Grafting temp effects?

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
I know it’s too cold now, but here in PA we are having a very warm end to February. Is there a dramatic negative effect on grafts if it freezes/frosts? I know I need to wait a few weeks, but last year I waited too long and I don’t want to do that again…my issue is that it looks like the latter 1/3 of March is going to be colder than normal and I have some time coming up to be doing some grafting and also need to get them done before a new family member arrives sometime in early to mid April…thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: I have no clue definitively.
But I would think dormant is dormant. You're sealing the graft so it's not going to freeze anymore then a branch on a tree.

Are you talking about top working existing trees or grafting to rootstock? If top working, the biggest issue with grafting before a tree is actively pushing sap is that the scion could dry out before the callus forms. You can probably hold grafts on root stocks for a month after the callus forms if you keep them cold.

I know it’s too cold now, but here in PA we are having a very warm end to February. Is there a dramatic negative effect on grafts if it freezes/frosts? I know I need to wait a few weeks, but last year I waited too long and I don’t want to do that again…my issue is that it looks like the latter 1/3 of March is going to be colder than normal and I have some time coming up to be doing some grafting and also need to get them done before a new family member arrives sometime in early to mid April…thanks in advance!
When did you do them last year?

When did you do them last year?
Late April/early May ..also have learned a lot this winter about my technique so that may have played a role also

I'm hardly an expert, but what worked for me last year was grafting dormant scion onto rootstock ( in the ground ) that was just about to push leaves.

Are you talking about top working existing trees or grafting to rootstock? If top working, the biggest issue with grafting before a tree is actively pushing sap is that the scion could dry out before the callus forms. You can probably hold grafts on root stocks for a month after the callus forms if you keep them cold.
Grafting onto existing mature trees and maybe doing some top working

I'm hardly an expert, but what worked for me last year was grafting dormant scion onto rootstock ( in the ground ) that was just about to push leaves.
Its the same for me with regular - unplanted/shipped root stock and dormant scion, I like to sweat the root stock - get it to break dormancy and then graft dormant scion onto it, park it back in "cool" storage to rest and heal for a week or so in damp sawdust, then pot out or direct plant.

Personally I just let the trees tell me then. Wait until you clearly see bud swell at least. You can graft until the leaves are about the size of a dime and still have good success.

You need to wait. You don't actually wan the rootstock to be dormant. I needs to be active to give you a good shot at success. When bench grafting, this usually means I but the rootstock in a basement or garage where it is about 50 to 65 degrees F. When the buds swell, I graft, and then I put the whole thing back in the same place for 2 weeks to let it heal a bit before i pot it. When field grafting, you want the risk of frost to be completely over. In Ohio I have grafted into June and July without issues, but I would at least wait for the trees to break bud and the risk of frost to be over.

I have recently started using a different graft than the typical "top work" bark graft or cleft graft with a nurse branch. If I want to topwork a tree entirely, I graft below the nurse branch and wait for the graft to take, and then I cut off everything above the graft. This is especially useful on Callery pears that like to throw a lot of growth below a graft.

Sorry for all the typos. I've moved continents, and the predictive text and autocorrect are completely confused.

You need to wait. You don't actually wan the rootstock to be dormant. I needs to be active to give you a good shot at success. When bench grafting, this usually means I but the rootstock in a basement or garage where it is about 50 to 65 degrees F. When the buds swell, I graft, and then I put the whole thing back in the same place for 2 weeks to let it heal a bit before i pot it. When field grafting, you want the risk of frost to be completely over. In Ohio I have grafted into June and July without issues, but I would at least wait for the trees to break bud and the risk of frost to be over.

I have recently started using a different graft than the typical "top work" bark graft or cleft graft with a nurse branch. If I want to topwork a tree entirely, I graft below the nurse branch and wait for the graft to take, and then I cut off everything above the graft. This is especially useful on Callery pears that like to throw a lot of growth below a graft.
Thanks for the advice on the callery pear I have one that needs some new branches soon..