Grafting Outside (when)...?

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
When do you seasoned vets graft outside? I have a numerous grafts that didn't take last year for 1 reason or another. I am planning to do it when its consistently above 35 at night. That wouldn't be at least until Late March though or even Mid April. What do you guys do that are in my kind of climate w/ grafting outside?

It is generally recommended on apples to wait until the leaf buds are just opening, up to the size a "squirrels ear".

It is generally recommended on apples to wait until the leaf buds are just opening, up to the size a "squirrels ear".

I've never really looked at a squirrels ear, are we talking inner ear? :)

Do it as soon as the bark slips. In my experience that is before the bud opens. I don't like waiting until the buds open because it can be warmer then and wind and heat can dry out your scions before you get them inserted and sealed.

I always plant my trees around the 15th of April which has never been a problem and its an easy day to remember lol ...... especially if you owe Uncle Sam

For topworking, wait until after the tree (rootstock) is starting to leaf out. Last year, I grafted close to 100 seedling crabs in Jackson County around May 10 or so. I had very close to 100% take. The only downside is that you have to store your scion wood for longer. I think most people topwork way too early. It was actually so easy last year, I thought I might be doing it wrong. Read this article, then read it again.

http://blogs.cornell.edu/plantpathhvl/files/2015/02/12-3-Hoying-NYFQ-grafting-28tz2tf.pdf

Good luck, it's really fun stuff

DSCN2691.JPG

1/2" green, bark is usually slipping good then.

Last edited:
For topworking, wait until after the tree (rootstock) is starting to leaf out. Last year, I grafted close to 100 seedling crabs in Jackson County around May 10 or so. I had very close to 100% take. The only downside is that you have to store your scion wood for longer. I think most people topwork way too early. It was actually so easy last year, I thought I might be doing it wrong. Read this article, then read it again.

http://blogs.cornell.edu/plantpathhvl/files/2015/02/12-3-Hoying-NYFQ-grafting-28tz2tf.pdf

Good luck, it's really fun stuff

x2 on this. I did mine in early May or late April as well. I'm not 100% sure on the date, so I'll say from April 25th-May5th. I had 100% of those that had adequate sun take.

x2 on this. I did mine in early May or late April as well. I'm not 100% sure on the date, so I'll say from April 25th-May5th. I had 100% of those that had adequate sun take.
Also, a one year old tree might be kinda skinny to bark graft. Maybe try a cleft graft? What do the experts here think?

Also, a one year old tree might be kinda skinny to bark graft. Maybe try a cleft graft? What do the experts here think?

Depends on root stock size and scion size. Cleft grafts will work just as well if you are working with a small root stock. I would say my personal recommendation would be to cleft graft if the scion is more than 1/4 the size of the root stock.

Depends on root stock size and scion size. Cleft grafts will work just as well if you are working with a small root stock. I would say my personal recommendation would be to cleft graft if the scion is more than 1/4 the size of the root stock.

I had to do that on one of my big box trees last year. I wanted to get at least 2 scions on each tree since I was nervous about doing it the first time. What would probably be somewhat of a low quality scion for lots of bench grafters (smaller than pencial diameter) was perfect for roostocks that were about the size of my thumb.