away from being able to plant them.

Based on what I read I should probably toe them in at home before I try to move them north to my farm. Problem is my ground is still frozen here and we are still having nighttime temps well below freezing.

Long term forecast has us warming to high 40's later next week and most likely warmer the a week later. I'm wondering if I should keep them in my shed for a week and then toe them in for the remaining time before I plant them. I could use an Ice pick to get them in the ground and buy bags of dirt to mound and cover what I have to.

Anybody ever have to wait a few weeks before they got their trees in the ground? What did you do?

Thanks!

I'd put them in a garbage can with damp sawdust/shavings or a couple bags of potting soil on top.
Try not to disturb the small hair-roots on the trees.
Shelter them outside, on the north side of your house.
Wait for Spring.

As long as you keep the roots damp and they arent leafing out you have time until they need to be planted. Try not to allow the roots to repeatedly thaw and freeze. I would keep them in a location as close to freezing as possible without freezing them.

The next few days we have evening temps below freezing. I think I'll keep the trees bundle as they are and in my tuck under garage which always stays above freezing but cool when temps are in the teens. After Tuesday evening temps will be above the mid-twenties and I will move the trees into my utility shed.

Thanks for the tips on keeping the roots damp, I'll keep a close eye on them. Glad to hear they can make it for a few weeks, lets hope spring arrives in the north, were all a little anxious.

Freeborn, what varieties did you order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the list from SLN this Year. I am buying a few more trees locally and a few pears as well.

Sweet Sixteen
Trailman
Snow Sweet
Spartan
Violas
Minnesota 1734
Jordan Russet
Kerr Apple
Chestnut Crabapple
Ashmeades Kernel Apple

Looks like good choices, Jerry. I put a 1734 in last year. Also put a violi’s and a trailman in a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my SLN order on Friday. I've had to keep my trees for several weeks until planting before. I just kept the roots damp with slightly wet potting soil that I added to the sawdust they were shipped in. I sealed the roots back in plastic trash bag, making sure I had enough potting soil to completely cover all the roots. I stored the trees in my unheated garage in a dark corner........ temp. about 40 degrees. They kept fine and didn't lose one tree.