Bench Grafting questions

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
How long do you guys store your grafts. Cummins web site said 2-12 wks!?
Just grafted last night so April 1st puts me at 2 wks.
Also read on their grafting instructions not to store cuttings with fruit in same fridge!? I did not know this and stored them in zip lock with lots of fruit in my fridge! Am I screwed? Cuttings looked healthy

The reason they say not to use a fridge with fruit is that fruit gives off a gas that can tell the scions to break dormancy. As long as you scions have not broken dormancy you will be fine.

I put my bench grafts back in the cold room for about a week. I then brought them in and started them under lights. I'll move mine outside after the last threat of frost. Most of mine seem to be doing well so far: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/winter-rootstock-availability.10183/page-3#post-195701

How fast the callus depends on the temp. A week worked for me.

Thanks,

Jack

I asked my buddy that same question. Store them until the danger of frost is past, then plant.

Two or three weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason they say not to use a fridge with fruit is that fruit gives off a gas that can tell the scions to break dormancy. As long as you scions have not broken dormancy you will be fine.

I put my bench grafts back in the cold room for about a week. I then brought them in and started them under lights. I'll move mine outside after the last threat of frost. Most of mine seem to be doing well so far: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/winter-rootstock-availability.10183/page-3#post-195701

How fast the callus depends on the temp. A week worked for me.

Thanks,

Jack
Thanks for your first hand feedback Jack!

If I can, I work my way backward from when I want to plant out after the last frost to decide when to graft. I'd like to have 2-3 weeks in my basement for the grafts to callous. My basement is pretty warm so I don't want to leave them much longer than that or the scions start pushing growth. I keep the rootstock refrigerated until I graft. If I had a cool spot, say in the 40F range where I could store the grafts after callousing, I would be comfortable with grafting early like Cummins does and keeping them dormant until planting out.